CollectionAaron Copland Collection The first release of the online collection contains approximately 1,000 items that yield a total of about 5,000 images. These items date from 1899 to 1981, with most from the 1920s through...
- Contributor: Copland, Aaron - Kraft, Victor
- Date: 1841
Collection Items: View 982 Items
CollectionAbdul Hamid II Collection This collection contains 1,819 photographs in 51 large-format albums date from about 1880 to 1893. They portray the Ottoman Empire during the reign of one of its last sultans, Abdul-Hamid II and...
- Contributor: Abdülhamid II - Abdullah Frères - Sebah & Joaillier
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 1,819 Items
CollectionAbdul-Hamid II Collection of Books and Serials Gifted to the Library of Congress In 1884 Sultan Abdul-Hamid II gifted the Library of Congress with a collection of Ottoman Turkish, Persian, Arabic works that he had richly embossed with this inscription in English, French and Ottoman:...
Collection Items: View 323 Items
CollectionAbraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress The papers of Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865), lawyer, representative from Illinois, and sixteenth president of the United States, contain approximately 40,550 documents dating from 1774 to 1948, although most of the collection spans...
- Contributor: Lincoln, Abraham
Collection Items: View 20,206 Items
CollectionAfrican American Perspectives: Materials Selected from the Rare Book Collection "African American Perspectives" gives a panoramic and eclectic review of African American history and culture and is primarily comprised of two collections in the Rare Book and Special Collections Division: the African...
- Date: 1875
Collection Items: View 798 Items
CollectionAfrican American Photographs Assembled for 1900 Paris Exposition The Paris Exposition of 1900 (Exposition universelle internationale de 1900) devoted a building to matters of "social economy." The United States section of the building featured an exhibit that, according to W....
- Contributor: Du Bois, W. E. (William Edward Burghardt) - Calloway, Thomas J. - Daniel Murray Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1899
Collection Items: View 557 Items
CollectionAfrican-American Band Music & Recordings, 1883-1923 The core of this presentation consists of "stock" arrangements for bands or small orchestras of popular songs written by African Americans. In addition, we offer a smaller selection of historic sound recordings...
- Date: 1883
Collection Items: View 365 Items
CollectionAfter the Day of Infamy: "Man-on-the-Street" Interviews Following the Attack on Pearl Harbor After the Day of Infamy: "Man-on-the-Street" Interviews Following the Attack on Pearl Harbor presents approximately twelve hours of opinions recorded in the days and months following the bombing of Pearl Harbor from...
- Date: 1941
Collection Items: View 139 Items
CollectionAlan Lomax Collection The Alan Lomax Collection includes ethnographic field documentation, materials from Lomax’s various projects, and cross-cultural research created and collected by Alan Lomax and others on traditional song, music, dance, and body movement...
- Contributor: Lomax, Alan - Archive of American Folk Song - American Folklife Center - Association for Cultural Equity
- Date: 1933
Collection Items: View 6,605 Items
CollectionAlan Lomax Collection of Michigan and Wisconsin Recordings In 1938 the Library of Congress dispatched the pioneering folklorist and song collector Alan Lomax—already a seasoned field worker at age 23—to conduct a folk song survey of the Great Lakes region....
- Contributor: Aho, Lillian - Aho, Pekka - Allen, Perry - Bangac, Petar - Baratono, Art - Basrak, Stjepan - Bellaire, Exilia - Bellaire, Mose - Berky, Nandor - Bonner, Daniel ... Aho, Lillian - Aho, Pekka - Allen, Perry - Bangac, Petar - Baratono, Art - Basrak, Stjepan - Bellaire, Exilia - Bellaire, Mose - Berky, Nandor - Bonner, Daniel - Bonner, Patrick - Brideup, Louis - Cadeau, Ed - Cadeau, John - Cadeau, Mathilda - Carrière, Dolphis - Carrière, Fred - Cloud, Joe - Cloud, Clarence - Delmas, Adolphus - Dobričan, Lazar - Dragić, Todor - Erickson, Max - Floriani, Margaret - Floriani, Veko - Floriani, Vladimir - Forster, Yalmer Eino - Frazier, Belle - Frazier, Calvin - Frazier, Clara - Frazier, Lonnie - Frazier, Viola - Fredrickson, John - Fredrickson, Kaisa - Gallagher, Dominic - Gallagher, Andrew E. - Gallagher, Emerald - Gaza, V. Sipoo - Graham, Bert - Green, John W. - Grbić, Ludevit - Guzal, Frank - Halinen, Selma Elona - Happy Jack Woodward - Härkönen, Amanda - Hirvelä, Wäin - Hulan - Hyvönen, John - Jackson, Andrew - Juhani, Aapo - Kallio, Kalle - Kania, Felix - Ketvirtis, Charles - King, Edward - Korvenpaa, Charles - Krawezak - Kruczynski, Clara - Kubesh, John G. - Kubien, Rose - Larson, Nils - Larson, John - Larson, Steen - Lathrop, Carl - Leclaire, Leilia - Lewandowski, Edwina - Lewandowski, Stephan - Lewandowski, Stephanie - Lewandowski, Ted - Mahoski, Henry - Maki, Emil - Maki, Frank - Marczis, Joseph - Marinetti, Victor - Marinetti, John - Marttila - Maté - McBride, Bill - McCauley, Edward - McCarthy, Barney - McCormick, Ed - McDonough, Patrick - Meyers, Herman - Miron, Joe - Nemeth, Kalman - Niewiadomska, Frances - Norman, John - O'Donnell, Mike J. - Olah, Julius - Palmer, Mason - Pischner, Helen - Pittman, Sampson - Pohjala, Aina - Pol, Thomas - Pope, Allan C. - Preda, Emil Milan - Rajčević, Stepan - Rautanen, Vernon - Ricksgers, Joseph - Romel, Adolph - Romel, Leo - Romel, Sylvester - Romel, Ted - Romel - Rudzinski, Alex - Sainović, Ilija - Scheffer, Peter - Sielvankiewiez - Similä, Gusti - Strzelecki, Tony - Styes, Archie - Szilagyi, Dizso - Szabo, Andy - Thrasher, Ed - Tomić, Pajo - Trivanović, Stefan - Trueblood, Asel - Vasvary, Steve - Velin, Maria - Viita, Frank - Vizina, Adelore - Vujanović, Stjepan - Wallen, Mr. - Warslzyk, Tony - Wells, Lester - Lomax, Alan - Archive of American Folk Song
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 444 Items
CollectionAlexander Graham Bell Family Papers at the Library of Congress The collection contains over 145,000 items. The online version contains 4,695 items (equaling about 51,500 images), consists of correspondence, scientific notebooks, journals, blueprints, articles, and photographs documenting Bell's invention of the telephone...
- Contributor: Bell, Alexander Graham - Bell, Alexander Melville - Bell, Mabel Gardiner Hubbard - Fairchild, Marian - Hubbard, Gardiner G. (Gardiner Greene)
Collection Items: View 4,715 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Papers The papers of Alexander Hamilton (ca. 1757-1804), first treasury secretary of the United States, consist of his personal and public correspondence, drafts of his writings (although not his Federalist essays), and correspondence...
- Contributor: Hamilton, Alexander - First Church in Albany
Collection Items: View 881 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Stephens Papers The papers of Alexander Hamilton Stephens (1812-1883), lawyer, journalist, governor of Georgia, member of both houses of the United States Congress, and vice president of the Confederate States of America, span the...
- Contributor: Stephens, Alexander H. (Alexander Hamilton)
Collection Items: View 124 Items
CollectionThe Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana The collection contains more than 11,100 items. This online release presents over 1,300 items with a over 4,000 images and a date range of 1824-1931. It includes the complete collection of Stern's...
- Contributor: Stern, Alfred Whital - Library of Congress - Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1824
Collection Items: View 1,541 Items
CollectionAmerica at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894-1915 Work, school, and leisure activities in the United States from 1894 to 1915 are featured in this presentation of 150 motion pictures. Highlights include films of the United States Postal Service from...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 158 Items
CollectionAmerica Singing: Nineteenth-Century Song Sheets Contains 4291 song sheets. Included among these American songs are ninety-seven British song sheets from Dublin and London. The collection spans the period from the turn of the nineteenth century to the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Rare Book and Special Collections Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 4,293 Items
CollectionAn American Ballroom Companion: Dance Instruction Manuals, ca. 1490-1920 A collection of over two hundred social dance manuals at the Library of Congress. The list begins with a rare late fifteenth-century source, Les basses danses de Marguerite d'Autriche (c.1490) and ends...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Music Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 333 Items
CollectionAmerican Colony in Jerusalem, 1870-2006 This electronic presentation features selected materials from the physical American Colony in Jerusalem Collection. The full collection in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress represents well over 16,600 items stemming...
- Contributor: American Colony (Jerusalem) - Spafford, Anna T. - Spafford, Horatio Gates - Vester, Bertha Spafford
Collection Items: View 131 Items
CollectionAmerican English Dialect Recordings: The Center for Applied Linguistics Collection The Center for Applied Linguistics Collection contains 118 hours of recordings documenting North American English dialects. The recordings include speech samples, linguistic interviews, oral histories, conversations, and excerpts from public speeches. They...
- Contributor: Abbott, Fortis - Aspinall, Wayne N. - Emerson, Lee - Earhart, Amelia - La Guardia, Fiorello H. (Fiorello Henry) - Marshall, Fred - Mencken, H. L. (Henry Louis) - Mele, Joseph C. - Christian, Donna - Center for Applied Linguistics - National Endowment for the Humanities - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1935
Collection Items: View 505 Items
CollectionAmerican Leaders Speak: Recordings from World War I The Nation's Forum recordings were made between 1918 and 1920 in an effort to preserve the voices of prominent Americans; in most cases, they are the only surviving recordings of a speaker....
- Contributor: Baker, Newton Diehl - Butler, Nicholas Murray - Clark, Champ - Colby, Bainbridge - Coolidge, Calvin - Cox, James M. (James Middleton) - Cummings, Homer S. (Homer Stillé) - Daniels, Josephus - De Valera, Éamon - Gerard, James W. (James Watson) ... Baker, Newton Diehl - Butler, Nicholas Murray - Clark, Champ - Colby, Bainbridge - Coolidge, Calvin - Cox, James M. (James Middleton) - Cummings, Homer S. (Homer Stillé) - Daniels, Josephus - De Valera, Éamon - Gerard, James W. (James Watson) - Gompers, Samuel - Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel) - Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison) - Hitchcock, Gilbert M. (Gilbert Monell) - Lane, Franklin K. - Lewis, James - Lodge, Henry Cabot - Long, Breckinridge - McAdoo, W. G. (William Gibbs) - Owen, Robert L. (Robert Latham) - Palmer, A. Mitchell (Alexander Mitchell) - Pershing, John J. (John Joseph) - Poindexter, Miles - Purdy, Richard A. (Richard Augustus) - Robinson, Corinne Roosevelt - Rockefeller, John D., (John Davison) - Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano) - Vanderlip, Frank A. (Frank Arthur) - White, George - Wise, Stephen S. (Stephen Samuel) - Wood, Leonard
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 97 Items
CollectionAmerican Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1940 This collection of life histories consists of approximately 2,900 documents, compiled and transcribed by more than 300 writers from 24 states, working on the Folklore Project of the Federal Writers’ Project, a...
- Contributor: United States. Work Projects Administration - United States. Works Progress Administration - Federal Writers' Project - Writers' Program (U.S.)
Collection Items: View 2,847 Items
CollectionAmerican Notes: Travels in America, 1750-1920 Comprises 253 published narratives by Americans and foreign visitors recounting their travels in the colonies and the United States and their observations and opinions about American peoples, places, and society from about...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2003
Collection Items: View 255 Items
CollectionAmerican Revolution and Its Era: Maps and Charts of North America and the West Indies, 1750-1789 The collection represents an important historical record of the mapping of North America and the Caribbean. Most of the items presented here are documented in Maps and Charts of North America and...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Geography and Map Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 1,415 Items
CollectionAmerican Variety Stage: Vaudeville and Popular Entertainment, 1870-1920 This collection illustrates the vibrant and diverse forms of popular entertainment, especially vaudeville, that thrived from 1870-1920. Included are 334 English- and Yiddish-language playscripts, 146 theater playbills and programs, 61 motion pictures,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1996
Collection Items: View 726 Items
CollectionAndrew Jackson Papers The Andrew Jackson Papers is one of twenty-three presidential collections in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress. The Jackson archival collection contains more than 26,000 items dating from 1767 to...
- Contributor: Jackson, Andrew
Collection Items: View 17,171 Items
CollectionAnna Maria Brodeau Thornton Papers The seven volumes of diaries and notebooks, 1793-1861, of Anna Maria Brodeau Thornton (ca.1775-1865) document her position at the center of a Washington, D.C., social circle that included George and Martha Washington,...
- Contributor: Thornton, Anna Maria Brodeau
Collection Items: View 12 Items
CollectionAnsel Adams's Photographs of Japanese-American Internment at Manzanar In 1943, Ansel Adams (1902-1984), America's most well-known photographer, documented the Manzanar War Relocation Center in California and the Japanese-Americans interned there during World War II. For the first time, digital scans...
- Contributor: Adams, Ansel
- Date: 1943
Collection Items: View 258 Items
CollectionArchitecture, Design & Engineering Drawings The Architecture, Design, and Engineering category covers about 40,000 drawings (described in more than 3,900 catalog records), spanning 1600 to 1989, with most dating between 1880 and 1940. The designs are primarily...
- Date: 1750
Collection Items: View 1,710 Items
CollectionArchive of Hispanic Literature on Tape Listen to audio recordings of prominent Hispanic writers including Nobel Laureates Gabriel García Márquez, Juan Ramón Jiménez, Gabriela Mistral, Pablo Neruda, and Octavio Paz, and renowned writers Jorge Amado, Jorge Luis Borges,...
Collection Items: View 310 Items
CollectionArchive of Recorded Poetry and Literature Listen to audio-recorded readings of former Consultants in Poetry Elizabeth Bishop, Gwendolyn Brooks and Robert Frost; Nobel Laureates Mario Vargas Llosa and Czeslaw Milosz, and renowned writers such as Ray Bradbury, Margaret...
Collection Items: View 489 Items
CollectionBain Collection The George Grantham Bain Collection represents the photographic files of one of America's earliest news picture agencies. The collection richly documents sports events, theater, celebrities, crime, strikes, disasters, political activities including the...
- Contributor: Bain, George Grantham - Bain News Service
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 41,447 Items
CollectionBand Music from the Civil War Era On September 27, 1974, the Music Division of the Library of Congress re-created a typical concert of brass band and vocal music from mid-nineteenth-century America. That concert has become the starting-point for...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Music Division
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 19 Items
CollectionBaseball Cards The Benjamin K. Edwards Collection includes 2,100 early baseball cards dating from 1887 to 1914. Distributed in cigarette packs, these cards were the forerunners of modern sports trading cards. They portray such...
- Contributor: American Tobacco Company
- Date: 1887
Collection Items: View 2,093 Items