Featured Book of the Month
When Pierre –Joseph Redoute published his three installment publication he created a thing of great beauty as well as a scientific compendium on the botany of roses. Commissioned by none other than Empress Josephine, this work is a reflection of what was considered fashionable and visually appealing in royal circles at the time. Making use of a scientific understanding of botany and a painterly eye, Redoute created a work that chronicles an interesting time in history when art and science intersected to produce a work of knowledge as well as beauty.
See the blog post Redoute's Royal Roses for more information about this book.
Visit our new Pinterest board on Roses by Redouté
The Rare Book and Special Collection Division Reading Room
101 Independence Ave. SE
Thomas Jefferson Building, LJ 239
Washington, D.C. 20540-4740
Map showing location
Weekdays, 8:30am-5:00 pm
* Final book requests at 4:15pm
Closed Sat/Sun & Federal holidays
Want to ask our reference staff a question about the rare book & special collections?
What's New in Rare Books
Books available from the Library of Congress Sales Shop:
Featured Online Content
This extensive collection of Lincolniana is now available online from the Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
View collection online »
The Gutenberg Bible is the first great book printed in Western Europe from movable metal type. It marks a turning point in the art of bookmaking and in the transition from the Middle Ages to the modern world. Completed in Mainz, Germany, probably in late 1455, Johann Gutenberg is generally credited with inventing the process of uniform type. The Bible was purchased for the Library of Congress from Dr. Otto H. F. Vollbehr by an act of Congress in 1930.
|The unique materials of the Rare Book
and Special Collections Division, now totaling over 800,000 items,
include books, broadsides, pamphlets, theater playbills, prints,
posters, photographs, and medieval and Renaissance manuscripts. At
the center is Thomas Jefferson's book collection, which was sold
to Congress in 1815.