CollectionAaron Copland Collection The first release of the online collection contains approximately 1,000 items that yield a total of about 5,000 images. These items date from 1899 to 1981, with most from the 1920s through...
- Contributor: Kraft, Victor - Copland, Aaron
- Date: 1841
Collection Items: View 980 Items
CollectionAbraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress The papers of Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865), lawyer, representative from Illinois, and sixteenth president of the United States, contain approximately 40,550 documents dating from 1774 to 1948, although most of the collection spans...
- Contributor: Lincoln, Abraham
Collection Items: View 20,206 Items
CollectionAlan Lomax Collection The Alan Lomax Collection includes ethnographic field documentation, materials from Lomax’s various projects, and cross-cultural research created and collected by Alan Lomax and others on traditional song, music, dance, and body movement...
- Contributor: Association for Cultural Equity - Archive of American Folk Song - Lomax, Alan - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1933
Collection Items: View 6,612 Items
CollectionAlexander Graham Bell Family Papers at the Library of Congress The collection contains over 145,000 items. The online version contains 4,695 items (equaling about 51,500 images), consists of correspondence, scientific notebooks, journals, blueprints, articles, and photographs documenting Bell's invention of the telephone...
- Contributor: Fairchild, Marian - Bell, Mabel Gardiner Hubbard - Bell, Alexander Graham - Hubbard, Gardiner G. (Gardiner Greene) - Bell, Alexander Melville
Collection Items: View 4,715 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Papers The papers of Alexander Hamilton (ca. 1757-1804), first treasury secretary of the United States, consist of his personal and public correspondence, drafts of his writings (although not his Federalist essays), and correspondence...
- Contributor: First Church in Albany - Hamilton, Alexander
Collection Items: View 882 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Stephens Papers The papers of Alexander Hamilton Stephens (1812-1883), lawyer, journalist, governor of Georgia, member of both houses of the United States Congress, and vice president of the Confederate States of America, span the...
- Contributor: Stephens, Alexander H. (Alexander Hamilton)
Collection Items: View 124 Items
CollectionAmerican Colony in Jerusalem, 1870-2006 This electronic presentation features selected materials from the physical American Colony in Jerusalem Collection. The full collection in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress represents well over 16,600 items stemming...
- Contributor: Spafford, Anna T. - Spafford, Horatio Gates - American Colony (Jerusalem) - Vester, Bertha Spafford
Collection Items: View 130 Items
CollectionAmerican Federation of Labor Records The records of the American Federation of Labor (AFL) span the years 1883-1925 and consist of letterpress volumes of correspondence of Samuel Gompers (1850-1924) and William Green (1870-1952), presidents of the organization,...
- Contributor: American Federation of Labor
Collection Items: View 359 Items
CollectionAmerican Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1940 This collection of life histories consists of approximately 2,900 documents, compiled and transcribed by more than 300 writers from 24 states, working on the Folklore Project of the Federal Writers’ Project, a...
- Contributor: Writers' Program (U.S.) - Federal Writers' Project - United States. Works Progress Administration - United States. Work Projects Administration
Collection Items: View 2,847 Items
CollectionAmerican Variety Stage: Vaudeville and Popular Entertainment, 1870-1920 This collection illustrates the vibrant and diverse forms of popular entertainment, especially vaudeville, that thrived from 1870-1920. Included are 334 English- and Yiddish-language playscripts, 146 theater playbills and programs, 61 motion pictures,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1996
CollectionAndre Kostelanetz Collection Andre Kostelanetz (1901-1980) was a Russian-born conductor, arranger, and pianist known for juxtaposing popular and classical repertoire in radio broadcasts during the 1930s and 1940s. He had a highly successful concert career...
- Contributor: Kostelanetz, Andre
- Date: 1922
Collection Items: View 185 Items
CollectionAndrew Jackson Papers The Andrew Jackson Papers is one of twenty-three presidential collections in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress. The Jackson archival collection contains more than 26,000 items dating from 1767 to...
- Contributor: Jackson, Andrew
Collection Items: View 17,171 Items
CollectionAndrew Johnson Papers The papers of vice president, senator, and representative Andrew Johnson (1808-1875), who became the seventeenth president of the Unites States in 1865 after Abraham Lincoln’s assassination, consist of 40,000 items (63,710 images),...
- Contributor: Johnson, Andrew - Moore, William G. (William George)
Collection Items: View 98 Items
CollectionAnna E. Dickinson Papers The papers of lecturer, reformer, actress, and author Anna Elizabeth Dickinson (1842-1932) span the period 1859-1951, but are chiefly concentrated in the years from 1859 to 1911. The collection consists of approximately...
- Contributor: Dickinson, Anna E. (Anna Elizabeth)
Collection Items: View 404 Items
CollectionAnna Maria Brodeau Thornton Papers The seven volumes of diaries and notebooks, 1793-1861, of Anna Maria Brodeau Thornton (ca.1775-1865) document her position at the center of a Washington, D.C., social circle that included George and Martha Washington,...
- Contributor: Thornton, Anna Maria Brodeau
Collection Items: View 12 Items
CollectionAssociated Press News Dispatches, 1915-1930 The collection of news dispatches of the Washington, D.C., Bureau of the Associated Press spans the period 1915-1930 and consists of 375 volumes (387,082 images), housed in 254 boxes, the contents of...
- Contributor: Associated Press. Washington Bureau
Collection Items: View 380 Items
CollectionThe Atlantic World: America and the Netherlands This online collection contains digitized items from the Library of Congress collection that was originally made available as The Atlantic World: America and the Netherlands/De Atlantische Wereld: Amerika en Nederland digital library...
Collection Items: View 83 Items
CollectionBenjamin Franklin Papers The papers of statesman, publisher, scientist, and diplomat Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790) consist of approximately 8,000 items spanning the years 1726 to 1907, with most dating from the 1770s and 1780s. The collection's...
- Contributor: United States. Legation (France) - Franklin, Benjamin - Oswald, Richard - Franklin, William Temple
Collection Items: View 41 Items
CollectionBenjamin Harrison Papers The papers of U.S. senator from Indiana and U.S. Army officer Benjamin Harrison (1833-1901), who became the twenty-third president of the United States, consist of 69,600 items (178,479 images), most of which...
- Contributor: Harrison, Benjamin
Collection Items: View 189 Items
CollectionBess Lomax Hawes Collection The Bess Lomax Hawes collection is comprised of papers, photographs, and audiovisual materials relating to the career and personal life of folk arts administrator, folklorist, ethnomusicologist, filmmaker, musician, and teacher Bess Lomax...
- Contributor: National Endowment for the Arts. Folk Arts Program - Hawes, Bess Lomax - Hawes, Butch
- Date: 1894
Collection Items: View 365 Items
CollectionBetty Herndon Maury Maury Papers The papers of diarist Betty Herndon Maury Maury (1835-1903) consist of a diary kept by Maury from June 3, 1861, to February 18, 1863. The two-volume diary was scanned from one reel...
- Contributor: Maury, Betty Herndon Maury
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 7 Items
CollectionBlackwell Family Papers The Blackwell Family Papers span the years 1759-1960, with the bulk of the material dating from 1845 to 1890. Consisting of approximately 29,000 items (58,002 images), most of which were digitized from...
- Contributor: Blackwell, Elizabeth - Blackwell, Kitty Barry - Stone, Lucy - Blackwell, Alice Stone - Blackwell, Antoinette Louisa Brown - Blackwell, H. B. (Henry Browne) - Blackwell, Emily
Collection Items: View 2,313 Items
CollectionBlair Family Papers The papers of the Blair family, a prominent nineteenth-century political family, consist of 19,100 items (33,263 images) most of which were digitized from 49 reels of previously produced microfilm. Spanning the years...
- Contributor: Blair, Montgomery - Blair, Gist - Blair, Francis Preston - Blair, Frank P., (Francis Preston) - Blair, Woodbury - Clapp, Charles Q. - Stevens, Samuel - Woodbury, Levi
Collection Items: View 477 Items
CollectionBlue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project The Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project was conducted by the American Folklife Center in cooperation with the National Park Service. Ten folklorists from the American Folklife Center conducted fieldwork in August and...
- Contributor: Mullen, Patrick B. - Richardson, Larry - Bryan, Mamie - Jarrell, Tommy - Severt, Carrie - Wolfe, Charles K. - Owen, Blanton - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - United States. National Park Service - Todd, Zenna ... Mullen, Patrick B. - Richardson, Larry - Bryan, Mamie - Jarrell, Tommy - Severt, Carrie - Wolfe, Charles K. - Owen, Blanton - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - United States. National Park Service - Todd, Zenna - Marshall, Howard W. - Owen, Margaret Counts - Wilson, Joe - Shockley, Maggie - Jabbour, Alan - Choate, Donna - Eiler, Terry - Fleischhauer, Carl - American Folklife Center - Johnson, Geraldine Niva - Adler, Thomas A. - Patton, Ila - Ray, Roxie - Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project - Eiler, Lyntha Scott - Cruise, Crystal - Stanley, Lura
- Date: 1977
Collection Items: View 2,103 Items
CollectionBorn in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 contains more than 2,300 first-person accounts of slavery and 500 black-and-white photographs of former slaves. These narratives were collected in the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Federal Writers' Project - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 603 Items
CollectionBronislava Nijinska Collection The collection of notable dancer, choreographer and teacher Bronislava Nijinska (1891-1972) contains a diverse variety of materials documenting dance and the arts in the twentieth century. Available here are over 200 collection...
- Contributor: Nijinska, Bronislava
- Date: 1891
Collection Items: View 103 Items
CollectionBy Popular Demand: Jackie Robinson and Other Baseball Highlights, 1860s-1960s 2007 marks the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's rookie season for the Brooklyn Dodgers. When he stepped onto Ebbets field on April 15th, 1947, Robinson became the first African American in the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 71 Items
CollectionCalifornia Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties Collected by Sidney Robertson Cowell This online presentation, California Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties, comprises 35 hours of folk music recorded in 12 languages representing numerous ethnic groups and 185 musicians. It includes sound...
- Contributor: Cowell, Sidney Robertson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1997
Collection Items: View 1,253 Items
CollectionCalvin Coolidge Papers The papers of John Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933), thirtieth president of the United States, consist of approximately 179,000 documents (218,513 images), which have been digitized from 190 reels of previously reproduced microfilm. Held...
- Contributor: Coolidge, Calvin
Collection Items: View 198 Items
CollectionCarrie Chapman Catt Papers The papers of suffragist, political strategist, and pacifist Carrie Lane Chapman Catt (1859-1947) span the years 1848-1950, with the bulk of the material dating from 1890 to 1920. The collection consists of...
- Contributor: Catt, Carrie Chapman
Collection Items: View 573 Items
CollectionA Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation: U.S. Congressional Documents and Debates 1774-1875 Beginning with the Continental Congress in 1774, America's national legislative bodies have kept records of their proceedings. The records of the Continental Congress, the Constitutional Convention, and the United States Congress make...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Law Library of Congress (U.S.)
- Date: 1998
CollectionCharles S. Hamlin Papers The digitized portion (8,096 items; 17,808 images) of the papers of lawyer, politician, assistant secretary of the treasury, and governor of the Federal Reserve Board Charles S. Hamlin (1861-1938) includes diaries (1887-1937),...
- Contributor: Hamlin, Anna - Robles, Sebastian T. (Sebastian Tomas) - Hamlin, Huybertie Pruyn - Hamlin, Charles S. (Charles Sumner)
Collection Items: View 207 Items
CollectionCharles Wellington Reed Papers, 1776 to 1926 The papers of Civil War soldier and artist Charles Wellington Reed (1841-1926) span the years 1776-1926, with the bulk of the material concentrated in the period 1862-1865, when he served with the...
- Contributor: Reed, Charles Wellington
Collection Items: View 36 Items
CollectionChester Alan Arthur Papers The papers of Chester Alan Arthur (1829-1886), who became the twenty-first president of the United States in 1881 after James A. Garfield’s assassination, consist of 4,400 items (7,667 images), most of which...
- Contributor: Arthur, Chester Alan
Collection Items: View 103 Items
CollectionChicago Ethnic Arts Project Collection The Chicago Ethnic Arts Project survey was conducted in 1977 by the American Folklife Center at the request of the Illinois Arts Council to assess and document the status of ethnic art...
- Contributor: Swenson, Greta E. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Mathias, Elizabeth - Epstein, Shifra - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - González, José Gamaliel - Kalčik, Susan J. - Kubose, Minnie Somi - Fleischhauer, Carl ... Swenson, Greta E. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Mathias, Elizabeth - Epstein, Shifra - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - González, José Gamaliel - Kalčik, Susan J. - Kubose, Minnie Somi - Fleischhauer, Carl - Mack, James - Dovydenas, Jonas - Brzovich, Mato - Trbuhovic-Grasa, Gordana - Choi, Chungmoo - Bradunas, Elena - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - Bartis, Peter - Hellenberg, Antony - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan - George, Philip B. - March, Richard - American Folklife Center - Chicago Ethnic Arts Project - Libonati, Roland V. (Roland Victor) - Metcalfe, Ralph H. - Klymasz, Shirley - Lund, Jens - Illinois Arts Council
- Date: 1976
Collection Items: View 1,138 Items