CollectionAfrican-American Band Music & Recordings, 1883-1923 The core of this presentation consists of "stock" arrangements for bands or small orchestras of popular songs written by African Americans. In addition, we offer a smaller selection of historic sound recordings...
- Date: 1883
Collection Items: View 365 Items
CollectionAfter the Day of Infamy: "Man-on-the-Street" Interviews Following the Attack on Pearl Harbor After the Day of Infamy: "Man-on-the-Street" Interviews Following the Attack on Pearl Harbor presents approximately twelve hours of opinions recorded in the days and months following the bombing of Pearl Harbor from...
- Date: 1941
Collection Items: View 139 Items
CollectionAlan Lomax Collection of Michigan and Wisconsin Recordings In 1938 the Library of Congress dispatched the pioneering folklorist and song collector Alan Lomax—already a seasoned field worker at age 23—to conduct a folk song survey of the Great Lakes region....
- Contributor: Aho, Lillian - Aho, Pekka - Allen, Perry - Bangac, Petar - Baratono, Art - Basrak, Stjepan - Bellaire, Exilia - Bellaire, Mose - Berky, Nandor - Bonner, Daniel ... Aho, Lillian - Aho, Pekka - Allen, Perry - Bangac, Petar - Baratono, Art - Basrak, Stjepan - Bellaire, Exilia - Bellaire, Mose - Berky, Nandor - Bonner, Daniel - Bonner, Patrick - Brideup, Louis - Cadeau, Ed - Cadeau, John - Cadeau, Mathilda - Carrière, Dolphis - Carrière, Fred - Cloud, Joe - Cloud, Clarence - Delmas, Adolphus - Dobričan, Lazar - Dragić, Todor - Erickson, Max - Floriani, Margaret - Floriani, Veko - Floriani, Vladimir - Forster, Yalmer Eino - Frazier, Belle - Frazier, Calvin - Frazier, Clara - Frazier, Lonnie - Frazier, Viola - Fredrickson, John - Fredrickson, Kaisa - Gallagher, Dominic - Gallagher, Andrew E. - Gallagher, Emerald - Gaza, V. Sipoo - Graham, Bert - Green, John W. - Grbić, Ludevit - Guzal, Frank - Halinen, Selma Elona - Happy Jack Woodward - Härkönen, Amanda - Hirvelä, Wäin - Hulan - Hyvönen, John - Jackson, Andrew - Juhani, Aapo - Kallio, Kalle - Kania, Felix - Ketvirtis, Charles - King, Edward - Korvenpaa, Charles - Krawezak - Kruczynski, Clara - Kubesh, John G. - Kubien, Rose - Larson, Nils - Larson, John - Larson, Steen - Lathrop, Carl - Leclaire, Leilia - Lewandowski, Edwina - Lewandowski, Stephan - Lewandowski, Stephanie - Lewandowski, Ted - Mahoski, Henry - Maki, Emil - Maki, Frank - Marczis, Joseph - Marinetti, Victor - Marinetti, John - Marttila - Maté - McBride, Bill - McCauley, Edward - McCarthy, Barney - McCormick, Ed - McDonough, Patrick - Meyers, Herman - Miron, Joe - Nemeth, Kalman - Niewiadomska, Frances - Norman, John - O'Donnell, Mike J. - Olah, Julius - Palmer, Mason - Pischner, Helen - Pittman, Sampson - Pohjala, Aina - Pol, Thomas - Pope, Allan C. - Preda, Emil Milan - Rajčević, Stepan - Rautanen, Vernon - Ricksgers, Joseph - Romel, Adolph - Romel, Leo - Romel, Sylvester - Romel, Ted - Romel - Rudzinski, Alex - Sainović, Ilija - Scheffer, Peter - Sielvankiewiez - Similä, Gusti - Strzelecki, Tony - Styes, Archie - Szilagyi, Dizso - Szabo, Andy - Thrasher, Ed - Tomić, Pajo - Trivanović, Stefan - Trueblood, Asel - Vasvary, Steve - Velin, Maria - Viita, Frank - Vizina, Adelore - Vujanović, Stjepan - Wallen, Mr. - Warslzyk, Tony - Wells, Lester - Lomax, Alan - Archive of American Folk Song
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 444 Items
CollectionAmerican English Dialect Recordings: The Center for Applied Linguistics Collection The Center for Applied Linguistics Collection contains 118 hours of recordings documenting North American English dialects. The recordings include speech samples, linguistic interviews, oral histories, conversations, and excerpts from public speeches. They...
- Contributor: Abbott, Fortis - Aspinall, Wayne N. - Emerson, Lee - Earhart, Amelia - La Guardia, Fiorello H. (Fiorello Henry) - Marshall, Fred - Mencken, H. L. (Henry Louis) - Mele, Joseph C. - Christian, Donna - Center for Applied Linguistics - National Endowment for the Humanities - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1935
Collection Items: View 505 Items
CollectionAmerican Leaders Speak: Recordings from World War I The Nation's Forum recordings were made between 1918 and 1920 in an effort to preserve the voices of prominent Americans; in most cases, they are the only surviving recordings of a speaker....
- Contributor: Baker, Newton Diehl - Butler, Nicholas Murray - Clark, Champ - Colby, Bainbridge - Coolidge, Calvin - Cox, James M. (James Middleton) - Cummings, Homer S. (Homer Stillé) - Daniels, Josephus - De Valera, Éamon - Gerard, James W. (James Watson) ... Baker, Newton Diehl - Butler, Nicholas Murray - Clark, Champ - Colby, Bainbridge - Coolidge, Calvin - Cox, James M. (James Middleton) - Cummings, Homer S. (Homer Stillé) - Daniels, Josephus - De Valera, Éamon - Gerard, James W. (James Watson) - Gompers, Samuel - Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel) - Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison) - Hitchcock, Gilbert M. (Gilbert Monell) - Lane, Franklin K. - Lewis, James - Lodge, Henry Cabot - Long, Breckinridge - McAdoo, W. G. (William Gibbs) - Owen, Robert L. (Robert Latham) - Palmer, A. Mitchell (Alexander Mitchell) - Pershing, John J. (John Joseph) - Poindexter, Miles - Purdy, Richard A. (Richard Augustus) - Robinson, Corinne Roosevelt - Rockefeller, John D., (John Davison) - Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano) - Vanderlip, Frank A. (Frank Arthur) - White, George - Wise, Stephen S. (Stephen Samuel) - Wood, Leonard
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 97 Items
CollectionArchive of Hispanic Literature on Tape Listen to audio recordings of prominent Hispanic writers including Nobel Laureates Gabriel García Márquez, Juan Ramón Jiménez, Gabriela Mistral, Pablo Neruda, and Octavio Paz, and renowned writers Jorge Amado, Jorge Luis Borges,...
Collection Items: View 361 Items
CollectionArchive of Recorded Poetry and Literature Listen to audio-recorded readings of former Consultants in Poetry Elizabeth Bishop, Gwendolyn Brooks and Robert Frost; Nobel Laureates Mario Vargas Llosa and Czeslaw Milosz, and renowned writers such as Ray Bradbury, Margaret...
Collection Items: View 535 Items
CollectionCalifornia Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties Collected by Sidney Robertson Cowell This online presentation, California Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties, comprises 35 hours of folk music recorded in 12 languages representing numerous ethnic groups and 185 musicians. It includes sound...
- Contributor: Cowell, Sidney Robertson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1997
Collection Items: View 1,253 Items
CollectionCaptain Pearl R. Nye: Life on the Ohio and Erie Canal Captain Pearl R. Nye: Life on the Ohio and Erie Canal captures the culture and music of the men, women, and children who worked and lived along the Ohio and Erie Canal....
- Contributor: Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Lomax, Alan - Nye, Pearl R. - Archive of American Folk Song - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1937
Collection Items: View 140 Items
CollectionChicago Ethnic Arts Project Collection The Chicago Ethnic Arts Project survey was conducted in 1977 by the American Folklife Center at the request of the Illinois Arts Council to assess and document the status of ethnic art...
- Contributor: Bartis, Peter - Bradunas, Elena - Brzovich, Mato - Choi, Chungmoo - Epstein, Shifra - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - George, Philip - Hellenberg, Antony - Kalčik, Susan J. - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan ... Bartis, Peter - Bradunas, Elena - Brzovich, Mato - Choi, Chungmoo - Epstein, Shifra - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - George, Philip - Hellenberg, Antony - Kalčik, Susan J. - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan - Klymasz, Shirley - Kubose, Minnie Somi - Libonati, Roland V. (Roland Victor) - Lund, Jens - March, Richard - Mathias, Elizabeth - Metcalfe, Ralph H. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Swenson, Greta E. - Dovydenas, Jonas - Fleischhauer, Carl - González, José Gamaliel - Trbuhovic-Grasa, Gordana - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Illinois Arts Council - Chicago Ethnic Arts Project
- Date: 1976
Collection Items: View 1,136 Items
CollectionCoptic Orthodox Liturgical Chant and Hymnody With its roots in Ancient Egyptian music, Coptic Christian chant is one of the oldest liturgical genres still performed today. Drawing on the Ragheb Moftah Collection, this presentation explores some of the...
- Contributor: Moftah, Ragheb - Newlandsmith, Ernest - Tóth, Margit - Wilson, Marian Robertson
- Date: 1926
Collection Items: View 368 Items
CollectionThe Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine Collection Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine in London American actor, singer and comedian Danny Kaye arrives with his wife, Sylvia Fine, for an appearance in London. November 1948. Following the professional lives of...
- Contributor: Kaye, Danny - Fine, Sylvia - Halsman, Philippe - McDowall, Roddy - Dena Pictures, Inc - Kaye (Danny)/Fine (Sylvia) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 2,054 Items
CollectionEmile Berliner and the Birth of the Recording Industry This collection showcases the work of Emile Berliner, a prominent inventor at the end of the nineteenth and the beginning of the twentieth centuries. Overlooked by today's historians, Berliner's creative genius rivaled...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2002
Collection Items: View 532 Items
CollectionFiddle Tunes of the Old Frontier: The Henry Reed Collection Fiddle Tunes of the Old Frontier: The Henry Reed Collection presents traditional fiddle tunes performed by Henry Reed of Glen Lyn, Virginia. Recorded by folklorist Alan Jabbour in 1966-67, when Reed was...
- Contributor: Glenroy, William - Reed, Henry - Reed, Gene - Reed, Watha - Jabbour, Alan - Ricci, Glenn - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 292 Items
CollectionFlorida Folklife from the WPA Collections, 1937-1942 Florida Folklife from the WPA Collections combines sound recordings and manuscript materials from four discrete archival collections made by Work Projects Administration (WPA) workers from the Joint Committee on Folk Arts, the...
- Contributor: Kennedy, Stetson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 494 Items
CollectionThe Gerry Mulligan Collection [Portrait of Gerry Mulligan, ca. 1980s] by William P. Gottlieb. Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress. As a saxophonist, composer, arranger and band leader, Gerry Mulligan (1927-1996) is a jazz legend....
- Contributor: Mulligan, Gerry - Boras, Tom - Brookmeyer, Bob - Cohn, Al. - Dankworth, John - Forman, Mitchel - Grusin, Dave - Handy, George - Holman, Bill - Lee, Julian - Mandel, Johnny - McFarland, Gary
- Date: 1940
Collection Items: View 151 Items
CollectionHispano Music and Culture of the Northern Rio Grande: The Juan B. Rael Collection Hispano Music and Culture of the Northern Rio Grande: The Juan B. Rael Collection is an online presentation of an ethnographic field collection documenting religious and secular music of Spanish-speaking residents of...
- Contributor: Anaya, Ernestina - Anaya, Nieves - Archuleta, Ricardo - Arellano, Esequiel - Arellano, Narciso - Cantú, José Ignacio - Chávez, Adelaido - Chávez, Adolfo - Espinosa, Rosabel L. - García, Pedro ... Anaya, Ernestina - Anaya, Nieves - Archuleta, Ricardo - Arellano, Esequiel - Arellano, Narciso - Cantú, José Ignacio - Chávez, Adelaido - Chávez, Adolfo - Espinosa, Rosabel L. - García, Pedro - Lobato, Julián - Lobato, Salomé - Mares, Remigio - Martínez Y Lavadi, Samuel - Medina, Esteban - Montoya, Luis - Romero, Alfredo - Trujillo, Amado - Rael, Juan Bautista - Lamadrid, Enrique R. - Archive of Folk Song (U.S.) - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1940
Collection Items: View 226 Items
CollectionHome Sweet Home: Life in Nineteenth-Century Ohio Before the age of radio, television, and other electronic diversions, families made their own entertainment in the home by playing games, reading aloud, performing plays, and, of course, by making music. Children...
- Date: 1800
Collection Items: View 42 Items
CollectionThe Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America See and Hear American History Through Song "Know the songs of a country and you will know its history for the true feeling of a people speaks through what they sing." –...
- Date: 1581
Collection Items: View 98,253 Items
CollectionLowell Folklife Project Collection The Lowell Folklife Project was conducted in 1987-1988 as a cooperative project of the American Folklife Center and the Lowell Historic Preservation Commission, with support from the Massachusetts Council on the Arts...
- Contributor: Bartis, Peter - Bell, Michael Edward - DeNatale, Douglas - Fertig, Barbara C. - Fleischhauer, Carl - Lueders-Booth, John - Montaño, Mario - Norkunas, Martha K. - Rankin, Tom - Taylor, David Alan ... Bartis, Peter - Bell, Michael Edward - DeNatale, Douglas - Fertig, Barbara C. - Fleischhauer, Carl - Lueders-Booth, John - Montaño, Mario - Norkunas, Martha K. - Rankin, Tom - Taylor, David Alan - Wachs, Eleanor F. - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - American Folklife Center - Lowell Historic Preservation Commission (U.S.) - Lowell National Historical Park (Lowell, Mass.) - Massachusetts Council on the Arts and Humanities - United States. National Park Service - Refugee Arts Group - University of Lowell
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 1,140 Items
CollectionThe March King: John Philip Sousa Painting of Sousa during US Marine Band era, [n.d.]. Performing Arts Reading Room. An online presentation of selected music manuscripts, photographs, printed music, historical recordings of the Sousa Band, copies of programs...
- Contributor: Sousa, John Philip
- Date: 1854
Collection Items: View 711 Items
CollectionMontana Folklife Survey Collection The Montana Folklife Survey was conducted in the summer of 1979 by the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress, in cooperation with the Montana Arts Council. The survey was a...
- Contributor: Crummett, Michael - Fleischhauer, Carl - Johnson, Paula J. - McBride, Tom - Stanton, Gary Ward - Toelken, Barre - Toelken, Miiko - Young, Kay - Wasson, George - Dockstader, Ray - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Montana Arts Council
- Date: 1979
Collection Items: View 607 Items
CollectionMusic for the Nation: American Sheet Music, ca. 1870-1885 Consists of over 47,000 pieces of sheet music registered for copyright during the years 1870 to 1885. Included are popular songs, piano music, sacred and secular choral music, solo instrumental music, method...
- Date: 1870
Collection Items: View 47,029 Items
CollectionMusic Treasures Consortium "Um mitternacht" by Franz Schubert. [manuscript score]. Music Division, Library of Congress. About the Music Treasures Consortium The Music Treasures Consortium provides online access to the world's most valued music manuscripts and...
Collection Items: View 3,147 Items
CollectionNow What a Time: Blues, Gospel, and the Fort Valley Music Festivals, 1938-1943 Consists of approximately one hundred sound recordings, primarily blues and gospel songs, and related documentation from the folk festival at Fort Valley State College (now Fort Valley State University), Fort Valley, Georgia....
- Contributor: Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Bond, Edward - Bond, James - Chastain, Will - Chestain, Sonny - Ellis, Charles - Ezell, Buster - Ford, Osa - Ford, T. J. - Gaines, Elwood ... Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Bond, Edward - Bond, James - Chastain, Will - Chestain, Sonny - Ellis, Charles - Ezell, Buster - Ford, Osa - Ford, T. J. - Gaines, Elwood - Gibson, Gus - Gregory, Richard - Jackson, Deacon Sam - Johnson, Warren G. - Mathis, Allison - Monch, Matthew - Parker, Cleve - Richardson, Zema - Stripling, Sidney - Thomas, John Lee - Turner, Alma - Turner, Monroe - Turner, Oscar - Winrow, Anthony - Holloway High School Quartet - Heavenly Gate Quartet - Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Peach County, Ga.). Choir - Smith Band (Musical Group) - Spiritual Four Quartet - Traveller Home Singers - Fisk University - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 182 Items
CollectionOccupational Folklife Project The Occupational Folklife Project (OFP) began in 2010 as a multi-year project by the American Folklife Center (AFC) to document the culture of contemporary American workers during an era of economic and...
- Contributor: Dodd, Harold L. - Jasper, Pat - Lindahl, Carl - Peterson, Betsy - Potoczniak, Anthony - Aalund, Niels Anders - Bennett, Steven R. - Bludworth, Richard W. - Blume, Dana - Braun, Leo J. ... Dodd, Harold L. - Jasper, Pat - Lindahl, Carl - Peterson, Betsy - Potoczniak, Anthony - Aalund, Niels Anders - Bennett, Steven R. - Bludworth, Richard W. - Blume, Dana - Braun, Leo J. - Burkett, Joe L. - Cooney, James Patrick - Corgey, Dean - Dickens, Michael W. - Diehl, William J. - Fitzgerald, Clyde - Gage, Charles H. - Glass, Leonard - Glass, Matthew H. - Halbert, David Maurice - Harris, Eugene - Harris, Timothy C. - Hausinger, William - Hennessey, William S. - Henry, Mark - Hensley, James J. - Hilliard, Henry - Hilliard, Townsend W. - Holland, Benny - Keenan, Gordie - Kersey, Bobby C. - King, Charles H. - Larrimer, George - Laws, Andrew L. - Lebert, Lindberg A. - Lightsey, Thomas N. - Martinez, Gilbert - Mayville, Donnie D. - Mims, Doug - Montgomery, Charles R. - Morrell, David C. - Olsen, Eric Carl - Patton, William Benjamin - Patout, Rivers - Paysse, Charlie Lou - Postel, Adolph C. - Quesada, José Angel - Ramirez, Gilda - Robb, Alan A. - Rousser, C. A. - Seeba, Patrick - Shaffer, Harold L. - Tellepsen, Tom - Thibodeaux, Terry James - Thompson, Robert L. - Tray, James Thomas - Usher, Michael Gene - Vest, Lou C. - Occupational Folklife Project - American Folklife Center - Houston Arts Alliance
- Date: 2010
Collection Items: View 186 Items
CollectionOmaha Indian Music Presented here are selections from the American Folklife Center's collections documenting Omaha music traditions. The sound recordings include 44 wax cylinder recordings made in the 1890s (first published on a 1985 LP...
- Contributor: American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 873 Items
CollectionQuilts and Quiltmaking in America, 1978-1996 Contains 181 segments from recorded interviews with quiltmakers and 410 graphic images (prints, positive transparencies, and negatives) from two collections in the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress: the Blue...
- Contributor: American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 605 Items
CollectionRhode Island Folklife Project Collection The Rhode Island Folklife Project collection resulted from a field survey project of the American Folklife Center, Library of Congress, conducted in cooperation with the Rhode Island Heritage Commission, the Rhode Island...
- Contributor: Bartis, Peter - Bell, Michael Edward - Burns, Thomas A. - Fleischhauer, Carl - Goldstein, Kenneth S. - Horenstein, Henry - Johnson, Geraldine Niva - Harley, Nancy - Glawson, Francis - Rhode Island Folklife Project - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1979
Collection Items: View 979 Items
CollectionThe Roger Reynolds Collection Roger Reynolds' compositions incorporate elements of theater, digital signal processing, dance, video, and real-time computer spatialization, in a signature multidimensionality of engagement. This Web site provides a glimpse into the process of...
- Contributor: Reynolds, Roger - McAdams, Stephen - Schick, Steven - Suzuki, Tadashi - Takemitsu, Tōru. - Xenakis, Iannis
- Date: 196?
Collection Items: View 53 Items
CollectionSamuel Barber at the Library of Congress The Library of Congress is the preeminent repository for manuscripts by American composer Samuel Barber (1910-1981), one of the most frequently performed and recorded American composers of the twentieth century. Numerous music...
Collection Items: View 49 Items
CollectionSeptember 11, 2001, Documentary Project Flight Attendant. Photo by David A. Taylor, September 2001. September 11, 2001, Documentary Project Collection, American Folklife Center, Library of Congress The September 11, 2001 Documentary Project captures the reactions, eyewitness accounts,...
- Contributor: Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 267 Items