NOTE: This handout may be printed out for use with Port of Entry activities.
Port of Entry: Immigration
Handout 3: What's New at the Library?
Learn more about the American Memory historical collections and other online resources from the Library of Congress. Start with a visit to the Library' s World Wide Web site (http://www.loc.gov/). As you explore this site, complete the activities below.
- Describe what happened "Today in History."
- List five or more "American Treasures" currently on exhibit at the Library.
- Use THOMAS to find the names of the members of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives from your state.
- Solve the history mystery on the Teachers Page.
- Name three or more legendary baseball figures pictured on cards in the American Memory historical collection. Explain how and why baseball cards originated.
- List the American Memory collections you might use to learn more about turn-of-the-century America.