An American Time Capsule: Three Centuries of Broadsides and Other Printed Ephemera provides a unique view of American History using items such as posters, business cards, flyers, catalogs, advertisements and leaflets. These items capture experiences from important turning points such as the American Revolution, Civil War, Western Land Rush, Women's Suffrage Movement and Industrial Revolution.
In a hurry? Save or print these Collection Connections as a single file.
These online exhibits provide context and additional information about this collection.
These historical era(s) are best represented in the collection although they may not be all-encompassing.
- Colonial Settlement, 1492-1763
- The New Nation, 1780-1815
- Expansion and Reform, 1801-1861
- The Civil War and Reconstruction, 1850-1877
- Development of the Industrial United States, 1876-1915
- Emergence of Modern America, 1890-1930
- The Great Depression and World War II, 1929-1945
- Postwar United States, 1945-early 1970s
- Contemporary United States, 1968-Present
Related Collections and Exhibits
- America Singing: Nineteenth-Century Song Sheets
- American Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1940
- Posters: WPA Posters
- Documents from the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention, 1774-1789
Recommended additional sources of information.
Specific guidance for searching this collection.