CollectionArchitecture, Design & Engineering Drawings The Architecture, Design, and Engineering category covers about 40,000 drawings (described in more than 3,900 catalog records), spanning 1600 to 1989, with most dating between 1880 and 1940. The designs are primarily...
- Date: 1750
Collection Items: View 1,719 Items
CollectionBrumfield Collection William C. Brumfield, Professor of Russian Studies at Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, has extensively photographed and written about the wooden architecture of the Russian North, the jumping-off point for the explorers,...
- Contributor: Brumfield, William Craft
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 1,139 Items
CollectionCabinet of American Illustration Contains more than four thousand original drawings by American book, magazine, and newspaper illustrators, made primarily between 1880 and 1910. The collection includes illustrations for magazines, novels, and children's books; cartoons; cover...
- Contributor: Rogers, W. A. (William Allen) - Frost, A. (Arthur Burdett) - Elliott, Elizabeth Shippen Green - Fogarty, Thomas - Herford, Oliver - Steele, Frederic Dorr - Beard, Daniel Carter - Wright, George Hand - Yohn, F. C. (Frederick Coffay) - Smedley, W. T. (William Thomas)
- Date: 1830
Collection Items: View 3,932 Items
CollectionCarnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South Noted architectural photographer Frances Benjamin Johnston (1864-1952) created a systematic record of early American buildings and gardens called the Carnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South (CSAS). This collection, created primarily...
- Contributor: Carnegie Corporation of New York - Johnston, Frances Benjamin
- Date: 1864
Collection Items: View 6,965 Items
CollectionCollege Women's Association of Japan Print Show Collection More than 180 artists living and working in Japan created the 212 fine art prints in the College Women's Association of Japan Print Show Collection. The prints, dating primarily from 2003 to...
- Contributor: College Women's Association of Japan
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 210 Items
CollectionComics Literature and Criticism Web Archive This collection includes various forms of comics literature and criticism, such as blogs and other online publication platforms, to preserve contemporary discussion regarding this format/genre/subject in its various forms (comic books, comic...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Library of Congress. Serial & Government Publications Division
- Date: 2018
Collection Items: View 40 Items
CollectionDaguerreotypes There are approximately 700 daguerreotypes in the Prints & Photographs Division. The majority of the images are portraits, but the collection does include a few early architectural views, outdoor scenes, and copies...
- Contributor: Washington, Augustus - Cornelius, Robert - Anson, Rufus - Brady, Mathew
- Date: 1839
Collection Items: View 865 Items
CollectionDetroit Publishing Company Includes over 25,000 glass negatives and transparencies as well as about 300 color photolithograph prints, mostly of the eastern United States. Subjects strongly represented in the collection include city and town views,...
- Contributor: Jackson, William Henry - Hart, Edward H. - Detroit Publishing Co. - Johnston, J. S. (John S.) - Byron (Firm : New York, N.Y.) - Glover. L. S. (Lycurgus S.) - Peabody, Henry G. (Henry Greenwood)
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 25,172 Items
CollectionDrawings (Master) Background and Scope: Joseph Pennell Drawings Some 4,700 drawings created by American artist, illustrator, printmaker, and writer Joseph Pennell (1857-1926) are preserved in the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. Such...
- Date: 1500
Collection Items: View 201 Items
CollectionFederal Theatre Project, 1935 to 1939 This online presentation includes items selected from the Federal Theatre Project Collection at the Library of Congress. Featured here are stage and costume designs, photographs, posters, playbills, programs, and playscripts, including productions...
- Contributor: Gottlieb, William P.
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 6,586 Items
CollectionFine Prints: Japanese, pre-1915 The Library's Prints and Photographs Division houses more than 2,500 woodblock prints and drawings by Japanese artists of the seventeenth through early twentieth centuries including Hiroshige, Kuniyoshi, Sadahide, and Yoshiiku. The Library...
- Contributor: Utagawa, Yoshitora - Utagawa, Yoshitoyo - Utagawa, Yoshikazu - Utagawa, Kuniteru - Andō, Hiroshige - Ikkei - Utagawa, Hiroshige - Ochiai, Yoshiiku - Utagawa, Sadahide
- Date: 1615
Collection Items: View 2,661 Items
CollectionFrederick Law Olmsted Papers The papers of farmer, writer, reformer, landscape architect, urban and suburban planner, and conservationist Frederick Law Olmsted (1822-1903) consist of approximately 24,000 items (roughly 47,300 images), most of which were digitized from...
- Contributor: Olmsted, Gideon - Olmsted, John - Olmsted, Frederick Law
Collection Items: View 741 Items
CollectionGarden and Forest Garden and Forest: A Journal of Horticulture, Landscape Art, and Forestry (1888-1897) was the first American journal devoted to horticulture, botany, landscape design and preservation, national and urban park development, scientific forestry,...
- Contributor: Sargent, Charles Sprague
- Date: 1888
Collection Items: View 11 Items
CollectionGenthe Collection Arnold Genthe (1869-1942) was an internationally recognized photographer working in the soft-focus pictorialist style. The Library of Congress acquired approximately 20,000 items from his unclaimed studio after his death.
- Contributor: Genthe, Arnold
- Date: 1896
Collection Items: View 16,861 Items
CollectionGeorgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz Correspondence This collection of Georgia O’Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz Correspondence and Related Material (157 items; 618 images) consists mostly of letters, 1929-1947, written by painter Georgia O’Keeffe (1887-1986) and her husband, Photo-Secession movement...
- Contributor: Stieglitz, Alfred - O'Keeffe, Georgia
Collection Items: View 41 Items
CollectionGoldstein Foundation Collection--Prints and Drawings This category consists of all of the individually issued prints and drawings in the Ben and Beatrice Goldstein Foundation Collection: 1,688 items dating primarily from the 1880s to the 1960s. The collection...
- Date: 1800
Collection Items: View 159 Items
CollectionGottscho-Schleisner Collection The collection of more than 45,000 items (negatives, transparencies and prints) came to the Library of Congress in the early 1980s. The online collection provides access to 29,000 negatives and color transparencies....
- Contributor: Gottscho-Schleisner, Inc - Gottscho, Samuel H. (Samuel Herman) - Schleisner, William H. (William Herman)
- Date: 1896
Collection Items: View 29,010 Items
CollectionHighsmith (Carol M.) Archive Photographs of landmark buildings and architectural renovation projects in Washington, D.C., and throughout the United States. The first 23 groups of photographs contain more than 2,500 images and date from 1980 to...
- Contributor: Highsmith, Carol M.
Collection Items: View 61,132 Items
CollectionHistoric American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey Overview of the HABS/HAER/HALS collections, which document achievements in architecture, engineering, and landscape design from the 17th-20th centuries in the United States and its territories through measured drawings, photographs, and written historical...
- Contributor: Historic American Buildings Survey
- Date: 1933
Collection Items: View 44,390 Items
CollectionHorydczak Collection The Theodor Horydczak Collection (about 14,350 photographs online) documents the architecture and social life of the Washington metropolitan area in the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s, including exteriors and interiors of commercial, residential,...
- Contributor: Horydczak, Theodor
- Date: 1915
Collection Items: View 14,324 Items
CollectionJohnston (Frances Benjamin) Collection NEW! See Gardens and Historic Houses in more than 1,000 hand-colored photos Collection Overview: Lantern Slides for Garden & Historic House Lectures Frances Benjamin Johnston (1864-1952) was one of the first American...
- Contributor: Johnston, Frances Benjamin
- Date: 1864
Collection Items: View 3,130 Items
CollectionKorab Collection Represented in this online collection is a selection from the Korab Collection. Included are: Almost 800 photographs by Balthazar Korab documenting 19 projects designed by renowned architect Eero Saarinen (1910-1961). Included are...
- Contributor: Korab, Balthazar
- Date: 1955
Collection Items: View 2,358 Items
CollectionLamb Studios Archive This online presentation offers images of nearly 2,500 design sketches for stained glass windows, murals, mosaics, furnishings, metalwork, and interior architecture. The drawings feature striking watercolors created from the 1860s to the...
- Contributor: J. & R. Lamb Studios
- Date: 1869
Collection Items: View 2,456 Items
CollectionLawrence & Houseworth Collection In 1867 the Library of Congress acquired a set of more than 900 albumen silver half stereographs published by Lawrence and Houseworth of San Francisco. The acquisition also included the third edition...
- Contributor: Lawrence & Houseworth
- Date: 1862
Collection Items: View 910 Items
CollectionLiving Nations, Living Words This collection—part of Poet Laureate Joy Harjo’s “Living Nations, Living Words” signature project—contains audio recordings of 47 contemporary Native American poets reading and discussing an original poem. Listen to Joy Harjo, Louise...
Collection Items: View 49 Items
CollectionManuscript Division Web Archive The Manuscript Division Web Archive includes principally websites of organizations with which the Division has an existing relationship. Although diverse in content, they fall into several broad categories. First, there are sites...
- Contributor: National Council of Jewish Women - American Studies Association - Sigmund Freud Copyrights (Firm) - Society of Woman Geographers - Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund - Sigmund Freud Archives - Library of Congress - Ameen Rihani Organization - Sigmund Freud Museum (Vienna, Austria) - National Consumers' League ... National Council of Jewish Women - American Studies Association - Sigmund Freud Copyrights (Firm) - Society of Woman Geographers - Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund - Sigmund Freud Archives - Library of Congress - Ameen Rihani Organization - Sigmund Freud Museum (Vienna, Austria) - National Consumers' League - Phi Beta Kappa - Center for International Private Enterprise - Dr. Frederick A. Cook Society - National Democratic Institute for International Affairs - Macdowell Colony (Peterborough, N.H.) - League of Women Voters (U.S.) - American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics - Historical Society of the District of Columbia Circuit - Navy League of the United States - American Council of Learned Societies - Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training - National Coalition for History - Solidarity Center (Afl-Cio) - National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (U.S.) - National Endowment for Democracy (U.S.) - Civil Rights Coalition for the 21st Century - American Historical Association - American Society of Landscape Architects - National Urban League - Freud Museum (London, England) - Streit Council for a Union of Democracies
- Date: 2008
Collection Items: View 39 Items
CollectionMontgomery C. Meigs Papers The papers of army officer, engineer, architect, and scientist Montgomery C. Meigs (1816-1892) consist of 11,000 items (39,635 images), most of which were digitized from 51 reels of previously produced microfilm. Spanning...
- Contributor: Meigs, Montgomery C. (Montgomery Cunningham) - Meigs, Montgomery
Collection Items: View 317 Items
CollectionNational Child Labor Committee Collection Working as an investigative photographer for the National Child Labor Committee (NCLC), Lewis Hine (1874-1940) documented working and living conditions of children in the United States between 1908 and 1924. The NCLC...
- Contributor: Hine, Lewis Wickes - National Child Labor Committee (U.S.)
- Date: 1908
Collection Items: View 5,130 Items
CollectionNational Photo Company Collection This collection documents virtually all aspects of Washington, D.C., life. During the administrations of Presidents Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover, the National Photo Company supplied photographs of current news events in Washington,...
- Contributor: National Photo Company
- Date: 1909
Collection Items: View 35,614 Items
CollectionOlmsted Associates Records The digitized portion of the Olmsted Associates Records consist of approximately 149,000 items (366,518 images), scanned from 532 reels of microfilm reproducing the two largest series in the collection, the Letterbooks, 1884-1899,...
- Contributor: Olmsted, Olmsted, and Eliot - Olmsted Associates - F.L. Olmsted and Company - Frederick Law Olmsted (Firm) - F.L. And J.C. Olmsted (Firm) - Olmsted Brothers - Olmsted, John Charles - Olmsted, Frederick Law
Collection Items: View 6,688 Items
CollectionOrigins of American Animation The development of early American animation is represented by this collection of 21 animated films and 2 fragments, which spans the years 1900 to 1921. The films include clay, puppet, and cut-out...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 29 Items