CollectionThe Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana The collection contains more than 11,100 items. This online release presents over 1,300 items with a over 4,000 images and a date range of 1824-1931. It includes the complete collection of Stern's...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana (Library of Congress) - Stern, Alfred Whital
- Date: 1824
Collection Items: View 1,541 Items
CollectionAmerican Colony in Jerusalem, 1870-2006 This electronic presentation features selected materials from the physical American Colony in Jerusalem Collection. The full collection in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress represents well over 16,600 items stemming...
- Contributor: Spafford, Anna T. - Spafford, Horatio Gates - American Colony (Jerusalem) - Vester, Bertha Spafford
Collection Items: View 131 Items
CollectionAnsel Adams's Photographs of Japanese-American Internment at Manzanar In 1943, Ansel Adams (1902-1984), America's most well-known photographer, documented the Manzanar War Relocation Center in California and the Japanese-Americans interned there during World War II. For the first time, digital scans...
- Contributor: Adams, Ansel
- Date: 1943
Collection Items: View 258 Items
CollectionBain Collection The George Grantham Bain Collection represents the photographic files of one of America's earliest news picture agencies. The collection richly documents sports events, theater, celebrities, crime, strikes, disasters, political activities including the...
- Contributor: Bain, George Grantham - Bain News Service
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 41,447 Items
CollectionBrady-Handy Collection In 1954 the Library of Congress purchased from Alice H. Cox and Mary H. Evans, the daughters of Levin C. Handy approximately 10,000 original, duplicate, and copy negatives. The L.C. Handy Studio...
- Contributor: Handy, Levin C. (Levin Corbin) - Brady, Mathew
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 5,005 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings Offers more than 9,000 original drawings for editorial cartoons, caricatures, and comic strips spanning the late 1700s to the present, primarily from 1880 to 1980. The cartoons cover people and events throughout...
- Contributor: Bartholomew, Charles Lewis - Mauldin, Bill - Johnson, Herbert - Frueh, Alfred Joseph - Berryman, Clifford Kennedy - Cesare, Oscar Edward - Kirby, Rollin - Crockett, Gib - Covarrubias, Miguel - Mahony, Felix - Conacher, John C. - Muḥaṣṣiṣ, Ardashīr - Kelly, Walt - Harrington, Oliver W. (Oliver Wendell)
- Date: 1794
Collection Items: View 5,869 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Herblock Collection Herbert L. Block (1909-2001), known to the world as Herblock, was one of the most influential political commentators and editorial cartoonists in American history. His long chronicle of major social and political...
- Contributor: Block, Herbert
- Date: 1930
Collection Items: View 9,111 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Swann Collection of Caricature and Cartoon Contains 2,085 drawings, prints, and paintings related to the art of caricature, cartoon, and illustration, spanning the years 1780 to 1977 and includes works by 521 American and foreign artists and illustrators....
- Contributor: Caroline and Erwin Swann Collection (Library of Congress) - Swann, Erwin
- Date: 1780
Collection Items: View 773 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, American This assemblage of more than 500 prints made in America during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries encompasses several forms of political art. Most of the prints are from the division's PC/US series,...
- Contributor: Baillie, James S. - Maurer, Louis - Magee, John L. - Bucholzer, H. - Currier & Ives - Currier, Nathaniel - Childs, John - Clay, Edward Williams - Robinson, Henry R.
- Date: 1766
Collection Items: View 819 Items
CollectionCurtis (Edward S.) Collection The Curtis collection consists of more than 2,400 silver-gelatin, first generation photographic prints--some of which are sepia-toned--made from Curtis's original glass negatives. Most of the photographic prints are 5" x 7" although...
- Contributor: Curtis, Edward S.
- Date: 1899
Collection Items: View 1,074 Items
CollectionDaguerreotypes There are approximately 700 daguerreotypes in the Prints & Photographs Division. The majority of the images are portraits, but the collection does include a few early architectural views, outdoor scenes, and copies...
- Contributor: Washington, Augustus - Cornelius, Robert - Anson, Rufus - Brady, Mathew
- Date: 1839
Collection Items: View 861 Items
CollectionDetroit Publishing Company Includes over 25,000 glass negatives and transparencies as well as about 300 color photolithograph prints, mostly of the eastern United States. Subjects strongly represented in the collection include city and town views,...
- Contributor: Jackson, William Henry - Hart, Edward H. - Detroit Publishing Co. - Johnston, J. S. (John S.) - Byron (Firm : New York, N.Y.) - Glover. L. S. (Lycurgus S.) - Peabody, Henry G. (Henry Greenwood)
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 25,172 Items
CollectionThe Evolution of the Conservation Movement The Evolution of the Conservation Movement, 1850-1920 documents the historical formation and cultural foundations of the movement to conserve and protect America's natural heritage, through books, pamphlets, government documents, manuscripts, prints, photographs,...
- Date: 1850
Collection Items: View 744 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black-and-White Negatives The photographs of the Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Photograph Collection form an extensive pictorial record of American life between 1935 and 1944. This U.S. government photography project was...
- Contributor: United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1935
Collection Items: View 170,903 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Color Photographs Photographers working for the U.S. government's Farm Security Administration (FSA) and later the Office of War Information (OWI) between 1939 and 1944 made approximately 1,600 color photographs that depict life in the...
- Contributor: Collins, Marjory - United States. Office of War Information - Jacobs, Fenno - Collier, John - Rosskam, Louise - Feininger, Andreas - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration ... Collins, Marjory - United States. Office of War Information - Jacobs, Fenno - Collier, John - Rosskam, Louise - Feininger, Andreas - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration - Lee, Russell - Vachon, John - Rous, John - Bransby, David - Siegel, Arthur S. - Rothstein, Arthur - Liberman, Howard - Delano, Jack - Hollem, Howard R. - Sherwood, Mark - Palmer, Alfred T. - Rittase, William M.
- Date: 1939
Collection Items: View 1,623 Items
CollectionGoldstein Foundation Collection--Prints and Drawings This category consists of all of the individually issued prints and drawings in the Ben and Beatrice Goldstein Foundation Collection: 1,688 items dating primarily from the 1880s to the 1960s. The collection...
- Date: 1800
Collection Items: View 159 Items
CollectionGrabill Collection The one hundred and eighty-eight photographs sent by John C.H. Grabill to the Library of Congress for copyright protection between 1887 and 1892 are thought to be the largest surviving collection of...
- Contributor: Grabill, John C. H.
- Date: 1887
Collection Items: View 193 Items
CollectionHarris & Ewing Collection Background and Scope of the Collection The Harris & Ewing, Inc. Collection of photographic negatives includes glass and film negatives taken by Harris & Ewing, Inc., which provide excellent coverage of Washington...
- Contributor: Harris & Ewing
- Date: 1905
Collection Items: View 41,542 Items
CollectionHighsmith (Carol M.) Archive Photographs of landmark buildings and architectural renovation projects in Washington, D.C., and throughout the United States. The first 23 groups of photographs contain more than 2,500 images and date from 1980 to...
- Contributor: Highsmith, Carol M.
Collection Items: View 53,120 Items
CollectionHistoric American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey The list of building types . . . should include public buildings, churches, residences, bridges, forts, barns, mills, shops, rural outbuildings, and any other kind of structure of which there are good...
- Contributor: Historic American Buildings Survey
- Date: 1933
Collection Items: View 44,397 Items
CollectionJohnston (Frances Benjamin) Collection NEW! See Gardens and Historic Houses in more than 1,000 hand-colored photos Collection Overview: Lantern Slides for Garden & Historic House Lectures Frances Benjamin Johnston (1864-1952) was one of the first American...
- Contributor: Johnston, Frances Benjamin
- Date: 1864
Collection Items: View 3,124 Items
CollectionThe Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America See and Hear American History Through Song "Know the songs of a country and you will know its history for the true feeling of a people speaks through what they sing." –...
- Date: 1581
Collection Items: View 98,261 Items
CollectionLook Collection The Look Magazine Photograph Collection is a vast photographic archive created to illustrate Look Magazine and related publications produced by companies founded by Gardner Cowles. The cataloged portion of the collection totals...
- Contributor: Cowles Communications, Inc
- Date: 1937
Collection Items: View 6,226 Items
CollectionNational Child Labor Committee Collection Working as an investigative photographer for the National Child Labor Committee (NCLC), Lewis Hine (1874-1940) documented working and living conditions of children in the United States between 1908 and 1924. The NCLC...
- Contributor: Hine, Lewis Wickes - National Child Labor Committee (U.S.)
- Date: 1908
Collection Items: View 5,079 Items
CollectionNational Photo Company Collection This collection documents virtually all aspects of Washington, D.C., life. During the administrations of Presidents Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover, the National Photo Company supplied photographs of current news events in Washington,...
- Contributor: National Photo Company
- Date: 1909
Collection Items: View 35,617 Items
CollectionPopular Graphic Arts About 15,000 historical prints (ca. 1700-1900) created to document geographic locations or popular subjects and sometimes used for advertising and educational purposes. Most are by American printmakers (e.g., Baillie, Currier & Ives,...
- Date: 1700
Collection Items: View 17,619 Items
CollectionSeptember 11, 2001, Documentary Project Flight Attendant. Photo by David A. Taylor, September 2001. September 11, 2001, Documentary Project Collection, American Folklife Center, Library of Congress The September 11, 2001 Documentary Project captures the reactions, eyewitness accounts,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 267 Items
CollectionStereograph Cards Over 8,000 stereographs available online, representing roughly 15 percent of the 52,000 stereographs produced from the 1850s to the 1940s, with the bulk of the collection dating between 1870 and 1920. The...
- Contributor: H.C. White Co - Keystone View Company - International Stereograph Co. - Underwood & Underwood - Rau, William Herman - Singley, L. (Benjamin Lloyd) - American Stereoscopic Company - Strohmeyer & Wyman
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 29,000 Items
CollectionTending the Commons: Folklife and Landscape in Southern West Virginia This collection presents 718 excerpts of sound recordings, 1,256 photographs, and 10 manuscripts from the American Folklife Center's Coal River Folklife Project Collection. The project documented traditional uses of the mountains in...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 2,019 Items