CollectionArchitecture, Design & Engineering Drawings Design drawings. This assemblage of 50,000 design drawings documents architectural and engineering projects throughout the world, but chiefly in the United States. Well known architects and engineers include Benjamin Henry Latrobe, Charles...
- Date: 1750
Collection Items: View 1,867 Items
CollectionBrumfield Collection The photographs document the architecture of pre-Soviet Russia. Most of the structures are churches, cathedrals, and monasteries, often shown in multiple views. Structures are located in both large cities and small towns...
- Contributor: Brumfield, William Craft
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 1,139 Items
CollectionCabinet of American Illustration Drawings and other graphic representations by American illustrators for magazines, novels, children's books, and advertisements. Includes literary and editorial cartoons and illustrations, and poster sketches. Images reflect political, social, and economic conditions,...
- Contributor: Rogers, W. A. (William Allen) - Frost, A. (Arthur Burdett) - Elliott, Elizabeth Shippen Green - Fogarty, Thomas - Herford, Oliver - Steele, Frederic Dorr - Beard, Daniel Carter - Wright, George Hand - Yohn, F. C. (Frederick Coffay) - Smedley, W. T. (William Thomas)
- Date: 1830
Collection Items: View 3,931 Items
CollectionCarnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South A systematic visual record of the early buildings and gardens of nine southern states: Virginia (ca. 600 sites), North Carolina (ca. 300 sites), Georgia (ca. 250 sites), Louisiana (ca. 170 sites), Alabama...
- Contributor: Carnegie Corporation of New York - Johnston, Frances Benjamin
- Date: 1864
Collection Items: View 6,965 Items
CollectionCase Books Includes books and serials (bound volumes) that contain original visual materials such as engravings, woodcuts, lithographs, fine photogravures, and photographic prints. The illustrations are often the featured aspect of the work. Subject...
- Date: 1550
Collection Items: View 68 Items
CollectionCollege Women's Association of Japan Print Show Collection Prints showing a variety of subjects and abstract designs from the College Women's Association of Japan 50th anniversary print show at theTokyo American Club, Tokyo, Japan, October 21-23, 2005.
- Contributor: College Women's Association of Japan
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 214 Items
CollectionComics Literature and Criticism Web Archive This collection includes various forms of comics literature and criticism, such as blogs and other online publication platforms, to preserve contemporary discussion regarding this format/genre/subject in its various forms (comic books, comic...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Library of Congress. Serial & Government Publications Division
- Date: 2018
Collection Items: View 33 Items
CollectionDaguerreotypes The majority of the daguerreotypes are portraits by American photographers, including many by Mathew Brady's studio and the first American daguerreotype, made by Robert Cornelius. The collection also includes some early architectural...
- Contributor: Washington, Augustus - Cornelius, Robert - Anson, Rufus - Brady, Mathew
- Date: 1839
Collection Items: View 851 Items
CollectionDetroit Publishing Company Collection features photographs sold as prints or postcards depicting points of interest in the United States (chiefly east of the Mississippi River), Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean area. Includes views of main...
- Contributor: Jackson, William Henry - Hart, Edward H. - Detroit Publishing Co. - Johnston, J. S. (John S.) - Byron (Firm : New York, N.Y.) - Glover. L. S. (Lycurgus S.) - Peabody, Henry G. (Henry Greenwood)
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 25,172 Items
CollectionDrawings (Documentary) This assemblage of documentary drawings features many eye-witness sketches made during the U.S. Civil War. Also included are topographical views, bank note vignettes, portraits, and courtroom sketches. A large group of Russian...
- Date: 1750
Collection Items: View 2,805 Items
CollectionFederal Theatre Project, 1935 to 1939 Photographs made by writer-photographer William P. Gottlieb, from 1938 to 1948, often on assignment for the Washington Post, Down Beat magazine, and Record Changer. Images document jazz musicians and venues, primarily in...
- Contributor: Gottlieb, William P.
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 6,586 Items
CollectionFine Prints: Japanese, pre-1915 Prints filed under JPD represent the Ukiyo-e style. Depicted are famous actors portraying noted samuri or in the role of warriors during theatrical productions. Mythical or legendary characters, courtesans and the daily...
- Contributor: Utagawa, Yoshitora - Utagawa, Yoshitoyo - Utagawa, Yoshikazu - Utagawa, Kuniteru - Andō, Hiroshige - Ikkei - Utagawa, Hiroshige - Ochiai, Yoshiiku - Utagawa, Sadahide
- Date: 1615
Collection Items: View 2,661 Items
CollectionFrederick Law Olmsted Papers Correspondence, letterbooks, journals, drafts of articles and books, speeches and lectures, biographical and genealogical data, business papers, legal and financial papers, scrapbooks, printed material, maps, drawings, and other papers encompassing Olmsted's career...
- Contributor: Olmsted, Gideon - Olmsted, John - Olmsted, Frederick Law
Collection Items: View 741 Items
CollectionGoldstein Foundation Collection--Prints and Drawings The collection represents the legacy of realist artists Robert Henri, John Sloan, and Thomas Hart Benton, under whom many of the artists in the exhibition studied and who stood as advocates of...
- Date: 1800
Collection Items: View 159 Items
CollectionGottscho-Schleisner Collection Architectural photographs, often made on commission for architects, designers, and commercial businesses, record important design achievements. Interiors and exteriors of homes, stores, offices, factories, historic buildings, and other structures, primarily in the...
- Contributor: Gottscho-Schleisner, Inc - Gottscho, Samuel H. (Samuel Herman) - Schleisner, William H. (William Herman)
- Date: 1896
Collection Items: View 29,010 Items
CollectionHighsmith (Carol M.) Archive The archive consists primarily of photographs documenting buildings, urban renewal efforts, and historic preservation. Many of the photographs document the Washington, D.C. area, Alabama, California, and Connecticut. Projects for the General Services...
- Contributor: Highsmith, Carol M.
Collection Items: View 56,071 Items
CollectionHistoric American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey Overview of the HABS/HAER/HALS collections, which document achievements in architecture, engineering, and landscape design from the 17th-20th centuries in the United States and its territories through measured drawings, photographs, and written historical...
- Contributor: Historic American Buildings Survey
- Date: 1933
Collection Items: View 44,390 Items
CollectionHorydczak Collection Images documenting the architecture and social life of Washington, D.C., primarily from ca. 1920 to ca. 1950. Exteriors and interiors of commercial, residential, and government buildings, including the U.S. Capitol, Library of...
- Contributor: Horydczak, Theodor
- Date: 1915
Collection Items: View 14,324 Items
CollectionJohnston (Frances Benjamin) Collection Primarily photographs by Johnston, including portraits of prominent Americans, foreign dignitaries, and members of Washington, D.C., social and political circles. Photojournalistic coverage of American politics & government, industry, social conditions, and events,...
- Contributor: Johnston, Frances Benjamin
- Date: 1864
Collection Items: View 3,125 Items
CollectionKorab Collection Balthazar Korab selected more than 800 photographs to document 19 projects designed by renowned architect Eero Saarinen (1910-1961). Included are corporate headquarters, airports, university facilities, embassies, private residences, churches, a museum, and...
- Contributor: Korab, Balthazar
- Date: 1937
Collection Items: View 769 Items
CollectionLamb Studios Archive The Lamb Studios Archive features nearly 2,900 design sketches for stained glass windows, murals, mosaics, furnishings, metalwork, and interior architecture. The drawings are striking watercolors created from the 1860s to the 1990s,...
- Contributor: J. & R. Lamb Studios
- Date: 1869
Collection Items: View 2,456 Items
CollectionLawrence & Houseworth Collection Half-stereograph prints show sites in Northern California with emphasis on San Francisco and areas of the Sierra Nevada. Also views of Carson City and Virginia City in Western Nevada. Subjects include placer...
- Contributor: Lawrence & Houseworth
- Date: 1862
Collection Items: View 910 Items
CollectionManuscript Division Web Archive The Manuscript Division Archive of Organizational Web Sites includes principally Web sites of organizations with whom the division has an existing relationship. Although diverse in content, they fall into several broad categories....
- Contributor: National Council of Jewish Women - American Studies Association - Sigmund Freud Copyrights (Firm) - Society of Woman Geographers - Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund - Sigmund Freud Archives - Library of Congress - Ameen Rihani Organization - Sigmund Freud Museum (Vienna, Austria) - National Consumers' League ... National Council of Jewish Women - American Studies Association - Sigmund Freud Copyrights (Firm) - Society of Woman Geographers - Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund - Sigmund Freud Archives - Library of Congress - Ameen Rihani Organization - Sigmund Freud Museum (Vienna, Austria) - National Consumers' League - Phi Beta Kappa - Center for International Private Enterprise - Dr. Frederick A. Cook Society - National Democratic Institute for International Affairs - Macdowell Colony (Peterborough, N.H.) - League of Women Voters (U.S.) - American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics - Historical Society of the District of Columbia Circuit - Navy League of the United States - American Council of Learned Societies - Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training - National Coalition for History - Solidarity Center (Afl-Cio) - National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (U.S.) - National Endowment for Democracy (U.S.) - Civil Rights Coalition for the 21st Century - American Historical Association - American Society of Landscape Architects - National Urban League - Freud Museum (London, England) - Streit Council for a Union of Democracies
- Date: 2008
Collection Items: View 38 Items
CollectionNational Child Labor Committee Collection Photographs focusing on children, showing workers, working and living conditions, and educational settings in the United States between 1908 and 1924. Images depict working conditions in agriculture, home labor, street trades, and...
- Contributor: Hine, Lewis Wickes - National Child Labor Committee (U.S.)
- Date: 1908
Collection Items: View 5,079 Items
CollectionNational Photo Company Collection The National Photo Company Collection documents virtually all aspects of Washington, D.C., life, including inaugurations, sports, landmarks, conventions, and topics of local interest. During the administrations of Presidents Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, and...
- Contributor: National Photo Company
- Date: 1909
Collection Items: View 35,618 Items
CollectionOlmsted Associates Records Correspondence, memoranda, letterbooks, journals, reports, plans and specifications, blueprints, diagrams, nursery orders, deeds, contractual arrangements, financial records, personnel records, scrapbooks of newspaper clippings, and other records constituting the business files of the...
- Contributor: Olmsted, Olmsted, and Eliot - Olmsted Associates - F.L. Olmsted and Company - Frederick Law Olmsted (Firm) - F.L. And J.C. Olmsted (Firm) - Olmsted Brothers - Olmsted, John Charles - Olmsted, Frederick Law
Collection Items: View 6,688 Items
CollectionOrigins of American Animation "The development of early American animation is represented by this collection of 21 animated films and 2 fragments, which spans the years 1900 to 1921. The films include clay, puppet, and cut-out...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 29 Items
CollectionPH Filing Series Photographs This filing series contains many of the Library's photographic prints that have special aesthetic, technical, or historic importance. All photographic portfolios are also part of this series. A primary interest in the...
- Date: 1850
Collection Items: View 1,271 Items
CollectionPhotochrom Prints Photochrom prints show late 19th and early 20th century travel views of Europe and the Middle East, primarily of Eastern and Central European destinations (including the former Austro-Hungarian Empire). Includes cities and...
- Contributor: Detroit Publishing Co. - Photoglob Co.
- Date: 1890
Collection Items: View 7,514 Items
CollectionPopular Graphic Arts Collection includes prints showing a wide variety of popular subjects, from city and harbor views, street scenes, and manufacturing plants to genre scenes, historical events, portraits, and advertisements. These examples of the...
- Date: 1700
Collection Items: View 18,824 Items
CollectionPosters: WPA Posters Includes almost half of the posters created by the United States Works Progress Administration, later Work Projects Administration (WPA). Many posters publicize the Depression-era activities of WPA branches such as the Federal...
- Date: 1936
Collection Items: View 933 Items