CollectionAaron Copland Collection The first release of the online collection contains approximately 1,000 items that yield a total of about 5,000 images. These items date from 1899 to 1981, with most from the 1920s through...
- Contributor: Kraft, Victor - Copland, Aaron
- Date: 1841
Collection Items: View 982 Items
CollectionBronislava Nijinska Collection The collection of notable dancer, choreographer and teacher Bronislava Nijinska (1891-1972) contains a diverse variety of materials documenting dance and the arts in the twentieth century. Available here are over 200 collection...
- Contributor: Nijinska, Bronislava
- Date: 1891
Collection Items: View 210 Items
CollectionCoptic Orthodox Liturgical Chant and Hymnody With its roots in Ancient Egyptian music, Coptic Christian chant is one of the oldest liturgical genres still performed today. Drawing on the Ragheb Moftah Collection, this presentation explores some of the...
- Contributor: Wilson, Marian Robertson - Newlandsmith, Ernest - Moftah, Ragheb - Tóth, Margit
- Date: 1926
Collection Items: View 368 Items
CollectionThe Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine Collection Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine in London American actor, singer and comedian Danny Kaye arrives with his wife, Sylvia Fine, for an appearance in London. November 1948. Following the professional lives of...
- Contributor: Dena Pictures, Inc - McDowall, Roddy - Fine, Sylvia - Halsman, Philippe - Kaye, Danny - Kaye (Danny)/Fine (Sylvia) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 2,054 Items
CollectionDayton C. Miller Collection The collection contains nearly 1,700 flutes and other wind instruments, statuary, iconography, books, music, trade catalogs, tutors, patents, and other materials mostly related to the flute. It includes both Western and nonwestern...
- Contributor: Miller, Dayton Clarence
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 1,973 Items
CollectionDolly Parton and the Roots of Country Music This presentation explores the influences of country music on Dolly's life and career. Though sometimes overshadowed by the more glamorous aspects of Dolly Parton's popular image, traditional Appalachian folk, country, and bluegrass...
- Date: 1946
Collection Items: View 19 Items
CollectionThe Gerry Mulligan Collection [Portrait of Gerry Mulligan, ca. 1980s] by William P. Gottlieb. Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress. As a saxophonist, composer, arranger and band leader, Gerry Mulligan (1927-1996) is a jazz legend....
- Contributor: Grusin, Dave - Mandel, Johnny - Dankworth, John - Cohn, Al. - Boras, Tom - Handy, George - Forman, Mitchel - McFarland, Gary - Mulligan, Gerry - Holman, Bill - Lee, Julian - Brookmeyer, Bob
- Date: 1940
Collection Items: View 151 Items
CollectionHome Sweet Home: Life in Nineteenth-Century Ohio Before the age of radio, television, and other electronic diversions, families made their own entertainment in the home by playing games, reading aloud, performing plays, and, of course, by making music. Children...
- Date: 1800
Collection Items: View 42 Items
CollectionIrving Fine Collection, ca. 1914-1962 The career of Irving Fine (1914-1962), composer, conductor, writer, and academic, is documented in the Library of Congress Music Division by approximately 4,350 items from the Irving Fine Collection. Comprising manuscript and...
- Contributor: Fine, Irving
- Date: 1930
Collection Items: View 80 Items
CollectionLars Schmidt Collection Swedish theatrical producer, director, and publisher Lars Schmidt (1917-2009) spent over 50 years in the theater business. He began as a licensee of American plays and owner of a theater boat in...
- Contributor: Schmidt, Lars
- Date: 1910
Collection Items: View 269 Items
CollectionLeonard Bernstein About the Leonard Bernstein Collection The Leonard Bernstein Collection at the Library of Congress is as exceptional as its name would suggest. Bernstein, arguably the most prominent figure in American classical music...
- Contributor: Harmon, Charlie - Coates, Helen - Bernstein, Leonard - Gottlieb, Jack
- Date: 1900
Collection Items: View 3,829 Items
CollectionThe Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America See and Hear American History Through Song "Know the songs of a country and you will know its history for the true feeling of a people speaks through what they sing." –...
- Date: 1581
Collection Items: View 98,253 Items
CollectionMartha Graham at the Library of Congress (clockwise from top left) The Dance: Washington Festival [review]; "Graham Presents Copland's Ballet" [clipping] by Oscar Thompson; A unique dance by Martha Graham [clipping], 1926; [Tangara], photograph of Martha Graham. Dancer, choreographer,...
- Contributor: Barber, Samuel - Riegger, Wallingford - Noguchi, Isamu - Hovhaness, Alan - Emmons, Beverly - Starer, Robert - Horst, Louis - Martha Graham School of Contemporary Dance - Graham (Martha) Collection (Library of Congress) - Karan, Donna ... Barber, Samuel - Riegger, Wallingford - Noguchi, Isamu - Hovhaness, Alan - Emmons, Beverly - Starer, Robert - Horst, Louis - Martha Graham School of Contemporary Dance - Graham (Martha) Collection (Library of Congress) - Karan, Donna - Tipton, Jennifer - Copland, Aaron - Graham, Martha - El-Dabh, Halim - Lester, Eugene - Weissberger, L. Arnold - Ter-Arutunian, Rouben - Dello Joio, Norman - Hindemith, Paul - Martha Graham Center of Contemporary Dance - Schuman, William - Martha Graham Dance Company - Rosenthal, Jean - Menotti, Gian Carlo - Skelton, Thomas R.
- Date: 1896
Collection Items: View 1,140 Items
CollectionMusical Instruments at the Library of Congress Instrument collecting at the Library began in 1935 with the donation of five Stradivarius stringed instruments by Mrs. Gertrude Clarke Whittall. Since then other instruments have been acquired, including strings, flutes and...
Collection Items: View 2,098 Items
CollectionThe Roger Reynolds Collection Roger Reynolds' compositions incorporate elements of theater, digital signal processing, dance, video, and real-time computer spatialization, in a signature multidimensionality of engagement. This Web site provides a glimpse into the process of...
- Contributor: Takemitsu, Tōru. - Reynolds, Roger - Schick, Steven - McAdams, Stephen - Suzuki, Tadashi - Xenakis, Iannis
- Date: 196?
Collection Items: View 53 Items
CollectionRoman Totenberg Papers The violinist Roman Totenberg enjoyed an extraordinarily long and varied career. Born on January 1, 1911 in Łódź, Poland, he moved as a child with his family to Moscow where he first...
- Contributor: Totenberg, Roman - Kolsky, Ilka
- Date: 1846
Collection Items: View 125 Items
CollectionRoman Totenberg Papers: Totenberg-Wilk Holocaust Material When Violinist Roman Totenberg immigrated to the United States in 1938, antisemitism in Europe was not restricted solely to Nazi Germany, but had spread across the continent and was pervasive in his...
Collection Items: View 110 Items
CollectionSelections from the Katherine Dunham Collection [Katherine Dunham, dancer, three-quarter length portrait] (top to bottom) Katherine Dunham as Woman with a Cigar from Tropics, by Alfredo Valenti; Katherine Dunham in the 1940 Broadway hit production of Cabin in...
- Contributor: Dunham, Katherine
- Date: 1920
Collection Items: View 125 Items
CollectionWilliam P. Gottlieb Collection In 1995 this collection was purchased with financial support from the Ira and Leonore S. Gershwin Fund. The collection consists of jazz photographs taken by writer-photographer William P. Gottlieb, from 1938 to...
- Contributor: Gottlieb, William P.
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 1,792 Items