CollectionAbraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress The papers of Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865), lawyer, representative from Illinois, and sixteenth president of the United States, contain approximately 40,550 documents dating from 1774 to 1948, although most of the collection spans...
- Contributor: Lincoln, Abraham
Collection Items: View 20,206 Items
CollectionAlexander Graham Bell Family Papers at the Library of Congress The collection contains over 145,000 items. The online version contains 4,695 items (equaling about 51,500 images), consists of correspondence, scientific notebooks, journals, blueprints, articles, and photographs documenting Bell's invention of the telephone...
- Contributor: Bell, Alexander Graham - Bell, Alexander Melville - Bell, Mabel Gardiner Hubbard - Fairchild, Marian - Hubbard, Gardiner G. (Gardiner Greene)
Collection Items: View 4,715 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Papers The papers of Alexander Hamilton (ca. 1757-1804), first treasury secretary of the United States, consist of his personal and public correspondence, drafts of his writings (although not his Federalist essays), and correspondence...
- Contributor: Hamilton, Alexander - First Church in Albany
Collection Items: View 881 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Stephens Papers The papers of Alexander Hamilton Stephens (1812-1883), lawyer, journalist, governor of Georgia, member of both houses of the United States Congress, and vice president of the Confederate States of America, span the...
- Contributor: Stephens, Alexander H. (Alexander Hamilton)
Collection Items: View 124 Items
CollectionThe Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana The collection contains more than 11,100 items. This online release presents over 1,300 items with a over 4,000 images and a date range of 1824-1931. It includes the complete collection of Stern's...
- Contributor: Stern, Alfred Whital - Library of Congress - Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1824
Collection Items: View 1,541 Items
CollectionAmerica Singing: Nineteenth-Century Song Sheets Contains 4291 song sheets. Included among these American songs are ninety-seven British song sheets from Dublin and London. The collection spans the period from the turn of the nineteenth century to the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Rare Book and Special Collections Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 4,293 Items
CollectionAmerican Colony in Jerusalem, 1870-2006 This electronic presentation features selected materials from the physical American Colony in Jerusalem Collection. The full collection in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress represents well over 16,600 items stemming...
- Contributor: American Colony (Jerusalem) - Spafford, Anna T. - Spafford, Horatio Gates - Vester, Bertha Spafford
Collection Items: View 131 Items
CollectionAmerican Notes: Travels in America, 1750-1920 Comprises 253 published narratives by Americans and foreign visitors recounting their travels in the colonies and the United States and their observations and opinions about American peoples, places, and society from about...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2003
Collection Items: View 255 Items
CollectionAndrew Jackson Papers The Andrew Jackson Papers is one of twenty-three presidential collections in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress. The Jackson archival collection contains more than 26,000 items dating from 1767 to...
- Contributor: Jackson, Andrew
Collection Items: View 17,171 Items
CollectionAnna Maria Brodeau Thornton Papers The seven volumes of diaries and notebooks, 1793-1861, of Anna Maria Brodeau Thornton (ca.1775-1865) document her position at the center of a Washington, D.C., social circle that included George and Martha Washington,...
- Contributor: Thornton, Anna Maria Brodeau
Collection Items: View 12 Items
CollectionAnsel Adams's Photographs of Japanese-American Internment at Manzanar In 1943, Ansel Adams (1902-1984), America's most well-known photographer, documented the Manzanar War Relocation Center in California and the Japanese-Americans interned there during World War II. For the first time, digital scans...
- Contributor: Adams, Ansel
- Date: 1943
Collection Items: View 258 Items
CollectionBain Collection The George Grantham Bain Collection represents the photographic files of one of America's earliest news picture agencies. The collection richly documents sports events, theater, celebrities, crime, strikes, disasters, political activities including the...
- Contributor: Bain, George Grantham - Bain News Service
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 41,447 Items
CollectionBefore and After the Great Earthquake and Fire: Early Films of San Francisco, 1897-1916 This collection consists of twenty-six films of San Francisco from before and after the Great Earthquake and Fire, 1897-1916. Seventeen of the films depict San Francisco and its environs before the 1906...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 34 Items
CollectionBenjamin Franklin Papers The papers of statesman, publisher, scientist, and diplomat Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790) consist of approximately 8,000 items spanning the years 1726 to 1907, with most dating from the 1770s and 1780s. The collection's...
- Contributor: Franklin, Benjamin - Franklin, William Temple - Oswald, Richard - United States. Legation (France)
Collection Items: View 41 Items
CollectionBetty Herndon Maury Maury Papers The papers of diarist Betty Herndon Maury Maury (1835-1903) consist of a diary kept by Maury from June 3, 1861, to February 18, 1863. The two-volume diary was scanned from one reel...
- Contributor: Maury, Betty Herndon Maury
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 7 Items
CollectionBrady-Handy Collection In 1954 the Library of Congress purchased from Alice H. Cox and Mary H. Evans, the daughters of Levin C. Handy approximately 10,000 original, duplicate, and copy negatives. The L.C. Handy Studio...
- Contributor: Brady, Mathew - Handy, Levin C. (Levin Corbin)
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 5,005 Items
CollectionCarrie Chapman Catt Papers The papers of suffragist, political strategist, and pacifist Carrie Lane Chapman Catt (1859-1947) span the years 1848-1950, with the bulk of the material dating from 1890 to 1920. The collection consists of...
- Contributor: Catt, Carrie Chapman
Collection Items: View 573 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings Offers more than 9,000 original drawings for editorial cartoons, caricatures, and comic strips spanning the late 1700s to the present, primarily from 1880 to 1980. The cartoons cover people and events throughout...
- Contributor: Bartholomew, Charles Lewis - Berryman, Clifford Kennedy - Cesare, Oscar Edward - Conacher, John C. - Covarrubias, Miguel - Crockett, Gib - Frueh, Alfred Joseph - Harrington, Oliver W. (Oliver Wendell) - Johnson, Herbert - Kelly, Walt - Kirby, Rollin - Mahony, Felix - Mauldin, Bill - Muḥaṣṣiṣ, Ardashīr
- Date: 1794
Collection Items: View 5,866 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Herblock Collection Herbert L. Block (1909-2001), known to the world as Herblock, was one of the most influential political commentators and editorial cartoonists in American history. His long chronicle of major social and political...
- Contributor: Block, Herbert
- Date: 1930
Collection Items: View 9,101 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Swann Collection of Caricature and Cartoon Contains 2,085 drawings, prints, and paintings related to the art of caricature, cartoon, and illustration, spanning the years 1780 to 1977 and includes works by 521 American and foreign artists and illustrators....
- Contributor: Swann, Erwin - Caroline and Erwin Swann Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1780
Collection Items: View 772 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, American This assemblage of more than 500 prints made in America during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries encompasses several forms of political art. Most of the prints are from the division's PC/US series,...
- Contributor: Baillie, James S. - Bucholzer, H. - Childs, John - Clay, Edward Williams - Currier, Nathaniel - Magee, John L. - Maurer, Louis - Robinson, Henry R. - Currier & Ives
- Date: 1766
Collection Items: View 818 Items
CollectionA Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation: U.S. Congressional Documents and Debates 1774-1875 Beginning with the Continental Congress in 1774, America's national legislative bodies have kept records of their proceedings. The records of the Continental Congress, the Constitutional Convention, and the United States Congress make...
- Contributor: Law Library of Congress (U.S.) - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 637 Items
CollectionClara Barton Papers The papers of nurse, educator, philanthropist, and lecturer Clara Barton (1821-1912) consist of 62,000 items (81,608 images), most of which were digitized from 123 reels of previously produced microfilm. Spanning the years...
- Contributor: Barton, Clara
Collection Items: View 939 Items
CollectionCurtis (Edward S.) Collection The Curtis collection consists of more than 2,400 silver-gelatin, first generation photographic prints--some of which are sepia-toned--made from Curtis's original glass negatives. Most of the photographic prints are 5" x 7" although...
- Contributor: Curtis, Edward S.
- Date: 1899
Collection Items: View 1,074 Items
CollectionDaguerreotypes There are approximately 700 daguerreotypes in the Prints & Photographs Division. The majority of the images are portraits, but the collection does include a few early architectural views, outdoor scenes, and copies...
- Contributor: Anson, Rufus - Brady, Mathew - Cornelius, Robert - Washington, Augustus
- Date: 1839
Collection Items: View 861 Items
CollectionDepartment of Defense Annual Reports (1948-1996) and Military Branch Budget Justification Books (1980-1996) This collection consists of: Department of Defense Annual Reports (1948-1996) and military service branch Justification of Estimates Books, "J-Books" (1980-1996). The digital collection is based on a large physical reference collection held...
Collection Items: View 713 Items
CollectionDetroit Publishing Company Includes over 25,000 glass negatives and transparencies as well as about 300 color photolithograph prints, mostly of the eastern United States. Subjects strongly represented in the collection include city and town views,...
- Contributor: Detroit Publishing Co. - Jackson, William Henry - Glover. L. S. (Lycurgus S.) - Peabody, Henry G. (Henry Greenwood) - Hart, Edward H. - Johnston, J. S. (John S.) - Byron (Firm : New York, N.Y.)
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 25,172 Items
CollectionDocuments from the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention, 1774-1789 Contains 277 documents relating to the work of Congress and the drafting and ratification of the Constitution. Items include extracts of the journals of Congress, resolutions, proclamations, committee reports, treaties, and early...
- Contributor: United States. Continental Congress - Continental Congress Broadside Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1774
Collection Items: View 325 Items
CollectionE. B. Washburne Papers The papers of United States representative from Illinois, diplomat, lawyer, and historian E. B. (Elihu Benjamin) Washburne (1816-1887) consist of 37,000 items in 144 containers. The material spans the years 1829-1915, with...
- Contributor: Washburne, E. (Elihu Benjamin)
Collection Items: View 169 Items
CollectionEdwin McMasters Stanton Papers, 1818-1921 The papers of lawyer and Secretary of War Edwin McMasters Stanton (1814-1869) span the years 1818-1921, with the bulk of the material originating between 1862 and 1870. They consist of approximately 7,650...
- Contributor: Stanton, Edwin M. (Edwin McMasters)
Collection Items: View 56 Items
CollectionElizabeth Cady Stanton Papers The papers of suffragist, reformer, and feminist theorist Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1815-1902) cover the years 1814 to 1946, with most of the material concentrated between 1840 and 1902. Consisting of approximately 1,000...
- Contributor: Stanton, Elizabeth Cady
Collection Items: View 168 Items
CollectionThe Evolution of the Conservation Movement The Evolution of the Conservation Movement, 1850-1920 documents the historical formation and cultural foundations of the movement to conserve and protect America's natural heritage, through books, pamphlets, government documents, manuscripts, prints, photographs,...
- Date: 1850
Collection Items: View 744 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black-and-White Negatives The photographs of the Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Photograph Collection form an extensive pictorial record of American life between 1935 and 1944. This U.S. government photography project was...
- Contributor: United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1935
Collection Items: View 170,901 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Color Photographs Photographers working for the U.S. government's Farm Security Administration (FSA) and later the Office of War Information (OWI) between 1939 and 1944 made approximately 1,600 color photographs that depict life in the...
- Contributor: Bransby, David - Collins, Marjory - Collier, John - Delano, Jack - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Feininger, Andreas - Hollem, Howard R. - Jacobs, Fenno - Lee, Russell ... Bransby, David - Collins, Marjory - Collier, John - Delano, Jack - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Feininger, Andreas - Hollem, Howard R. - Jacobs, Fenno - Lee, Russell - Liberman, Howard - Palmer, Alfred T. - Rittase, William M. - Rosskam, Louise - Rothstein, Arthur - Rous, John - Sherwood, Mark - Siegel, Arthur S. - Vachon, John - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1939
Collection Items: View 1,623 Items
CollectionFranklin Pierce Papers The papers of Franklin Pierce (1804-1869), army officer, representative and senator from New Hampshire, and fourteenth president of the United States, contain approximately 2,350 items dating from 1820 to 1869. They include...
- Contributor: Pierce, Franklin
Collection Items: View 19 Items