Was it compromise or hypocrisy?
A.T.J.S. of A. Anti-Thomas Jefferson Society of America
We of the A.T.J.S. of A. do hereby declare that Thomas Jefferson will be indicted for crimes against humanity!
We do therefore make the following charges:
- Thomas Jefferson wrote in the Declaration of Independence that all men are created equal even though he owned more than 200 slaves at his home in Monticello.
- In his Notes on Virginia, Jefferson makes inflammatory and derogatory remarks directed against African Americans.
- He makes no mention of the rights of African Americans in the Declaration of Independence.
- He has not released all of his slaves in accordance with the prevailing sentiment that slavery was morally and ethically wrong in the period after the Declaration of Independence.
- He has denied African Americans the inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness accorded in the Declaration of Independence.
- He mentions injuries done to the colonists by King George III, but we assert that Mr. Jefferson was only referring to white colonists in the colonies.
Therefore, we, the members of the A.T.J.S. of A. do hereby bring forth a civil lawsuit against the person and estate of Thomas Jefferson. We will find the best counsel and see to it that justice be done. Our organization is dedicated to the eradication of Thomas Jefferson as a Founding Father, President, and "Enlightenment" figure.
Our charge is to gather evidence AGAINST Thomas Jefferson. Some of the sources to be used include:
- The Papers of Thomas Jefferson (American Memory)
- Chronology of Events
- Declaration of Independence
- George Washington to Thomas Jefferson, August 23, 1792
- Thomas Jefferson to William Short, January 3, 1793
- Thomas Jefferson to John Adams, September 4, 1823
Gather evidence AGAINST Thomas Jefferson. Be sure to cite your sources for each piece of evidence you find.