CollectionAfrican American Perspectives: Materials Selected from the Rare Book Collection "African American Perspectives" gives a panoramic and eclectic review of African American history and culture and is primarily comprised of two collections in the Rare Book and Special Collections Division: the African...
- Date: 1875
Collection Items: View 828 Items
CollectionAfrican American Photographs Assembled for 1900 Paris Exposition The Paris Exposition of 1900 (Exposition universelle internationale de 1900) devoted a building to matters of "social economy." The United States section of the building featured an exhibit that, according to W....
- Contributor: Du Bois, W. E. (William Edward Burghardt) - Calloway, Thomas J. - Daniel Murray Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1899
Collection Items: View 557 Items
CollectionAfrican-American Band Music & Recordings, 1883-1923 The core of this presentation consists of "stock" arrangements for bands or small orchestras of popular songs written by African Americans. In addition, we offer a smaller selection of historic sound recordings...
- Date: 1883
Collection Items: View 365 Items
CollectionBorn in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 contains more than 2,300 first-person accounts of slavery and 500 black-and-white photographs of former slaves. These narratives were collected in the...
- Contributor: Federal Writers' Project - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 603 Items
CollectionBy Popular Demand: Jackie Robinson and Other Baseball Highlights, 1860s-1960s 2007 marks the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's rookie season for the Brooklyn Dodgers. When he stepped onto Ebbets field on April 15th, 1947, Robinson became the first African American in the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 71 Items
CollectionCivil Rights History Project On May 12, 2009, the U. S. Congress authorized a national initiative by passing The Civil Rights History Project Act of 2009 (Public Law 111-19). The law directs the Library of Congress...
- Contributor: Abernathy, Donzaleigh - Abernathy, Juandalynn R. - Abernathy, Ralph David - Ackerman, David M. - Ackerman, Satoko Ito - Adams-Johnson, Frankye - Anderson, Fletcher - Anderson, Cynthia Baker - Anderson, William G. - Arellanes, Gloria ... Abernathy, Donzaleigh - Abernathy, Juandalynn R. - Abernathy, Ralph David - Ackerman, David M. - Ackerman, Satoko Ito - Adams-Johnson, Frankye - Anderson, Fletcher - Anderson, Cynthia Baker - Anderson, William G. - Arellanes, Gloria - Avery, Annie Pearl - Bailey, D'army - Bassett, Emmett W. - Bassett, Priscilla - Bates, Scott - Becton, Julius W. (Julius Wesley) - Bennett, Geraldine Crawford - Blake, Harry - Bond, Julian - Booker, Simeon - Branch, Raylawni G. - Breaux, Toni - Broadway, Louise W. - Brown, Amos C. (Amos Cleophilus) - Brown, Harold K. - Brown, Robert J. - Browner, Clifford - Bruce, Walter - Burns, Julia Matilda - Burras, Carol Cummings - Caldwell, Ben R. - Camarillo, Mateo - Carawan, Candie - Carawan, Guy - Carlos, John - Carter, Robert L. - Churchville, John Elliott - Clark, Robert George - Cleaver, Kathleen - Collins, Barbara Maria - Connor, Peggy Jean - Conway, Purcell Maurice - Cotton, Dorothy F. - Cox, Courtland - Crosby, David L. - Crosby, Patricia A. - Dahmer, Ellie J. - Dahmer, Vernon - Derby, Doris Adelaide - Diamond, Dion T. - Dixon, Aaron Floyd - Dixon, Elmer - Dove, Samuel - Dudley, John F. - Duncan, Gwendolyn Annette - Finney, Ernest A., (Ernest Adolphus) - Fuller, Linda - Funchess, Glenda - Gaither, Thomas Walter - Geiger, Jack - George, Virginia Simms - Glascoe, Myrtle Gonza - Greenberg, Jack - Greene, Freddie - Grinnell, Gloria Claudette - Guster, Leesco - Guyot, Lawrence - Hamilton, Audrey Nell - Hayling, Robert Bagner - Head, Rosie M. - Henderson, Juadine - Hicks, Charles Ray - Hicks, Darryl Robertson - Hicks, Gregory Vincent - Hicks, Robert Lawrence - Hicks, Valeria Payton - Hildreth, Marilyn Luper - Hill, Oliver W. - Holloway, Eddie A. - Holloway, Emma Kate - Holloway, Lucius - Hopkins, Evans D. - Howard, Elbert - Howell, Embry - Howell, Joseph T. - Hrabowski, Freeman A. - Huggins, Ericka - Hutchings, Phil - Jackson, Gertrude Newsome - Jarmon, Charles - Jenkins, Mary F. - Jenkins, Timothy Lionel - Jenkins, Willie Elliot - Jones, Clarence - Jones, James Oscar - Jones, Jamila - Jones, Mary A. - Jones, Nathaniel Hawthorne - King, Lonnie C. - Ladner, Dorie - Ladner, Joyce A. - Lawrence, William M. - Lawson, Jennifer - Leventhal, Willy S. (Willy Siegel) - Long, Worth W. - Lowery, Joseph E. - Lucy, William - Luper, Calvin - Magee, Clarence - Mahone, Sam - Marshall, Cecilia - McCarty, Michael D. - McClary, Robert - McCullar, Johnnie Ruth - McDew, Charles - McKinney, Samuel Berry - McLaurin, Charles - McNichols, Steven - Miller, Carolyn - Miller, Grace H. - Miller, James E. - Moldovan, Alfred - Moore, E. Maynard - Montes, Carlos - Mtume, Norma - Mulholland, Joan Trumpauer - Newson, Moses J. - Noonan, Martha P. - Parker, Wheeler - Patton, Gwendolyn M. - Perry, Matthew J. (Matthew James) - Richardson, Gloria - Richardson, Judy - Robinson, Betty Garman - Robinson, Reginald - Rosenberg, Jean Voelker - Rosenberg, John M. - Roxborough, Mildred Bond - Russell, Bill - Sales, Ruby - Saunders, William - Seeger, Pete - Sellers, Cleveland - Sherrod, Charles - Sherrod, Shirley - Siler, Charles E. - Simmons, Gwendolyn Zoharah - Simpson, Euvester - Smith, Jeanette - Sobol, Anne Buxton - Sobol, Richard - Stewart, Eleanor - Strickland, William - Suggs, Frances L - Suggs, Harold - Terry, Esther M. A. - Thelwell, Michael - Tillow, Kay - Tillow, Walter M. - Todd, Lisa Anderson - Tuttle, Rick - Ulmer, Joeann Anderson - Varela, Maria - Vickers, Barbara Edna - Vivian, C. T. - Walker, Wyatt Tee - Walter, Mildred Pitts - Williams, Cecil J. - Williams, Junius W. - Wright, Simeon - Young, Carrie Lamar - Young, Sam - Zapata, Luis - Zellner, Dorothy - Bishop, John Melville - Branch, Taylor - Cline, David P. - Crosby, Emilye - Dittmer, John - Griffin, Willie James - Jeffries, Hasan Kwame - Mosnier, Joseph - Paysour, Lafleur - Reece, Dwandalyn R. - Sullivan, Patricia - Taylor, Kieran Walsh - Civil Rights History Project (U.S.) - National Museum of African American History and Culture (U.S.) - Library of Congress - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Southern Oral History Program
- Date: 2010
Collection Items: View 144 Items
CollectionFrederick Douglass Papers at the Library of Congress The Frederick Douglass Papers at the Library of Congress presents the papers of the nineteenth-century African American abolitionist who escaped from slavery and then risked his freedom by becoming an outspoken antislavery...
- Contributor: Douglass, Frederick - Douglass, Helen
Collection Items: View 1,013 Items
CollectionGladstone Collection of African American Photographs The William A. Gladstone Collection of African American Photographs provides almost 350 images showing African Americans and related military and social history. The Civil War era is the primary time period covered,...
- Contributor: Gladstone, William A. - Ball, James Presley - Moore, Henry P. - Paxson, Chas. (Charles) - Kimball, M. H. - M'clees, Jas. E. (James E.) - Kellogg Brothers - McPherson & Oliver
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 329 Items
CollectionMaps of Liberia, 1830-1870 This collection of Liberia maps includes twenty examples from the American Colonization Society (ACS), organized in 1817 to resettle free black Americans in West Africa. These maps show early settlements in Liberia,...
- Contributor: American Colonization Society - Library of Congress. Geography and Map Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 30 Items
CollectionNow What a Time: Blues, Gospel, and the Fort Valley Music Festivals, 1938-1943 Consists of approximately one hundred sound recordings, primarily blues and gospel songs, and related documentation from the folk festival at Fort Valley State College (now Fort Valley State University), Fort Valley, Georgia....
- Contributor: Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Bond, Edward - Bond, James - Chastain, Will - Chestain, Sonny - Ellis, Charles - Ezell, Buster - Ford, Osa - Ford, T. J. - Gaines, Elwood ... Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Bond, Edward - Bond, James - Chastain, Will - Chestain, Sonny - Ellis, Charles - Ezell, Buster - Ford, Osa - Ford, T. J. - Gaines, Elwood - Gibson, Gus - Gregory, Richard - Jackson, Deacon Sam - Johnson, Warren G. - Mathis, Allison - Monch, Matthew - Parker, Cleve - Richardson, Zema - Stripling, Sidney - Thomas, John Lee - Turner, Alma - Turner, Monroe - Turner, Oscar - Winrow, Anthony - Holloway High School Quartet - Heavenly Gate Quartet - Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Peach County, Ga.). Choir - Smith Band (Musical Group) - Spiritual Four Quartet - Traveller Home Singers - Fisk University - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 182 Items
CollectionRosa Parks Papers The papers of Rosa Parks (1913-2005) span the years 1866-2006, with the bulk of the material dating from 1955 to 2000. The collection, which contains approximately 7,500 items in the Manuscript Division,...
- Contributor: Parks, Rosa - Williams, Aubrey Willis
Collection Items: View 2,457 Items
CollectionSlaves and the Courts, 1740-1860 This collection consists of 105 library books and manuscripts, totalling approximately 8,700 pages drawn principally from the Law Library and the Rare Book and Special Collections Division of the Library of Congress,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Law Library - Library of Congress. Rare Book and Special Collections Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2002
Collection Items: View 109 Items
CollectionVoices Remembering Slavery: Freed People Tell Their Stories The recordings of former slaves in Voices Remembering Slavery: Freed People Tell Their Stories took place between 1932 and 1975 in nine states. Twenty-three interviewees discuss how they felt about slavery, slaveholders,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2004
Collection Items: View 69 Items
CollectionWilliam A. Gladstone Afro-American Military Collection The William A. Gladstone Afro-American Military Collection (ca. 500 items) spans the years 1773 to 1987, with the bulk of the material dating from the Civil War period, 1861-1865. The collection consists...
- Contributor: Gladstone, William A.
Collection Items: View 332 Items
CollectionZora Neale Hurston Plays at the Library of Congress This collection present ten plays written by Hurston (1891-1960), author, anthropologist, and folklorist. Deposited as unpublished typescripts in the United States Copyright Office between 1925 and 1944, most of the plays remained...
- Contributor: Hurston, Zora Neale
Collection Items: View 21 Items