Press Contact: Craig D'Ooge (202) 707-9189

June 28, 1994

Library of Congress Publishes History of DC Library Association

With sponsorship by its Center for the Book, the Library of Congress has just published Capital Libraries and Librarians: A Brief History of the District of Columbia Library Association, 1894-1994. The attractive 76-page book, published to celebrate the centenary of the District of Columbia Library Association (DCLA), includes more than 20 illustrations and appendices listing DCLA presidents and publications, 1894-1994. The text is by John Y. Cole, director of the Library's Center for the Book.

In the preface, Cole notes that "among the nation's library associations, DCLA has played a unique role in increasing awareness about federal libraries and librarianship, in providing information and improved access to the rich library resources of the nation's capital, and in educating librarians and citizens about the importance of legislative action on behalf of all types of libraries." Individual chapters are devoted to Washington, D.C. in the Gilded Age, the creation of DCLA, the establishment of the D.C. Public Library, professional interests and activities of DCLA members, publications, the growth of the federal library community, and to the development of legislative support for libraries--particularly after the establishment of the Washington office of the American Library Association in 1945.

Capital Libraries and Librarians is available in person and by mail from the Library of Congress Retail Sales Shop. The price is $15.00. Please add $5.00 for postage and handling if ordering by mail. Orders should be sent to Library of Congress, Sales Office, Washington, D.C. 20540. Credit card orders may be placed by phone. Call (202) 707-0204 to place orders or for more information.

The Center for the Book in the Library of Congress was established in 1977 to stimulate public interest in books, reading, and libraries and to encourage the study of the role of books and print culture. Its projects and those of its affiliated state centers are supported by private contributions from individuals, corporations, and foundations.

# # #

PR 94-109
6/28/94
ISSN 0731-3527

Back to top