I was treated to this wonderful soup by a new friend. It is hot enough to cause eyes to tear, but it is also delicious!
approx. 3/4 lbs. tilapia (fresh, if available)
2 - 3 cups of water
scant teaspoon of salt
2-4 habenero peppers (depending on one's tolerance for HEAT)
1. Place fish in medium saucepan and cover with water. Add salt and onion.
2. Bring liquid to boiling point, then cover and simmer until fish is cooked (about 15 - 20 minutes)
3. While fish is cooking, place peppers in blender or food processer with about 1/4 c. water. Chop until pepper is in very fine pieces.
4. Slice tomatoes into segments and reserve.
5. When fish is cooked, transfer contents of the pot to a bowl and set aside.
6. Place peppers and water in the pot and bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes to cook out some of the fire.
7. Gently put the fish, broth and reserved tomato back in the pot with the habenero mixture, and reheat.
Serve with a good bread to help quench the fire. Enjoy!