METS News and Announcements
METS Version 1.8 Schema is Now Current Version (April 29, 2009)
Version 1.8 of the METS schema moved from "candidate" to "official
current version " status today. This version of the schema is now
available at both of the following URLS:
The first, more generic URL always points to the current, official
Version 1.x of the mets schema.
Version 1.8 of the METS schema is fully backwards compatible with
version 1.7, and includes the following changes and additions:
- CRC32, Adler-32, and MNP have been added to the enumerated values
constraining CHECKSUMTYPE to align with MIX messageDigestAlgorithm
- TEXTMD and METSRIGHTS have been added to the enumeration values
- An MDTYPEVERSION attribute has been added as a companion to the
MDTYPE attribute in the mdRef and mdWrap elements.
- The ID and
STRUCTID attributes on the <behavior> element have been made optional.
Depending on whether the behavior applies to a transformFile element or
div elements in the structMap, only one or the other of the attributes
- All documentation has been aligned with the METS Primer, and
corrected where indicated. (We have not yet, but will, also make all of
these documentation corrections in the Primer itself).
- xml:lang="en" atttribute value has been added to every
- xlink:extendedLink support has been added to the <structLink>
element by means of a new <smLinkGrp> element, and its child
<smLocatorLink> and <smArcLink> elements.