Gender Code and Term Source Codes
Gender Source Codes contains a list of standard code and/or term sources for specifying the gender of a person and assigns a code to each source. The purpose of this list is to enable the gender vocabulary used in metadata records to be identified by a code. For code assignment, general structure, usage, and maintenance guidelines see Source Codes for Vocabularies, Rules, and Schemes.
Arrangement of the List
Entries in the list are arranged in alphabetical order by the code and consist of the source code followed by the bibliographic citation for the source documentation. The citations are linked to the online source for some codes.
Each code consists of a maximum of 12 lowercase alphabetic and numeric characters. Possible additions to codes are described in Source Codes.
Gender Source Codes
- Art & architecture thesaurus (Los Angeles, CA: Getty Research Institute, Getty Vocabulary Program)
- Agricultural thesaurus and glossary (Beltsville, MD: National Agricultural Library)
- Homosaurus: an International Thesaurus of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Index Terms (Worcester, Mass.: College of the Holy Cross)
- Codes for the Representation of Human Sexes (ISO/IEC 5218:2004) (Geneva: International Organization for Standardization)
- LC Demographic Group Terms (Washington, DC: Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress subject headings (Washington, DC: Library of Congress, Cataloging Distribution Service)
- Medical subject headings (Bethesda, MD: National Library of Medicine)
- Thésaurus des descripteurs de groupes démographiques de l'Université Laval (Québec: Université Laval)
Gender Source Code Usage in MARC
MARC 21 Formats and Fields
- Authority records
- 375 $2 (Gender / Source of term)