Arts and Crafts: Basketry
Baskets and the making of baskets were important to many different American Indian cultures. A Keyword search for basket will generate a lengthy list of photographs of a variety of different baskets; the following are just a few examples:
- Washo baskets of the Diegueños of Southern California
- Hupa basket from Northern California
- Nunivak baskets of Alaska
Study photographs of baskets from several different Native American cultures. Answer the following questions:
- How did the baskets differ in design? Consider shapes, patterns, and materials used.
- What were the different uses of baskets? How functional were they? Are baskets used in the same ways today?
- What inferences can be made about the culture of American Indian groups from their baskets?