Map shows location of Union and Confederate troops between Missionary Ridge and West Chickamauga Creek. After Confederates succeeded in breaking through the Union lines, the bulk of the Union forces retreated toward Chattanooga. Union Gen. George H. Thomas and his men held onto a tenuous position on Snodgrass Hill and repulsed assault after assault.
Illustrates a detailed outline of the actual prison yard with acreage and stockade dimensions given. Also, shows the surrounding area where the following sites were located: "death house," graveyard, rifle trenches, forts, including the one where Captain Henry Wirz had his headquarters and loghouse, Union hospital, cook house, and soup house.
Regional view of Savannah, Ga., with the many landforms (rivers, sounds, swamps, islands) noted as well as the locations of forts Jackson and Pulaski. The Savannah & Gulf Railroad, Georgia Central Railroad, and Ogeechee Canal are also indicated.
Regional view of Savannah and enrivons just before the Union arrival at that place. Shows the layout of canals, creeks, rivers, swamps, roads and railroads around Savannah as well as the various outlying Confederate batteries and those occupied by Federal troops. There is some indication of the names of property owners and also notations of rice and cotton fields that were either flooded or ...
Map shows a detailed plan of the Andersonville prison complex including locations of external defenses, guards' and officers' quarters, hospital, storehouses, cook house, and graveyard, and the use of the terrain (swamps, creeks) as boundaries.
Map shows a detailed layout of the city of Atlanta, Ga., including the batteries and earthworks in the surrounding area. The Western Atlanta and the Macon & Western Railroad are also indicated. The map depicts the situation in the city as of 1 September 1864; the city fell to Sherman's army on the 8th.
Also shown is the result of an attack by Union Gen. William B. Hazen's 2nd Division, 15th Corps, 1864 December 13, which succeeded in taking the garrison. Shows a portion of Big Ogeechee River and indicates the location of Confederate Fort McAllister. On March 3, 1863 Union gunboats and ironclads attacked the fort in order to test the effectiveness of their new monitors, which ...
Concerns a Confederate prison camp for Northern soldiers that was brand new in October 1864 when Sneden was transferred from Savannah, Ga., back inland to Camp Lawton at Millen, Ga. Sneden shows the 44-acre stockade and then the immediate area outside of the stockade where there was a Confederate camp, fort, hospital, and log residences for the Confederate officers. Also, depicted is a tent ...
Illustrates the layout of Andersonville Camp, as Sneden refers to the prison, and the surrounding area where Confederate guard troops of the 1st Florida Battery were stationed including the headquarters of Captain Henry Wirz, roads in and out, topographical features such as swampland, a graveyard presumed to be connected with the prison, and "Anderson Village." Sneden revised this map and it is available as ...
Printed map of Savannah, Ga., and environs indicating rivers and creeks, swamps and marshes, cultivated and flooded fields, and names of selected landowners. Annotations by Sneden highlight the positions of Union and Confederate forces and show the direction of Confederate General Hardee's retreat on the night of December 20th, 1864.
Map shows the location of Union forces near the Ogeechee River outside of the Confederate held city of Savannah, Ga. The map also depicts the location of the Union fleet on the Savannah River and in the Atlantic Ocean. Details of the terrain show how a direct assault would have been difficult.
Includes Confederate fortifications and batteries in and around Savannah, Ga., during Sherman's March to the Sea, also referred to as the Savannah Campaign of 15 November to 21 December 1864. Sneden includes Argyle Island in the Savannah River, past the city to Fort Pulaski on Cockspur Island, and Big and Little Tybee islands, where Union forces were located in November 1864.
Map shows the plan of Andersonville Prison Camp including the stockade, the town of Anderson Station on the Macon and Americus Rail Road, the locations of Confederate units serving as guards, and the headquarters of camp commandant Maj. Henry Wirz.
This regional view locates the prison camp in relation to Columbia, Macon, and Milledgeville, Ga., as well as the town of Andersonville. Parts of bordering Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina are also indicated.