CollectionAbraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress Correspondence and other papers relating primarily to Abraham Lincoln's presidency and the Civil War. Includes two drafts of the Gettysburg address, material preserved by John G. Nicolay in his capacities as Lincoln's...
- Contributor: Lincoln, Abraham
Collection Items: View 20,195 Items
CollectionAlexander Graham Bell Family Papers at the Library of Congress Correspondence, diaries, journals, laboratory notebooks, patent records, speeches, writings, subject files, genealogical records, printed material, and other papers pertaining primarily to Bell's invention of the telephone (1876). Also includes material documenting his...
- Contributor: Fairchild, Marian - Bell, Mabel Gardiner Hubbard - Bell, Alexander Graham - Hubbard, Gardiner G. (Gardiner Greene) - Bell, Alexander Melville
Collection Items: View 4,715 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Papers Correspondence, speeches, writings, legal and financial records, printed matter, and other papers relating to Hamilton's personal life and public career, especially his service as an aide to George Washington during the Revolutionary...
- Contributor: First Church in Albany - Hamilton, Alexander
Collection Items: View 882 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Stephens Papers Correspondence, memoranda, telegrams, journal, autobiography, legal documents, clippings, and other papers reflecting Stephens's career in government and politics. Chiefly correspondence concerning national and sectional questions as well as local affairs, philanthropy, and...
- Contributor: Stephens, Alexander H. (Alexander Hamilton)
Collection Items: View 124 Items
CollectionThe Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana Works by and about Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) and his era; includes published and unpublished material on contemporary figures, slavery, the Civil War, and Reconstruction; the bronze casts of Lincoln's head and hands...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana (Library of Congress) - Stern, Alfred Whital
- Date: 1824
Collection Items: View 1,539 Items
CollectionAmerica Singing: Nineteenth-Century Song Sheets Collection of 4,291 song sheets for popular music from the Rare Book and Special Collections Division of the Library of Congress. Consisting of lyrics produced between the turn of the nineteenth century...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Rare Book and Special Collections Division
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 4,293 Items
CollectionAmerican Civil War Sesquicentennial Web Archive The American Civil War Sesquicentennial Web Archive is a collection of websites presenting various projects and events in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War. This anniversary is historically...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Researcher and Reference Services Division - Library of Congress
- Date: 2011
Collection Items: View 197 Items
CollectionAmerican Colony in Jerusalem, 1870-2006 Correspondence, diaries, minutes, notes, hymns, financial and legal records, scrapbooks, printed matter, photographs, photograph albums, and other papers relating to the history of the American Colony and its members, particularly the Spafford,...
- Contributor: Spafford, Anna T. - Spafford, Horatio Gates - American Colony (Jerusalem) - Vester, Bertha Spafford
Collection Items: View 110 Items
CollectionAmerican Federation of Labor Records Letterpress books containing correspondence of Samuel Gompers, and William Green, presidents of the American Federation of Labor (AFL), and other officials including James Duncan, Gabriel Edmonston, Frank K. Foster, and John McBride....
- Contributor: American Federation of Labor
Collection Items: View 359 Items
CollectionAmerican Notes: Travels in America, 1750-1920 "American Notes: Travels in America, 1750-1920 comprises 253 published narratives by Americans and foreign visitors recounting their travels in the colonies and the United States and their observations and opinions about American...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2003
Collection Items: View 255 Items
CollectionAndrew Jackson Papers Correspondence, memoranda, journals, speeches, military papers, land deeds, scrapbook, printed matter, and other papers reflecting most phases of Jackson's military and political career. Subjects include his law practice in Tennessee, his service...
- Contributor: Jackson, Andrew
Collection Items: View 17,171 Items
CollectionAndrew Johnson Papers Correspondence, memoranda, diaries, messages and speeches, courts-martial and amnesty records, financial records, lists, newspaper clippings, printed matter, scrapbooks, photographs, and other papers relating chiefly to Johnson's presidency. Subjects include the Civil War,...
- Contributor: Johnson, Andrew - Moore, William G. (William George)
Collection Items: View 98 Items
CollectionAnna E. Dickinson Papers Correspondence, speeches, writings, plays, legal files, financial papers, newspaper clippings, itineraries, scrapbooks, obituaries, printed material, and other papers relating to Dickinson's activities on behalf of abolition, women's rights, and suffrage and to...
- Contributor: Dickinson, Anna E. (Anna Elizabeth)
Collection Items: View 404 Items
CollectionAnna Maria Brodeau Thornton Papers Seven bound volumes containing diaries, journals, essays, log of household visitors, daily log of activities, household accounts, silhouettes of unidentified people, and other papers primarily describing social life in Washington, D.C., with...
- Contributor: Thornton, Anna Maria Brodeau
Collection Items: View 12 Items
CollectionAnsel Adams's Photographs of Japanese-American Internment at Manzanar Photographs document the lives of Japanese Americans interned during World War II at the Manzanar Relocation Center, in Inyo County, California. There are numerous close-up and occupational portraits of individuals, including Roy...
- Contributor: Adams, Ansel
- Date: 1943
Collection Items: View 258 Items
CollectionAssociated Press News Dispatches, 1915-1930 Collection of news dispatches from the Washington D.C. Bureau of the Associated Press spanning 15 years and containing an unbroken chronology of world and national events as reported by the news agency.
- Contributor: Associated Press. Washington Bureau
Collection Items: View 380 Items
CollectionBain Collection The photographs document local, national, and international news events with a special emphasis on people and events in New York City. The range of subjects includes: celebrities, parades, sports events, immigration, political...
- Contributor: Bain, George Grantham - Bain News Service
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 41,443 Items
CollectionBefore and After the Great Earthquake and Fire: Early Films of San Francisco, 1897-1916 Site offers a perspective on the effects the San Francisco earthquake and subsequent fires of 1906 had on the development of the city. Seventeen films shot before the devastating events and seven...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 34 Items
CollectionBenjamin Franklin Papers Correspondence, journals, records, articles, and other material relating to Franklin's life and career. Includes manuscript (1728) of his Articles of Belief and Acts of Religion; negotations in London (1775); letterbooks (1779-1782) of...
- Contributor: United States. Legation (France) - Franklin, Benjamin - Oswald, Richard - Franklin, William Temple
Collection Items: View 36 Items
CollectionBetty Herndon Maury Maury Papers Diary (1861 June 3-1863 February 18) written chiefly at Fredericksburg, Va., containing detailed comments on the progress of the Civil War, especially in the local area, hardships suffered by Confederate soldiers, and...
- Contributor: Maury, Betty Herndon Maury
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 7 Items
CollectionBlackwell Family Papers Correspondence, diaries (1872-1937), translations of poetry and correspondence with Armenian, Russian, and Spanish poets, and other papers of Alice Stone Blackwell, editor of the Woman's Journal (1909-1917), reflecting her literary endeavors and...
- Contributor: Blackwell, Henry Browne - Blackwell, Elizabeth - Blackwell, Kitty Barry - Stone, Lucy - Blackwell, Alice Stone - Blackwell, Antoinette Louisa Brown - Blackwell, Emily
Collection Items: View 2,313 Items
CollectionBrady-Handy Collection The majority of the Brady-Handy negatives are Civil War and post-Civil War portraits, with a small collection of Washington views. Included are Presidents of the United States, their wives, members of Congress,...
- Contributor: Handy, Levin C. (Levin Corbin) - Brady, Mathew
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 5,005 Items
CollectionBranch Rickey Papers Correspondence, family papers, speeches and writings, memoranda, scouting and other reports, notes, subject files, scrapbooks, and other papers documenting Rickey's career as a major league baseball manager and executive. Also documents his...
- Contributor: Rickey, Branch
Collection Items: View 37 Items
CollectionCarrie Chapman Catt Papers Correspondence, diaries, drafts of speeches and articles, subject files, biographical papers, newspaper clippings, printed material, and other papers relating primarily to Catt's efforts on behalf of the women's suffrage movement, feminism, and...
- Contributor: Catt, Carrie Chapman
Collection Items: View 573 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings Contains original drawings and illustrations for political, editorial, and humorous cartoons published by international cartoonists in chiefly American newspapers, magazines, and books. Focus is on politics and government, international relations, with emphasis...
- Contributor: Bartholomew, Charles Lewis - Mauldin, Bill - Johnson, Herbert - Frueh, Alfred Joseph - Berryman, Clifford Kennedy - Cesare, Oscar Edward - Kirby, Rollin - Crockett, Gib - Covarrubias, Miguel - Mahony, Felix - Conacher, John C. - Muḥaṣṣiṣ, Ardashīr - Kelly, Walt - Harrington, Oliver W. (Oliver Wendell)
- Date: 1794
Collection Items: View 5,877 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Herblock Collection The archive features more than 14,000 original cartoon drawings from the first to the last years of Herbert Block's career as a pre-eminent editorial voice in American newspapers. The archive also has...
- Contributor: Block, Herbert
- Date: 1930
Collection Items: View 9,116 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Swann Collection of Caricature and Cartoon Political prints and drawings, satires, caricatures, cartoon strips and panels, and periodical illustrations by more than 500 artists, most of whom are American. Includes images that reflect political and economic conditions, social...
- Contributor: Caroline and Erwin Swann Collection (Library of Congress) - Swann, Erwin
- Date: 1780
Collection Items: View 774 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, American Political cartoons and caricatures that cover a wide range of topics from pre-revolutionary America through the presidency of Chester A. Arthur. The predominate theme is the growth and development of the political...
- Contributor: Baillie, James S. - Maurer, Louis - Magee, John L. - Bucholzer, H. - Currier & Ives - Currier, Nathaniel - Childs, John - Clay, Edward Williams - Robinson, Henry R.
- Date: 1766
Collection Items: View 819 Items
CollectionA Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation: U.S. Congressional Documents and Debates 1774-1875 Consists of a linked set of published congressional records of the United States of America from the Continental Congress through the 43rd Congress, 1774-1875. It includes the Journals of the Continental Congress...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Law Library of Congress (U.S.)
- Date: 1998
CollectionCharles S. Hamlin Papers Correspondence, diaries, speeches, writings, biographical notes, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, printed matter, and other papers relating chiefly to Hamlin's service in the U.S. Dept. of the Treasury and the Federal Reserve System; Hamlin's...
- Contributor: Hamlin, Anna - Robles, Sebastian T. (Sebastian Tomas) - Hamlin, Huybertie Pruyn - Hamlin, Charles S. (Charles Sumner)
Collection Items: View 203 Items
CollectionChester Alan Arthur Papers Correspondence, financial papers, scrapbooks, clippings, and other papers relating to Arthur's presidency, his service as collector of customs for the Port of New York, and the New York Republican State Committee. Correspondents...
- Contributor: Arthur, Chester Alan
Collection Items: View 103 Items
CollectionClara Barton Papers Correspondence, diaries and journals, reports, addresses, legal and financial papers, organizational records, lectures, writings, scrapbooks, biographical material, printed matter, memorabilia, and other papers relating to Barton's work to provide relief services during...
- Contributor: Barton, Clara
Collection Items: View 939 Items
CollectionCurtis (Edward S.) Collection The collection includes a large number of individual or group portraits, as well as traditional and ceremonial dress, dwellings and other structures, agriculture, arts and crafts, rites and ceremonies, dances, games, food...
- Contributor: Curtis, Edward S.
- Date: 1899
Collection Items: View 1,074 Items
CollectionDaguerreotypes The majority of the daguerreotypes are portraits by American photographers, including many by Mathew Brady's studio and the first American daguerreotype, made by Robert Cornelius. The collection also includes some early architectural...
- Contributor: Washington, Augustus - Cornelius, Robert - Anson, Rufus - Brady, Mathew
- Date: 1839
Collection Items: View 851 Items
CollectionDetroit Publishing Company Collection features photographs sold as prints or postcards depicting points of interest in the United States (chiefly east of the Mississippi River), Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean area. Includes views of main...
- Contributor: Jackson, William Henry - Hart, Edward H. - Detroit Publishing Co. - Johnston, J. S. (John S.) - Byron (Firm : New York, N.Y.) - Glover. L. S. (Lycurgus S.) - Peabody, Henry G. (Henry Greenwood)
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 25,172 Items
CollectionDocuments from the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention, 1774-1789 Contains broadsides and other documents pertaining to the work of the Continental Congress during the Revolutionary War and Confederation period. Items include acts, resolutions, committee reports, treaties, and proclamations. Many of the...
- Contributor: Continental Congress Broadside Collection (Library of Congress) - United States. Continental Congress
- Date: 1774
Collection Items: View 325 Items