CollectionAbraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress Correspondence and other papers relating primarily to Abraham Lincoln's presidency and the Civil War. Includes two drafts of the Gettysburg address, material preserved by John G. Nicolay in his capacities as Lincoln's...
- Contributor: Lincoln, Abraham
Collection Items: View 20,206 Items
CollectionAlexander Graham Bell Family Papers at the Library of Congress Correspondence, diaries, journals, laboratory notebooks, patent records, speeches, writings, subject files, genealogical records, printed material, and other papers pertaining primarily to Bell's invention of the telephone (1876). Also includes material documenting his...
- Contributor: Fairchild, Marian - Bell, Mabel Gardiner Hubbard - Bell, Alexander Graham - Hubbard, Gardiner G. (Gardiner Greene) - Bell, Alexander Melville
Collection Items: View 4,715 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Papers Correspondence, speeches, writings, legal and financial records, printed matter, and other papers relating to Hamilton's personal life and public career, especially his service as an aide to George Washington during the Revolutionary...
- Contributor: First Church in Albany - Hamilton, Alexander
Collection Items: View 882 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Stephens Papers Correspondence, memoranda, telegrams, journal, autobiography, legal documents, clippings, and other papers reflecting Stephens's career in government and politics. Chiefly correspondence concerning national and sectional questions as well as local affairs, philanthropy, and...
- Contributor: Stephens, Alexander H. (Alexander Hamilton)
Collection Items: View 124 Items
CollectionAmerican Colony in Jerusalem, 1870-2006 Correspondence, diaries, minutes, notes, hymns, financial and legal records, scrapbooks, printed matter, photographs, photograph albums, and other papers relating to the history of the American Colony and its members, particularly the Spafford,...
- Contributor: Spafford, Anna T. - Spafford, Horatio Gates - American Colony (Jerusalem) - Vester, Bertha Spafford
Collection Items: View 131 Items
CollectionAmerican Federation of Labor Records Letterpress books containing correspondence of Samuel Gompers, and William Green, presidents of the American Federation of Labor (AFL), and other officials including James Duncan, Gabriel Edmonston, Frank K. Foster, and John McBride....
- Contributor: American Federation of Labor
Collection Items: View 359 Items
CollectionAmerican Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1940 Series A. includes correspondence, memoranda, speeches, essays, scripts, plays, oral testimony in the form of life histories, folklore material, field reports, notes, transcripts of documents, inventories, lists, statements, instructions, surveys, critical appraisals,...
- Contributor: Writers' Program (U.S.) - Federal Writers' Project - United States. Works Progress Administration - United States. Work Projects Administration
Collection Items: View 2,847 Items
CollectionAndrew Jackson Papers Correspondence, memoranda, journals, speeches, military papers, land deeds, scrapbook, printed matter, and other papers reflecting most phases of Jackson's military and political career. Subjects include his law practice in Tennessee, his service...
- Contributor: Jackson, Andrew
Collection Items: View 17,171 Items
CollectionAndrew Johnson Papers Correspondence, memoranda, diaries, messages and speeches, courts-martial and amnesty records, financial records, lists, newspaper clippings, printed matter, scrapbooks, photographs, and other papers relating chiefly to Johnson's presidency. Subjects include the Civil War,...
- Contributor: Johnson, Andrew - Moore, William G. (William George)
Collection Items: View 98 Items
CollectionAnna E. Dickinson Papers Correspondence, speeches, writings, plays, legal files, financial papers, newspaper clippings, itineraries, scrapbooks, obituaries, printed material, and other papers relating to Dickinson's activities on behalf of abolition, women's rights, and suffrage and to...
- Contributor: Dickinson, Anna E. (Anna Elizabeth)
Collection Items: View 404 Items
CollectionAnna Maria Brodeau Thornton Papers Seven bound volumes containing diaries, journals, essays, log of household visitors, daily log of activities, household accounts, silhouettes of unidentified people, and other papers primarily describing social life in Washington, D.C., with...
- Contributor: Thornton, Anna Maria Brodeau
Collection Items: View 12 Items
CollectionAssociated Press News Dispatches, 1915-1930 Collection of news dispatches from the Washington D.C. Bureau of the Associated Press spanning 15 years and containing an unbroken chronology of world and national events as reported by the news agency.
- Contributor: Associated Press. Washington Bureau
Collection Items: View 380 Items
CollectionBenjamin Franklin Papers Correspondence, journals, records, articles, and other material relating to Franklin's life and career. Includes manuscript (1728) of his Articles of Belief and Acts of Religion; negotations in London (1775); letterbooks (1779-1782) of...
- Contributor: United States. Legation (France) - Franklin, Benjamin - Oswald, Richard - Franklin, William Temple
Collection Items: View 41 Items
CollectionBetty Herndon Maury Maury Papers Diary (1861 June 3-1863 February 18) written chiefly at Fredericksburg, Va., containing detailed comments on the progress of the Civil War, especially in the local area, hardships suffered by Confederate soldiers, and...
- Contributor: Maury, Betty Herndon Maury
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 7 Items
CollectionBlackwell Family Papers Correspondence, diaries (1872-1937), translations of poetry and correspondence with Armenian, Russian, and Spanish poets, and other papers of Alice Stone Blackwell, editor of the Woman's Journal (1909-1917), reflecting her literary endeavors and...
- Contributor: Blackwell, Henry Browne - Blackwell, Elizabeth - Blackwell, Kitty Barry - Stone, Lucy - Blackwell, Alice Stone - Blackwell, Antoinette Louisa Brown - Blackwell, Emily
Collection Items: View 2,313 Items
CollectionBorn in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 Presents more than 2,300 first-person accounts of slavery and 500 black-and-white photographs of former slaves. Provides links from individual photographs to the corresponding narratives. Collected in the 1930s as part of the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Federal Writers' Project - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 603 Items
CollectionBranch Rickey Papers Correspondence, family papers, speeches and writings, memoranda, scouting and other reports, notes, subject files, scrapbooks, and other papers documenting Rickey's career as a major league baseball manager and executive. Also documents his...
- Contributor: Rickey, Branch
Collection Items: View 37 Items
CollectionBy Popular Demand: Jackie Robinson and Other Baseball Highlights, 1860s-1960s The special presentation called Baseball, the Color Line, and Jackie Robinson, 1860s-1960s is a time line in five sections. It draws on approximately thirty items--manuscripts, books, photographs, and ephemera--from many parts of...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 71 Items
CollectionCarrie Chapman Catt Papers Correspondence, diaries, drafts of speeches and articles, subject files, biographical papers, newspaper clippings, printed material, and other papers relating primarily to Catt's efforts on behalf of the women's suffrage movement, feminism, and...
- Contributor: Catt, Carrie Chapman
Collection Items: View 573 Items
CollectionCharles S. Hamlin Papers Correspondence, diaries, speeches, writings, biographical notes, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, printed matter, and other papers relating chiefly to Hamlin's service in the U.S. Dept. of the Treasury and the Federal Reserve System; Hamlin's...
- Contributor: Hamlin, Anna - Robles, Sebastian T. (Sebastian Tomas) - Hamlin, Huybertie Pruyn - Hamlin, Charles S. (Charles Sumner)
Collection Items: View 207 Items
CollectionCharles Wellington Reed Papers, 1776 to 1926 Correspondence, diary (1864), ink and pencil sketches, watercolors, prints, lithographs, books illustrated by Reed, citations, military papers, printed material, maps, medals, photographs, and memorabilia relating to Reed's service in the 9th Massachusetts...
- Contributor: Reed, Charles Wellington
Collection Items: View 36 Items
CollectionChester Alan Arthur Papers Correspondence, financial papers, scrapbooks, clippings, and other papers relating to Arthur's presidency, his service as collector of customs for the Port of New York, and the New York Republican State Committee. Correspondents...
- Contributor: Arthur, Chester Alan
Collection Items: View 103 Items
CollectionCivil War Soldier in the Wild Cat Regiment : Selections from the Tilton C. Reynolds Papers Chiefly letters written by Reynolds to his mother, Juliana Smith Reynolds, during his service with the 105th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment that describe Civil War skirmishes in Virginia, military life, and morale of...
- Contributor: Reynolds, Tilton C. - Reynolds, Juliana Smith
Collection Items: View 174 Items
CollectionClara Barton Papers Correspondence, diaries and journals, reports, addresses, legal and financial papers, organizational records, lectures, writings, scrapbooks, biographical material, printed matter, memorabilia, and other papers relating to Barton's work to provide relief services during...
- Contributor: Barton, Clara
Collection Items: View 939 Items
CollectionConfederate States of America Records Correspondence, proclamations, messages of the president, court cases, minute books, docket books, customs records, financial papers, letterbooks, orders, reports, accounts, receipts, and other records relating to the formulation of the government of...
- Contributor: Confederate States of America. Post-Office Department - Confederate States of America. War Department - Confederate States of America. Department of the Treasury - Confederate States of America. Department of Justice - Confederate States of America - Confederate States of America. Army of Tennessee - Confederate States of America. Department of State - Wadsworth, James Wolcott - Confederate States of America. Navy
Collection Items: View 73 Items
CollectionDonald Benham Civil War Collection Correspondence, speeches, military orders and records, financial and legal records, and other papers of Union Army officers and soldiers concerning recruitment, enlistment, camp life, battle engagements, military strategy, and distribution of military...
- Contributor: Benham, Donald
Collection Items: View 15 Items
CollectionE. B. Washburne Papers Chiefly correspondence documenting Washburne's service as a member of Congress in the Civil War era, 1853-1869, and as minister to France, 1869-1877. Subjects include Whig politics nationally and in Illinois; Washburne's congressional...
- Contributor: Washburne, E. (Elihu Benjamin)
Collection Items: View 169 Items
CollectionEdwin McMasters Stanton Papers, 1818-1921 Correspondence, letterbooks, reports, printed matter, memorabilia, maps, and other papers relating chiefly to Stanton's role as U.S. secretary of war under Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson and to his role in the...
- Contributor: Stanton, Edwin M. (Edwin McMasters)
Collection Items: View 56 Items
CollectionElizabeth Cady Stanton Papers Correspondence, speeches, articles, drafts of books, scrapbooks, and printed matter documenting Stanton's career as an advocate for women's rights. Includes material on her efforts on behalf of women's legal status and women's...
- Contributor: Stanton, Elizabeth Cady
Collection Items: View 169 Items
CollectionEugene Meyer Papers Correspondence, memoranda, minutes, diaries, oral history interviews, speeches, writings, congressional testimony, press statements, family papers, biographical material, financial records, printed matter, scrapbooks, photographs, and other papers relating to Meyer's career as a...
- Contributor: Meyer, Eugene
Collection Items: View 56 Items
CollectionThe Evolution of the Conservation Movement
- Date: 1850
CollectionFinding Our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond Correspondence, memoranda, scripts, book drafts and resource material, articles, reports, notes, subject files, course files, organization files, biographical material, clippings, printed matter, slides and transparencies, photographs and negatives, digital files, and other...
- Contributor: Druyan, Ann - Sagan, Carl - Macfarlane, Seth
Collection Items: View 349 Items
CollectionFranklin Pierce Papers Correspondence, diary kept by Pierce while serving in the Mexican war, writings including drafts of Pierce's messages to Congress, and an engraved portrait. Relates chiefly to public affairs and national politics. Correspondents...
- Contributor: Pierce, Franklin
Collection Items: View 19 Items
CollectionFrederick Douglass Papers at the Library of Congress Correspondence, diary (1886-1887), speeches, articles, manuscript of Douglass's autobiography, financial and legal papers, newspaper clippings, and other papers relating primarily to the career of Douglass. Documents his interest in social, educational, and...
- Contributor: Douglass, Helen - Douglass, Frederick
Collection Items: View 1,013 Items
CollectionFrederick Law Olmsted Papers Correspondence, letterbooks, journals, drafts of articles and books, speeches and lectures, biographical and genealogical data, business papers, legal and financial papers, scrapbooks, printed material, maps, drawings, and other papers encompassing Olmsted's career...
- Contributor: Olmsted, Gideon - Olmsted, John - Olmsted, Frederick Law
Collection Items: View 741 Items
CollectionFreedom's Fortress: The Library of Congress, 1939-1953 Tells the history of the Library of Congress from 1939 to 1953. Discusses the changes the Library underwent to establish the institution as one of America's foremost citadels of intellectual freedom. Archibald...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division
- Date: 2004
Collection Items: View 226 Items
CollectionFrontline Diplomacy: The Foreign Affairs Oral History Collection of the Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training CD-ROM containing transcripts of individual histories along with country specific readers documenting U.S. foreign affairs. Interviewees include career and noncareer diplomats, Foreign Service and Civil Service personnel from agencies such as the...
- Contributor: Warner, Marie - Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training. Foreign Affairs Oral History Program - Bentley, Marilyn
Collection Items: View 1,730 Items
CollectionGeorge Brinton McClellan Papers Correspondence; telegrams; memoranda; diaries; writings; notes; military papers; printed copies of speeches, articles, and books; McClellan family papers; scrapbooks; and other papers relating primarily to McClellan's Civil War service particularly in the...
- Contributor: McClellan, Mary Ellen Marcy - McClellan, George (George Brinton) - Minter, Joseph F.
Collection Items: View 343 Items