CollectionBlue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project The Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project was conducted by the American Folklife Center in cooperation with the National Park Service. Ten folklorists from the American Folklife Center conducted fieldwork in August and...
- Contributor: Richardson, Larry - Bryan, Mamie - Jarrell, Tommy - Severt, Carrie - Wolfe, Charles K. - Owen, Blanton - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - United States. National Park Service - Todd, Zenna - Marshall, Howard W. ... Richardson, Larry - Bryan, Mamie - Jarrell, Tommy - Severt, Carrie - Wolfe, Charles K. - Owen, Blanton - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - United States. National Park Service - Todd, Zenna - Marshall, Howard W. - Owen, Margaret Counts - Wilson, Joe - Shockley, Maggie - Jabbour, Alan - Choate, Donna - Eiler, Terry - Mullen, Patrick - Fleischhauer, Carl - American Folklife Center - Johnson, Geraldine Niva - Adler, Thomas A. - Patton, Ila - Ray, Roxie - Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project - Eiler, Lyntha Scott - Cruise, Crystal - Stanley, Lura
- Date: 1977
Collection Items: View 1,693 Items
CollectionCalifornia Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties Collected by Sidney Robertson Cowell This online presentation, California Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties, comprises 35 hours of folk music recorded in 12 languages representing numerous ethnic groups and 185 musicians. It includes sound...
- Contributor: Cowell, Sidney Robertson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1997
Collection Items: View 1,253 Items
CollectionChicago Ethnic Arts Project Collection The Chicago Ethnic Arts Project survey was conducted in 1977 by the American Folklife Center at the request of the Illinois Arts Council to assess and document the status of ethnic art...
- Contributor: Swenson, Greta E. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Mathias, Elizabeth - George, Philip - Epstein, Shifra - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - González, José Gamaliel - Kalčik, Susan J. - Kubose, Minnie Somi ... Swenson, Greta E. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Mathias, Elizabeth - George, Philip - Epstein, Shifra - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - González, José Gamaliel - Kalčik, Susan J. - Kubose, Minnie Somi - Fleischhauer, Carl - Dovydenas, Jonas - Brzovich, Mato - Trbuhovic-Grasa, Gordana - Choi, Chungmoo - Bradunas, Elena - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - Bartis, Peter - Hellenberg, Antony - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan - March, Richard - American Folklife Center - Chicago Ethnic Arts Project - Libonati, Roland V. (Roland Victor) - Metcalfe, Ralph H. - Klymasz, Shirley - Lund, Jens - Illinois Arts Council
- Date: 1976
Collection Items: View 1,136 Items
CollectionCoptic Orthodox Liturgical Chant and Hymnody With its roots in Ancient Egyptian music, Coptic Christian chant is one of the oldest liturgical genres still performed today. Drawing on the Ragheb Moftah Collection, this presentation explores some of the...
- Contributor: Wilson, Marian Robertson - Newlandsmith, Ernest - Moftah, Ragheb - Tóth, Margit
- Date: 1926
Collection Items: View 368 Items
CollectionThe Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine Collection Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine in London American actor, singer and comedian Danny Kaye arrives with his wife, Sylvia Fine, for an appearance in London. November 1948. Following the professional lives of...
- Contributor: Dena Pictures, Inc - McDowall, Roddy - Fine, Sylvia - Halsman, Philippe - Kaye, Danny - Kaye (Danny)/Fine (Sylvia) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 2,054 Items
CollectionEmile Berliner and the Birth of the Recording Industry This collection showcases the work of Emile Berliner, a prominent inventor at the end of the nineteenth and the beginning of the twentieth centuries. Overlooked by today's historians, Berliner's creative genius rivaled...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
- Date: 2002
Collection Items: View 532 Items
CollectionThe Gerry Mulligan Collection [Portrait of Gerry Mulligan, ca. 1980s] by William P. Gottlieb. Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress. As a saxophonist, composer, arranger and band leader, Gerry Mulligan (1927-1996) is a jazz legend....
- Contributor: Grusin, Dave - Mandel, Johnny - Dankworth, John - Cohn, Al. - Boras, Tom - Handy, George - Forman, Mitchel - McFarland, Gary - Mulligan, Gerry - Holman, Bill - Lee, Julian - Brookmeyer, Bob
- Date: 1940
Collection Items: View 151 Items
CollectionHome Sweet Home: Life in Nineteenth-Century Ohio Before the age of radio, television, and other electronic diversions, families made their own entertainment in the home by playing games, reading aloud, performing plays, and, of course, by making music. Children...
- Date: 1800
Collection Items: View 42 Items
CollectionThe Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America See and Hear American History Through Song "Know the songs of a country and you will know its history for the true feeling of a people speaks through what they sing." –...
- Date: 1581
Collection Items: View 98,261 Items
CollectionMontana Folklife Survey Collection The Montana Folklife Survey was conducted in the summer of 1979 by the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress, in cooperation with the Montana Arts Council. The survey was a...
- Contributor: McBride, Tom - Johnson, Paula J. - Young, Kay - Stanton, Gary Ward - Toelken, Miiko - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Dockstader, Ray - Toelken, Barre - Crummett, Michael - Wasson, George - Fleischhauer, Carl - American Folklife Center - Montana Arts Council
- Date: 1979
Collection Items: View 613 Items
CollectionNew Mexico Folklife Project Collection The New Mexico Folklife Project was conducted by Carl Fleischhauer, consultant, of the American Folklife Center, in the summers of 1984 and 1985. In 1984, the effort supported the work of the...
- Contributor: Kalb, Laurie Beth - New Mexico. Historic Preservation Division - Museum of International Folk Art (N.M.) - Fleischhauer, Carl - Pratt, Boyd C. - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1984
Collection Items: View 112 Items
CollectionOmaha Indian Music Presented here are selections from the American Folklife Center's collections documenting Omaha music traditions. The sound recordings include 44 wax cylinder recordings made in the 1890s (first published on a 1985 LP...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 873 Items
CollectionRhode Island Folklife Project Collection The Rhode Island Folklife Project collection resulted from a field survey project of the American Folklife Center, Library of Congress, conducted in cooperation with the Rhode Island Heritage Commission, the Rhode Island...
- Contributor: Bell, Michael Edward - Harley, Nancy - Burns, Thomas A. - American Folklife Center - Bartis, Peter - Horenstein, Henry - Glawson, Francis - Goldstein, Kenneth S. - Fleischhauer, Carl - Johnson, Geraldine Niva - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Rhode Island Folklife Project
- Date: 1979
Collection Items: View 979 Items
CollectionThe Roger Reynolds Collection Roger Reynolds' compositions incorporate elements of theater, digital signal processing, dance, video, and real-time computer spatialization, in a signature multidimensionality of engagement. This Web site provides a glimpse into the process of...
- Contributor: Takemitsu, Tōru. - Reynolds, Roger - Schick, Steven - McAdams, Stephen - Suzuki, Tadashi - Xenakis, Iannis
- Date: 196?
Collection Items: View 53 Items
CollectionSouth Central Georgia Folklife Project Collection The South-Central Georgia Folklife Project collection resulted from an ethnographic field project conducted in the summer of 1977 by the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress and the Arts Experiment...
- Contributor: Jabbour, Alan - Lightfoot, William E. (William Edwin) - McGraw, Hugh - Adler, Thomas A. - Stanley, David - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Robinson, Beverly J. - Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College - Marshall, Howard W. - Fleischhauer, Carl - American Folklife Center - Blackmarr, Syd - Coelho, Dennis - Hamrick, Raymond C.
- Date: 1977
Collection Items: View 1,123 Items
CollectionSouthern Mosaic: The John and Ruby Lomax 1939 Southern States Recording Trip This recording trip is an ethnographic field collection that includes nearly 700 sound recordings, as well as fieldnotes, dust jackets, and other manuscripts documenting a three-month, 6,502-mile trip through the southern United...
- Contributor: Archive of American Folk Song - Lomax, Alan - Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Lomax, Ruby T. (Ruby Terrill)
- Date: 1934
Collection Items: View 895 Items