Press Contact: John Sullivan (202) 707-9216
Lucy Suddreth (202) 707-9191
April 6, 1993
Celebration of Acquisition of 100 Millionth Item
WHAT: Ceremony to celebrate the Library's 100 millionth acquisition, name to be revealed, and to open a special two-week exhibition of other new acquisitions that represent the extraordinary breadth of the Library's collections.
WHERE: East Corridor of the Great Hall, Jefferson Building, 10 First Street, S.E. Washington, D. C.
WHEN: 11 a.m., Tuesday, April l3 Members of the press are welcome to cover this special ceremony on the 250th anniversary of Thomas Jefferson's birth.
WHO: Dr. James H. Billington, Librarian of Congress; Rep. Vic Fazio (D-Calif.), Chairman, House Subcommittee on Legislative Branch Appropriations, will receive the donated acquisition on behalf of the nation; noted American historian Robert Remini; and Mr. John Kluge, Chairman of the Madison Council.
In addition to the l00 millionth acquisition, other items on display will include:
- Books from Thomas Jefferson's personal collection, which form the core of the Library of Congress;
- Five political cartoons by Mexican artist Helioflores;
- Computer discs with full Hebrew texts that include Rabbinic legal opinions, the Old Testament, and the Babylonian and Jerusalem Talmuds;
- Contract with NBC, signed by Arturo Toscanini in l944;
- A l5th-century pamphlet that is the first printed account of the Portuguese discoveries in Africa.
- Original, handwritten manuscript of "White Christmas", the best-selling song of all time, from the Irving Berlin Collection.
# # #