Using documents from the Library of Congress, students investigate electrification as both a technological and social process. A focus of the student's investigation is Thomas Edison.
Students will be able to:
- analyze the role of Thomas Edison in the electrification of America;
- demonstrate an understanding of electrification as both a technological and social process;
- analyze advertising and assess its significance as it relates to electrification and consumption;
- develop an understanding of the emergence of the mass-consumer economy.
- Two weeks
Recommended Grade Level
- Science, Technology & Business
- City & Regional History
- Rise of Industrial America, 1876-1900
- Progressive Era to New Era, 1900-1929
Robert Gabrick & Barbara Markham