CollectionAbraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress The papers of Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865), lawyer, representative from Illinois, and sixteenth president of the United States, contain approximately 40,550 documents dating from 1774 to 1948, although most of the collection spans...
- Contributor: Lincoln, Abraham
Collection Items: View 20,206 Items
CollectionAlexander Graham Bell Family Papers at the Library of Congress The collection contains over 145,000 items. The online version contains 4,695 items (equaling about 51,500 images), consists of correspondence, scientific notebooks, journals, blueprints, articles, and photographs documenting Bell's invention of the telephone...
- Contributor: Fairchild, Marian - Bell, Mabel Gardiner Hubbard - Bell, Alexander Graham - Hubbard, Gardiner G. (Gardiner Greene) - Bell, Alexander Melville
Collection Items: View 4,715 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Papers The papers of Alexander Hamilton (ca. 1757-1804), first treasury secretary of the United States, consist of his personal and public correspondence, drafts of his writings (although not his Federalist essays), and correspondence...
- Contributor: First Church in Albany - Hamilton, Alexander
Collection Items: View 882 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Stephens Papers The papers of Alexander Hamilton Stephens (1812-1883), lawyer, journalist, governor of Georgia, member of both houses of the United States Congress, and vice president of the Confederate States of America, span the...
- Contributor: Stephens, Alexander H. (Alexander Hamilton)
Collection Items: View 124 Items
CollectionAmerican Colony in Jerusalem, 1870-2006 This electronic presentation features selected materials from the physical American Colony in Jerusalem Collection. The full collection in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress represents well over 16,600 items stemming...
- Contributor: Spafford, Anna T. - Spafford, Horatio Gates - American Colony (Jerusalem) - Vester, Bertha Spafford
Collection Items: View 131 Items
CollectionAmerican Federation of Labor Records The records of the American Federation of Labor (AFL) span the years 1883-1925 and consist of letterpress volumes of correspondence of Samuel Gompers (1850-1924) and William Green (1870-1952), presidents of the organization,...
- Contributor: American Federation of Labor
Collection Items: View 359 Items
CollectionAmerican Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1940 This collection of life histories consists of approximately 2,900 documents, compiled and transcribed by more than 300 writers from 24 states, working on the Folklore Project of the Federal Writers’ Project, a...
- Contributor: Writers' Program (U.S.) - Federal Writers' Project - United States. Works Progress Administration - United States. Work Projects Administration
Collection Items: View 2,847 Items
CollectionAndrew Jackson Papers The Andrew Jackson Papers is one of twenty-three presidential collections in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress. The Jackson archival collection contains more than 26,000 items dating from 1767 to...
- Contributor: Jackson, Andrew
Collection Items: View 17,171 Items
CollectionAndrew Johnson Papers The papers of vice president, senator, and representative Andrew Johnson (1808-1875), who became the seventeenth president of the Unites States in 1865 after Abraham Lincoln’s assassination, consist of 40,000 items (63,710 images),...
- Contributor: Johnson, Andrew - Moore, William G. (William George)
Collection Items: View 98 Items
CollectionAnna E. Dickinson Papers The papers of lecturer, reformer, actress, and author Anna Elizabeth Dickinson (1842-1932) span the period 1859-1951, but are chiefly concentrated in the years from 1859 to 1911. The collection consists of approximately...
- Contributor: Dickinson, Anna E. (Anna Elizabeth)
Collection Items: View 404 Items
CollectionAnna Maria Brodeau Thornton Papers The seven volumes of diaries and notebooks, 1793-1861, of Anna Maria Brodeau Thornton (ca.1775-1865) document her position at the center of a Washington, D.C., social circle that included George and Martha Washington,...
- Contributor: Thornton, Anna Maria Brodeau
Collection Items: View 12 Items
CollectionAssociated Press News Dispatches, 1915-1930 The collection of news dispatches of the Washington, D.C., Bureau of the Associated Press spans the period 1915-1930 and consists of 375 volumes (387,082 images), housed in 254 boxes, the contents of...
- Contributor: Associated Press. Washington Bureau
Collection Items: View 380 Items
CollectionBenjamin Franklin Papers The papers of statesman, publisher, scientist, and diplomat Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790) consist of approximately 8,000 items spanning the years 1726 to 1907, with most dating from the 1770s and 1780s. The collection's...
- Contributor: United States. Legation (France) - Franklin, Benjamin - Oswald, Richard - Franklin, William Temple
Collection Items: View 41 Items
CollectionBenjamin Harrison Papers The papers of U.S. senator from Indiana and U.S. Army officer Benjamin Harrison (1833-1901), who became the twenty-third president of the United States, consist of 69,600 items (178,479 images), most of which...
- Contributor: Harrison, Benjamin
Collection Items: View 183 Items
CollectionBetty Herndon Maury Maury Papers The papers of diarist Betty Herndon Maury Maury (1835-1903) consist of a diary kept by Maury from June 3, 1861, to February 18, 1863. The two-volume diary was scanned from one reel...
- Contributor: Maury, Betty Herndon Maury
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 7 Items
CollectionBlackwell Family Papers The Blackwell Family Papers span the years 1759-1960, with the bulk of the material dating from 1845 to 1890. Consisting of approximately 29,000 items (58,002 images), most of which were digitized from...
- Contributor: Blackwell, Henry Browne - Blackwell, Elizabeth - Blackwell, Kitty Barry - Stone, Lucy - Blackwell, Alice Stone - Blackwell, Antoinette Louisa Brown - Blackwell, Emily
Collection Items: View 2,313 Items
CollectionBorn in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 contains more than 2,300 first-person accounts of slavery and 500 black-and-white photographs of former slaves. These narratives were collected in the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Federal Writers' Project - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 603 Items
CollectionBy Popular Demand: Jackie Robinson and Other Baseball Highlights, 1860s-1960s 2007 marks the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's rookie season for the Brooklyn Dodgers. When he stepped onto Ebbets field on April 15th, 1947, Robinson became the first African American in the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 71 Items
CollectionCalvin Coolidge Papers The papers of John Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933), thirtieth president of the United States, consist of approximately 179,000 documents (218,513 images), which have been digitized from 190 reels of previously reproduced microfilm. Held...
- Contributor: Coolidge, Calvin
Collection Items: View 198 Items
CollectionCarrie Chapman Catt Papers The papers of suffragist, political strategist, and pacifist Carrie Lane Chapman Catt (1859-1947) span the years 1848-1950, with the bulk of the material dating from 1890 to 1920. The collection consists of...
- Contributor: Catt, Carrie Chapman
Collection Items: View 573 Items
CollectionCharles S. Hamlin Papers The digitized portion (8,096 items; 17,808 images) of the papers of lawyer, politician, assistant secretary of the treasury, and governor of the Federal Reserve Board Charles S. Hamlin (1861-1938) includes diaries (1887-1937),...
- Contributor: Hamlin, Anna - Robles, Sebastian T. (Sebastian Tomas) - Hamlin, Huybertie Pruyn - Hamlin, Charles S. (Charles Sumner)
Collection Items: View 207 Items
CollectionCharles Wellington Reed Papers, 1776 to 1926 The papers of Civil War soldier and artist Charles Wellington Reed (1841-1926) span the years 1776-1926, with the bulk of the material concentrated in the period 1862-1865, when he served with the...
- Contributor: Reed, Charles Wellington
Collection Items: View 36 Items
CollectionChester Alan Arthur Papers The papers of Chester Alan Arthur (1829-1886), who became the twenty-first president of the United States in 1881 after James A. Garfield’s assassination, consist of 4,400 items (7,667 images), most of which...
- Contributor: Arthur, Chester Alan
Collection Items: View 103 Items
CollectionCivil War Soldier in the Wild Cat Regiment : Selections from the Tilton C. Reynolds Papers Comprising 164 items (359 digital images), this online presentation includes correspondence, photographs, and other materials dating between 1861 and 1865 documenting the Civil War experience of Captain Tilton C. Reynolds, a member...
- Contributor: Reynolds, Tilton C. - Reynolds, Juliana Smith
Collection Items: View 174 Items
CollectionClara Barton Papers The papers of nurse, educator, philanthropist, and lecturer Clara Barton (1821-1912) consist of 62,000 items (81,608 images), most of which were digitized from 123 reels of previously produced microfilm. Spanning the years...
- Contributor: Barton, Clara
Collection Items: View 939 Items
CollectionConfederate States of America Records The records of the Confederate States of America span the years 1854-1889, with the bulk of the material concentrated in the period 1861-1865, during the Civil War in America. The collection relates...
- Contributor: Confederate States of America. Post-Office Department - Confederate States of America. War Department - Confederate States of America. Department of the Treasury - Confederate States of America. Department of Justice - Confederate States of America - Confederate States of America. Army of Tennessee - Confederate States of America. Department of State - Wadsworth, James Wolcott - Confederate States of America. Navy
Collection Items: View 73 Items
CollectionE. B. Washburne Papers The papers of United States representative from Illinois, diplomat, lawyer, and historian E. B. (Elihu Benjamin) Washburne (1816-1887) consist of 37,000 items in 144 containers. The material spans the years 1829-1915, with...
- Contributor: Washburne, E. (Elihu Benjamin)
Collection Items: View 169 Items
CollectionEdwin McMasters Stanton Papers, 1818-1921 The papers of lawyer and Secretary of War Edwin McMasters Stanton (1814-1869) span the years 1818-1921, with the bulk of the material originating between 1862 and 1870. They consist of approximately 7,650...
- Contributor: Stanton, Edwin M. (Edwin McMasters)
Collection Items: View 56 Items
CollectionElizabeth Cady Stanton Papers The papers of suffragist, reformer, and feminist theorist Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1815-1902) cover the years 1814 to 1946, with most of the material concentrated between 1840 and 1902. Consisting of approximately 1,000...
- Contributor: Stanton, Elizabeth Cady
Collection Items: View 169 Items
CollectionEugene Meyer Papers The subject files, 1929-1959, of investment banker, financier, public official, and newspaperman Eugene Meyer (1875-1959) relating to his tenure as fifth chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, 1930-1933, consist of correspondence, memoranda,...
- Contributor: Meyer, Eugene
Collection Items: View 56 Items
CollectionThe Evolution of the Conservation Movement The Evolution of the Conservation Movement, 1850-1920 documents the historical formation and cultural foundations of the movement to conserve and protect America's natural heritage, through books, pamphlets, government documents, manuscripts, prints, photographs,...
- Date: 1850
CollectionFinding Our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond A thematic collection exploring changing models of the universe through time, ideas of life on other words and Carl Sagan’s place in the tradition of science. It features manuscripts, rare books, celestial...
- Contributor: Druyan, Ann - Sagan, Carl - Macfarlane, Seth
Collection Items: View 351 Items
CollectionFranklin Pierce Papers The papers of Franklin Pierce (1804-1869), army officer, representative and senator from New Hampshire, and fourteenth president of the United States, contain approximately 2,350 items dating from 1820 to 1869. They include...
- Contributor: Pierce, Franklin
Collection Items: View 19 Items
CollectionFrederick Douglass Papers at the Library of Congress The Frederick Douglass Papers at the Library of Congress presents the papers of the nineteenth-century African American abolitionist who escaped from slavery and then risked his freedom by becoming an outspoken antislavery...
- Contributor: Douglass, Helen - Douglass, Frederick
Collection Items: View 1,013 Items
CollectionFrederick Law Olmsted Papers The papers of farmer, writer, reformer, landscape architect, urban and suburban planner, and conservationist Frederick Law Olmsted (1822-1903) consist of approximately 24,000 items (roughly 47,300 images), most of which were digitized from...
- Contributor: Olmsted, Gideon - Olmsted, John - Olmsted, Frederick Law
Collection Items: View 741 Items
CollectionFreedom's Fortress: The Library of Congress, 1939-1953 Freedom’s Fortress: The Library of Congress, 1939-1953, contains a selection of 209 letters, memoranda, photographs, and publications (1,176 images) documenting a momentous period in the history of the Library of Congress when...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division
- Date: 2004
Collection Items: View 226 Items
CollectionFrontline Diplomacy: The Foreign Affairs Oral History Collection of the Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training Frontline Diplomacy: The Foreign Affairs Oral History Collection of the Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training at the Library of Congress makes available interview transcripts from the oral history archives of the...
- Contributor: Warner, Marie - Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training. Foreign Affairs Oral History Program - Bentley, Marilyn
Collection Items: View 1,731 Items