CollectionAbdul Hamid II Collection These photographic albums portray the Ottoman Empire during the reign of one of its last sultans, Abdul-Hamid II. They highlight the modernization of numerous aspects of the Ottoman Empire. Most of the...
- Contributor: Sebah & Joaillier - Abdullah Frères - Abdülhamid II
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 1,819 Items
CollectionAfrican American Photographs Assembled for 1900 Paris Exposition Photographs and other visual material documenting the history of African Americans in Georgia and other areas of the Southern United States. Subjects include portraits of unidentified men, women, and children; photographs of...
- Contributor: Daniel Murray Collection (Library of Congress) - Calloway, Thomas J. - Du Bois, W. E. (William Edward Burghardt)
- Date: 1899
Collection Items: View 557 Items
CollectionAmerican Variety Stage: Vaudeville and Popular Entertainment, 1870-1920 Multimedia collection containing digitized versions of selected Library of Congress holdings. Represents diverse forms of popular entertainment, especially vaudeville, that thrived from 1870-1920. Includes 334 English and Yiddish language playscripts, 146 theater...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1996
CollectionAnsel Adams's Photographs of Japanese-American Internment at Manzanar Photographs document the lives of Japanese Americans interned during World War II at the Manzanar Relocation Center, in Inyo County, California. There are numerous close-up and occupational portraits of individuals, including Roy...
- Contributor: Adams, Ansel
- Date: 1943
Collection Items: View 258 Items
CollectionArchitecture, Design & Engineering Drawings Design drawings. This assemblage of 50,000 design drawings documents architectural and engineering projects throughout the world, but chiefly in the United States. Well known architects and engineers include Benjamin Henry Latrobe, Charles...
- Date: 1750
Collection Items: View 1,867 Items
CollectionBain Collection The photographs document local, national, and international news events with a special emphasis on people and events in New York City. The range of subjects includes: celebrities, parades, sports events, immigration, political...
- Contributor: Bain, George Grantham - Bain News Service
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 41,447 Items
CollectionBaseball Cards Cards depict major and minor league ballplayers (in portraits and action poses), from teams in fifteen identified leagues and seventy-five cities in the United States and Canada. Includes U.S. major league teams...
- Contributor: American Tobacco Company
- Date: 1887
Collection Items: View 2,093 Items
CollectionBorn in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 Presents more than 2,300 first-person accounts of slavery and 500 black-and-white photographs of former slaves. Provides links from individual photographs to the corresponding narratives. Collected in the 1930s as part of the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Federal Writers' Project - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 603 Items
CollectionBrady-Handy Collection The majority of the Brady-Handy negatives are Civil War and post-Civil War portraits, with a small collection of Washington views. Included are Presidents of the United States, their wives, members of Congress,...
- Contributor: Handy, Levin C. (Levin Corbin) - Brady, Mathew
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 5,005 Items
CollectionBrumfield Collection The photographs document the architecture of pre-Soviet Russia. Most of the structures are churches, cathedrals, and monasteries, often shown in multiple views. Structures are located in both large cities and small towns...
- Contributor: Brumfield, William Craft
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 1,139 Items
CollectionBy Popular Demand: Jackie Robinson and Other Baseball Highlights, 1860s-1960s The special presentation called Baseball, the Color Line, and Jackie Robinson, 1860s-1960s is a time line in five sections. It draws on approximately thirty items--manuscripts, books, photographs, and ephemera--from many parts of...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 71 Items
CollectionCabinet of American Illustration Drawings and other graphic representations by American illustrators for magazines, novels, children's books, and advertisements. Includes literary and editorial cartoons and illustrations, and poster sketches. Images reflect political, social, and economic conditions,...
- Contributor: Rogers, W. A. (William Allen) - Frost, A. (Arthur Burdett) - Elliott, Elizabeth Shippen Green - Fogarty, Thomas - Herford, Oliver - Steele, Frederic Dorr - Beard, Daniel Carter - Wright, George Hand - Yohn, F. C. (Frederick Coffay) - Smedley, W. T. (William Thomas)
- Date: 1830
Collection Items: View 3,931 Items
CollectionCarnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South A systematic visual record of the early buildings and gardens of nine southern states: Virginia (ca. 600 sites), North Carolina (ca. 300 sites), Georgia (ca. 250 sites), Louisiana (ca. 170 sites), Alabama...
- Contributor: Carnegie Corporation of New York - Johnston, Frances Benjamin
- Date: 1864
Collection Items: View 6,965 Items
CollectionCarpenter Collection Travel views of Africa, Asia, Europe, and North and South America, with additional locations in the Middle East, Mexico, Central America and some areas of the Caribbean. Many of the images show...
- Contributor: Carpenter, Frances - Carpenter, Frank G. (Frank George)
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 1,814 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings Contains original drawings and illustrations for political, editorial, and humorous cartoons published by international cartoonists in chiefly American newspapers, magazines, and books. Focus is on politics and government, international relations, with emphasis...
- Contributor: Bartholomew, Charles Lewis - Mauldin, Bill - Johnson, Herbert - Frueh, Alfred Joseph - Berryman, Clifford Kennedy - Cesare, Oscar Edward - Kirby, Rollin - Crockett, Gib - Covarrubias, Miguel - Mahony, Felix - Conacher, John C. - Muḥaṣṣiṣ, Ardashīr - Kelly, Walt - Harrington, Oliver W. (Oliver Wendell)
- Date: 1794
Collection Items: View 5,877 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Herblock Collection The archive features more than 14,000 original cartoon drawings from the first to the last years of Herbert Block's career as a pre-eminent editorial voice in American newspapers. The archive also has...
- Contributor: Block, Herbert
- Date: 1930
Collection Items: View 9,121 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Swann Collection of Caricature and Cartoon Political prints and drawings, satires, caricatures, cartoon strips and panels, and periodical illustrations by more than 500 artists, most of whom are American. Includes images that reflect political and economic conditions, social...
- Contributor: Caroline and Erwin Swann Collection (Library of Congress) - Swann, Erwin
- Date: 1780
Collection Items: View 774 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, American Political cartoons and caricatures that cover a wide range of topics from pre-revolutionary America through the presidency of Chester A. Arthur. The predominate theme is the growth and development of the political...
- Contributor: Baillie, James S. - Maurer, Louis - Magee, John L. - Bucholzer, H. - Currier & Ives - Currier, Nathaniel - Childs, John - Clay, Edward Williams - Robinson, Henry R.
- Date: 1766
Collection Items: View 820 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, British Primarily satirical prints by British artists and/or publishers to highlight the foibles of politically and socially prominent persons. Also includes some Dutch, French, and German cartoons. Frequently depicted are members of Parliament,...
- Date: 1650
Collection Items: View 950 Items
CollectionCase Books Includes books and serials (bound volumes) that contain original visual materials such as engravings, woodcuts, lithographs, fine photogravures, and photographic prints. The illustrations are often the featured aspect of the work. Subject...
- Date: 1550
Collection Items: View 68 Items
CollectionCivil War Images depict military personnel and facilities, primarily from a Union perspective. Includes the main Eastern theater, the federal navy and seaborne expeditions against the Atlantic Coast of the Confederacy, the war in...
- Contributor: O'Sullivan, Timothy H. - Brady, Mathew - Barnard, George N. - Gibson, James F. - Gardner, Alexander - Smith, William Morris
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 16,074 Items
CollectionCollege Women's Association of Japan Print Show Collection Prints showing a variety of subjects and abstract designs from the College Women's Association of Japan 50th anniversary print show at theTokyo American Club, Tokyo, Japan, October 21-23, 2005.
- Contributor: College Women's Association of Japan
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 214 Items
CollectionCurtis (Edward S.) Collection The collection includes a large number of individual or group portraits, as well as traditional and ceremonial dress, dwellings and other structures, agriculture, arts and crafts, rites and ceremonies, dances, games, food...
- Contributor: Curtis, Edward S.
- Date: 1899
Collection Items: View 1,074 Items
CollectionDaguerreotypes The majority of the daguerreotypes are portraits by American photographers, including many by Mathew Brady's studio and the first American daguerreotype, made by Robert Cornelius. The collection also includes some early architectural...
- Contributor: Washington, Augustus - Cornelius, Robert - Anson, Rufus - Brady, Mathew
- Date: 1839
Collection Items: View 865 Items
CollectionDetroit Publishing Company Collection features photographs sold as prints or postcards depicting points of interest in the United States (chiefly east of the Mississippi River), Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean area. Includes views of main...
- Contributor: Jackson, William Henry - Hart, Edward H. - Detroit Publishing Co. - Johnston, J. S. (John S.) - Byron (Firm : New York, N.Y.) - Glover. L. S. (Lycurgus S.) - Peabody, Henry G. (Henry Greenwood)
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 25,172 Items
CollectionDrawings (Documentary) This assemblage of documentary drawings features many eye-witness sketches made during the U.S. Civil War. Also included are topographical views, bank note vignettes, portraits, and courtroom sketches. A large group of Russian...
- Date: 1750
Collection Items: View 2,805 Items
CollectionThe Evolution of the Conservation Movement
- Date: 1850
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black-and-White Negatives A visual encyclopedia of rural and urban conditions and lifestyles in the U.S. and its territories, with some images of Canada and international events. The photographs in this government-sponsored project initially documented...
- Contributor: United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1935
Collection Items: View 170,904 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Color Photographs Documentary images of life and culture in the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Farm Security Administration images focus on rural areas, depicting farming, mining, forestry, migrant labor, children,...
- Contributor: Collins, Marjory - United States. Office of War Information - Jacobs, Fenno - Collier, John - Rosskam, Louise - Feininger, Andreas - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration ... Collins, Marjory - United States. Office of War Information - Jacobs, Fenno - Collier, John - Rosskam, Louise - Feininger, Andreas - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration - Lee, Russell - Vachon, John - Rous, John - Bransby, David - Siegel, Arthur S. - Rothstein, Arthur - Liberman, Howard - Delano, Jack - Hollem, Howard R. - Sherwood, Mark - Palmer, Alfred T. - Rittase, William M.
- Date: 1939
Collection Items: View 1,623 Items
CollectionFenton Crimean War Photographs These photographs present a substantial documentary record of the participants and the landscape of the Crimean War, although there are no actual combat scenes. Comprised mainly of portrait photographs of British military...
- Contributor: Fenton, Roger
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 268 Items
CollectionFine Prints: Japanese, pre-1915 Prints filed under JPD represent the Ukiyo-e style. Depicted are famous actors portraying noted samuri or in the role of warriors during theatrical productions. Mythical or legendary characters, courtesans and the daily...
- Contributor: Utagawa, Yoshitora - Utagawa, Yoshitoyo - Utagawa, Yoshikazu - Utagawa, Kuniteru - Andō, Hiroshige - Ikkei - Utagawa, Hiroshige - Ochiai, Yoshiiku - Utagawa, Sadahide
- Date: 1615
Collection Items: View 2,661 Items
CollectionGladstone Collection of African American Photographs The Gladstone Collection features photographs of African Americans and related military and social history. The Civil War era is the primary time period, with scattered examples depicting African Americans in the military...
- Contributor: Gladstone, William A. - Kimball, M. H. - M'clees, Jas. E. (James E.) - Kellogg Brothers - Ball, James Presley - Paxson, Chas. (Charles) - Moore, Henry P. - McPherson & Oliver
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 330 Items
CollectionGoldstein Foundation Collection--Prints and Drawings The collection represents the legacy of realist artists Robert Henri, John Sloan, and Thomas Hart Benton, under whom many of the artists in the exhibition studied and who stood as advocates of...
- Date: 1800
Collection Items: View 159 Items
CollectionGottscho-Schleisner Collection Architectural photographs, often made on commission for architects, designers, and commercial businesses, record important design achievements. Interiors and exteriors of homes, stores, offices, factories, historic buildings, and other structures, primarily in the...
- Contributor: Gottscho-Schleisner, Inc - Gottscho, Samuel H. (Samuel Herman) - Schleisner, William H. (William Herman)
- Date: 1896
Collection Items: View 29,009 Items
CollectionGrabill Collection 3076-1: Ox teams in the Black Hills of South Dakota; 3076-2: Portraits of Oglala, Lakota, Miniconjou, and Brulé Indians, Pine Ridge and Cheyenne River, South Dakota; 3076-3: Railroads, including construction and railroad...
- Contributor: Grabill, John C. H.
- Date: 1887
Collection Items: View 193 Items