The digital collections of the Library of Congress contain a wide variety of material associated with the presidential election of 1880, including broadsides, prints, political cartoons, sheet music, newspaper articles, and government documents. This guide compiles links to digital materials related to the presidential election of 1880 that are available throughout the Library of Congress Web site. In addition, it provides links to external Web sites focusing on the 1880 election and a selected bibliography.
1880 Presidential Election Results 
James A. Garfield
Chester A. Arthur
Winfield S. Hancock
Library of Congress Web Site | External Web Sites | Selected Bibliography
An American Time Capsule: Three Centuries of Broadsides and Other Printed Ephemera
The Printed Ephemera collection comprises 28,000 primary-source items dating from the seventeenth century to the present and encompasses key events and eras in American history. While the broadside format represents the bulk of the collection, there are a significant number of leaflets and some pamphlets.
- An epitaph in memory of the Democratic party. Died November 2d 1880. [New York? 1880].
- For president James A. Garfield. For Vice President Chester A. Arthur. Presidential electors. Electors at-large. Sidney S. Warner. Charles H. Grosvenor. District electors. Anthony D. Bullock. Alfred T. Goshorn. Robert E. Dorn ... .
- Gen. Grant's reasons for supporting Gen. Garfield. A sharply-drawn contrast. Speech at Warren, O., Sept. 28, 1880.
- General order No. 329. "We pledge ourselves anew to the constitutional doctrines and traditions of the Democratic party, as illustrated by the teachings and example of a long line of Democratic statesmen." Democratic national platform, 1880.
- Give us the old ticket. The people want it. Five millions of Democrats voted for it in 1876 They will vote for it in 1880. Tilden, Hendricks and victory!
- Rebel echoes. No. 1-4 [n. p. 1880.].
- Republican ticket. For electors of president and vice president of the United States. Henry B. Norton, Abijah Catlin, Amos Pease, Erastus Brainerd, Eugene S. Boss, Phineas C. Lounsbury. For Governor: Hobart B. Bigelow ... [s. l., 1880].
- Senator Blaine's letter to an Irishman. Bangor. October 29th, 1880.
- Speech of Gen. Jas. A. Garfield delivered to the "boys in blue." New York, August 6, 1880.
This site allows you to search and view millions of historic American newspaper pages from 1836-1922. Search this collection to find newspaper articles about the presidential election of 1880.
A selection of articles on the 1880 presidential election includes:
- "Garfield for President," New-York Tribune. (New York, N.Y.), June 9, 1880.
- "The Nation's Choice: The Standard Bearing of the Republican Party," Bismarck Tribune. (Bismarck, N.D.), June 11, 1880.
- "Winfield Scott Hancock, Will Lead the Democratic Hosts to Victory," The Salt Lake Herald. (Salt Lake City, Utah), June 25, 1880.
- "Hancock and English. What the Press and People Think and Say About Them," The Daily Dispatch. (Richmond, Va.), June 26, 1880.
- "Garfield. He is Elected by an Overwhelming Majority," Bismarck Tribune. (Bismarck, N.D.), November 5, 1880.
- "Garfield Elected. The People Speak in No Uncertain Voice," St. Johnsbury Caledonian. (St. Johnsbury, Vt.), November 5, 1880.
Performing Arts Encyclopedia (PAE)
The PAE is a guide to performing arts resources at the Library of Congress and provides information about the Library's unsurpassed collections of scores, sheet music, audio recordings, films, photographs, and other materials. Search the PAE to find over 60 pieces of sheet music related to 1880 presidential election.
A selection of sheet music from the 1880 presidential election includes:
Pictorial Americana: Selected Images from the Collections of the Library of Congress
Pictorial Americana, a Library of Congress publication, contains a chapter listing selected images related to the 1880 presidential election.
Prints & Photographs Online Catalog (PPOC)
Search PPOC to find additional prints, political cartoons, and other digital images related to the presidential election of 1880.
A selection of images from the 1880 presidential election includes:
- 15--14--13. The great presidential puzzle
- An unexpected blow
- The Appomattox of the third termers - unconditional surrender
- Bewailing the invunerability of General Hancock
- The bird to bet on
- Genl. Jas. A. Garfield, Genl. Chester A. Arthur
- Going for a 3rd term
- Head-and-shoulders portraits of Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock and Honr. William H. English in ovals, surrounded by patriotic motifs
- Interior view of the great exposition building, in Chicago, decorated for the Republican Convention, June 2nd, 1880
- James A. Garfield Republican candidate for president - Chester A. Arthur Republican candidate for vice president
- Ohio--opening of the presidential campaign--the National Democratic Convention in session in Music Hall, Cincinnati
- The Republican National Convention at Chicago
- Republican National Convention at Chicago, June 2, 1880 Independent America
- A weak ticket in the field - and a weaker expected--If the Republicans have done feebly at Chicago, what may we expect of the Democrats at Cincinnati?
- Where both platforms agree--no vote--no use to either party
- Winfield S. Hancock. Democratic candidate for President. William H. English. Democratic Candidate for Vice-President
July 2, 1881
On July 2, 1881, Charles J. Guiteau shot and fatally wounded the newly inaugurated U.S. President James A. Garfield in the lobby of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Depot in Washington, D.C.
The American Presidency Project: Election of 1880
The American Presidency Project Web site presents election results from the 1880 presidential election.
HarpWeek: The Presidential Elections 1860-1912
This HarpWeek Web site features political cartoons from Harper's Weekly, Leslie's Illustrated Weekly, Vanity Fair, Puck, Judge, and American Political Prints, 1766-1876: A Catalog of the Collections in the Library of Congress. It provides explanations of the historical context and images of each cartoon, campaign overviews, biographical sketches, a review of the era's major issues, and other valuable information related to the 1880 presidential election.
The Campaign Primer. New York: F. Harrison, 1880. [Catalog Record] [Full Text]
The Campaign Text Book: Why the People Want a Change; the Republican Party Reviewed; Its Sins of Commission and Omission; a Summary of Leading Events in Our History Under Republican Administration. New York: National Democratic Committee, 1880. [Catalog Record] [Full Text]
Great Republican Speeches of the Campaign of 1880. Stapleton, N.Y.: Staten Island Publishing Company, 1881. [Catalog Record] [Full Text]
James A. Garfield. His Speeches at Home. 1880. Oneonta, N.Y.: C.S. Carpenter, 1880. [Catalog Record] [Full Text]
Official Proceedings of the National Democratic Convention, Held in Cincinnati, O., June 22d, 23d, and 24th, 1880. Dayton, Ohio: Printed at the Daily Journal Book and Job Rooms, 1882. [Catalog Record] [Full Text]
Our Presidential Candidates and Political Compendium. Also Containing Lives of the Candidates for Vice-President--the Proceedings of the Three National Conventions--the Three Platforms and the Three Letters of Acceptance. Life of General J. A. Garfield, by E. B. Kennedy. Life of General J. B. Weaver, by S. D. Dillaye. Life of General W. S. Hancock, by Henry Hill. Political Compendium, by F. C. Bliss. Newark, N.J.: F. C. Bliss, 1880. [Catalog Record] [Full Text]
Proceedings of the Republican National Convention, Held at Chicago, Illinois, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday, June 2d, 3d, 4th, 5th, 7th and 8th, 1880. Chicago: The Jno. B. Jeffery Printing and Publishing House, 1881. [Catalog Record] [Full Text]
The Republican Campaign Text Book for 1880. Washington, D.C.: Republican Congressional Committee, 1880. [Catalog Record] [Full Text]
The Republican Leaders: Biographical Sketches of James A. Garfield, Republican Candidate for President, and Chester A. Arthur, Republican Candidate for Vice-President. New York: The National Republican Committee, 1880. [Catalog Record] [Full Text]
Ackerman, Kenneth D. Dark Horse: The Surprise Election and Political Murder of President James A. Garfield. New York: Carroll & Graf Publishers, 2003. [Catalog Record]
Clancy, Herbert J. The Presidential Election of 1880. Chicago: Loyola University Press, 1958. [Catalog Record]
1. Presidential Elections, 1789-2008. (Washington, D.C.: CQ Press, 2010), 139, 229.