PREMIS OWL Draft Ontology for version 3
Draft for review, December 18, 2017-May 4, 2018
(As of June 21, 2018, the comment period has ended and final revisions are being made.)
PREMIS is based on a data model that defines the entities that are described (Objects, Events, Agents and Rights), the properties of those entities (semantic units), and relationships between them. The PREMIS OWL ontology provides an RDF encoding reflecting that model. The PREMIS Editorial Committee convened a working group to revise the earlier PREMIS OWL ontology, which was based on version 2.2.
This revision is based on the PREMIS Data Dictionary, version 3.0. It has substantially remodeled the previous ontology, incorporating emerging Linked Data best practices and connections to other relevant RDF ontologies, e.g. PROV-O (Provenance ontology), Dublin Core metadata terms, and the preservation vocabularies at http://id.loc.gov/preservationdescriptions/, among others. The working group encourages people in the preservation, metadata and linked data communities to review and provide comments before it is finalized. The review period is between December 18, 2017-March 23, 2018 (extended to May 4, 2018).
Comments may be sent to [email protected] or join the conversation at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/premis-ontology-review-2018
- Guidelines for Using the PREMIS Version 3 OWL Ontology [PDF, 1.3MB]
- PREMIS OWL Ontology List of Classes and Properties [PDF, 165KB]
- PREMIS OWL Ontology Version 3 (on Github)
- Full PREMIS Examples (also available on Github )
- Mapping PREMIS 3 Data Dictionary to RDF [PDF, 192KB]
- Proposed Changes to id.loc.gov Preservation Vocabularies [PDF, 128KB]
- Questions for Reviewers [PDF, 72KB]
- Webinar: Preservation Metadata as Linked Data: Revising the PREMIS Ontology (Feb. 22, 2018)