Regional map of Charleston Harbor extending along the Atlantic Coast from Sullivan's Island just north of the harbor entrance to St. John's and Kiawah islands to the south. Indicates the presence of Union warships off the coast and places along the coastline where the Union has established a foothold.
Regional view of Charleston Harbor showing the city of Charleston on the Ashley and Cooper rivers, Castle Pinckney on Shute's Folly Island, Pleasantville and Mt. Pleasant Battery, Mechanicsville and batteries on Sullivan's Island, and the Morris and James island batteries, and their distances from Fort Sumter. Shipping channels and the U.S. warships and supply fleet are also noted.
Map shows the location of Union and Confederate fortifications on James, Sullivan, Block and Morris islands at the entrance to Charleston Harbor, S.C. In July 1863, Union generals Gillmore and Dahlgren hoped to take Fort Wagner, on Morris Island in Charleston Harbor, in order to gain a vantage point from which to launch an attack on the city of Charleston. Strongly defended by the ...
Shows the progression of earthworks constructed to allow Union forces to approach Fort Wagner. Gillmore's troops reached the ditch surrounding the fort on September 6. The Confederate forces abandoned the fort during the night.