CollectionAlan Lomax Collection Collection comprises manuscripts, sound recordings, photographs, film, and videorecordings created and collected by Alan Lomax in his work documenting song, music, dance, and body movement from many cultures. Includes field recordings and...
- Contributor: Association for Cultural Equity - Archive of American Folk Song - Lomax, Alan - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1933
Collection Items: View 6,605 Items
CollectionAlan Lomax Collection of Michigan and Wisconsin Recordings Collection of field recordings with related color film documenting instrumental music, songs, stories, and interviews recorded primarily in Michigan and Wisconsin by Alan Lomax, August 1-November 1, 1938 for the Archive of...
- Contributor: Pope, Allan C. - Fredrickson, John - Vizina, Adelore - Delmas, Adolphus - Carrière, Fred - Hulan - Guzal, Frank - Dragić, Todor - Marttila - Leclaire, Leilia ... Pope, Allan C. - Fredrickson, John - Vizina, Adelore - Delmas, Adolphus - Carrière, Fred - Hulan - Guzal, Frank - Dragić, Todor - Marttila - Leclaire, Leilia - Scheffer, Peter - Baratono, Art - Styes, Archie - Maté - Larson, John - Frazier, Clara - Marinetti, John - Norman, John - Szabo, Andy - Strzelecki, Tony - Bellaire, Exilia - Allen, Perry - Kallio, Kalle - Miron, Joe - Pischner, Helen - Cadeau, Ed - Korvenpaa, Charles - McCauley, Edward - Thrasher, Ed - Bonner, Patrick - Niewiadomska, Frances - Marczis, Joseph - Szilagyi, Dizso - Frazier, Calvin - Similä, Gusti - Erickson, Max - Gallagher, Dominic - Frazier, Lonnie - Velin, Maria - Floriani, Margaret - Cadeau, John - Floriani, Veko - McBride, Bill - Nemeth, Kalman - King, Edward - Berky, Nandor - Härkönen, Amanda - Pohjala, Aina - Tomić, Pajo - Olah, Julius - Kania, Felix - Lomax, Alan - Green, John W. - Happy Jack Woodward - Frazier, Belle - Maki, Frank - Lathrop, Carl - Bellaire, Mose - Frazier, Viola - Bangac, Petar - Vujanović, Stjepan - Wells, Lester - Dobričan, Lazar - Larson, Nils - Aho, Pekka - Ricksgers, Joseph - Maki, Emil - Romel, Adolph - Romel, Ted - Pol, Thomas - Sielvankiewiez - Gaza, V. Sipoo - Wallen, Mr. - O'Donnell, Mike J. - Kruczynski, Clara - Cadeau, Mathilda - Preda, Emil Milan - Bonner, Daniel - Archive of American Folk Song - Romel, Leo - Rajčević, Stepan - Hirvelä, Wäin - Ketvirtis, Charles - Marinetti, Victor - Mahoski, Henry - Jackson, Andrew - Juhani, Aapo - Halinen, Selma Elona - McCarthy, Barney - Basrak, Stjepan - Fredrickson, Kaisa - Romel - McDonough, Patrick - Pittman, Sampson - Graham, Bert - Meyers, Herman - Lewandowski, Stephanie - Trivanović, Stefan - Cloud, Joe - Warslzyk, Tony - Rautanen, Vernon - Kubesh, John G. - Gallagher, Andrew E. - Lewandowski, Stephan - Romel, Sylvester - Krawezak - Larson, Steen - Grbić, Ludevit - Viita, Frank - Palmer, Mason - Forster, Yalmer Eino - Cloud, Clarence - Vasvary, Steve - Sainović, Ilija - Gallagher, Emerald - Lewandowski, Edwina - Carrière, Dolphis - McCormick, Ed - Kubien, Rose - Lewandowski, Ted - Floriani, Vladimir - Aho, Lillian - Hyvönen, John - Trueblood, Asel - Rudzinski, Alex - Brideup, Louis
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 444 Items
CollectionAmerican Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1940 Series A. includes correspondence, memoranda, speeches, essays, scripts, plays, oral testimony in the form of life histories, folklore material, field reports, notes, transcripts of documents, inventories, lists, statements, instructions, surveys, critical appraisals,...
- Contributor: Writers' Program (U.S.) - Federal Writers' Project - United States. Works Progress Administration - United States. Work Projects Administration
Collection Items: View 2,847 Items
CollectionAmerican Notes: Travels in America, 1750-1920 "American Notes: Travels in America, 1750-1920 comprises 253 published narratives by Americans and foreign visitors recounting their travels in the colonies and the United States and their observations and opinions about American...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2003
Collection Items: View 255 Items
CollectionBefore and After the Great Earthquake and Fire: Early Films of San Francisco, 1897-1916 Site offers a perspective on the effects the San Francisco earthquake and subsequent fires of 1906 had on the development of the city. Seventeen films shot before the devastating events and seven...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 34 Items
CollectionBess Lomax Hawes Collection Papers and audiovisual materials relating to the career and personal life of folk arts administrator, folklorist, ethnomusicologist, filmmaker, musician, and teacher Bess Lomax Hawes, most from 1960-2001. Includes work produced by Hawes...
- Contributor: National Endowment for the Arts. Folk Arts Program - Hawes, Bess Lomax - Hawes, Butch
- Date: 1894
Collection Items: View 365 Items
CollectionBlue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project The collection consists of sound recordings, video recordings, photographs, manuscripts, sheet music, printed ephemera, artifacts, administrative records, and ethnographers' field notes related to the 1978 Blue Ridge Parkway Project field survey, conducted...
- Contributor: Richardson, Larry - Bryan, Mamie - Jarrell, Tommy - Severt, Carrie - Wolfe, Charles K. - Owen, Blanton - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - United States. National Park Service - Todd, Zenna - Marshall, Howard W. ... Richardson, Larry - Bryan, Mamie - Jarrell, Tommy - Severt, Carrie - Wolfe, Charles K. - Owen, Blanton - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - United States. National Park Service - Todd, Zenna - Marshall, Howard W. - Owen, Margaret Counts - Wilson, Joe - Shockley, Maggie - Jabbour, Alan - Choate, Donna - Eiler, Terry - Mullen, Patrick - Fleischhauer, Carl - American Folklife Center - Johnson, Geraldine Niva - Adler, Thomas A. - Patton, Ila - Ray, Roxie - Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project - Eiler, Lyntha Scott - Cruise, Crystal - Stanley, Lura
- Date: 1977
Collection Items: View 1,693 Items
CollectionBrazil Cordel Literature Web Archive Brazilian chapbooks, known as literatura de cordel, are typically sold at street fairs, where the pamphlets are hung by string (cordel in Portuguese). They are a grassroots form of communication whose purpose...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Hispanic Division - Library of Congress
- Date: 2011
Collection Items: View 26 Items
CollectionBuckaroos in Paradise: Ranching Culture in Northern Nevada, 1945-1982 Presents documentation of a Nevada cattle-ranching community created by the Paradise Valley Folklife Project, with a focus on the family-run Ninety-Six Ranch. Features motion pictures and sound recordings that document the work...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 2,441 Items
Collection Items: View 207 Items
CollectionCalifornia Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties Collected by Sidney Robertson Cowell The Work Project Administration (WPA) California Folk Music Project is a multi-format ethnographic field collection that includes sound recordings, still photographs, drawings, and written documents from a variety of European ethnic and...
- Contributor: Cowell, Sidney Robertson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1997
Collection Items: View 1,253 Items
CollectionCaptain Pearl R. Nye: Life on the Ohio and Erie Canal The collection is comprised of field recordings made by John A. Lomax in June 1937 and by Alan Lomax and Elizabeth Lomax in November, 1937 in Akron, Ohio, of songs performed by...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Nye, Pearl R. - Archive of American Folk Song - Lomax, Alan - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1937
Collection Items: View 140 Items
CollectionCarnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South A systematic visual record of the early buildings and gardens of nine southern states: Virginia (ca. 600 sites), North Carolina (ca. 300 sites), Georgia (ca. 250 sites), Louisiana (ca. 170 sites), Alabama...
- Contributor: Carnegie Corporation of New York - Johnston, Frances Benjamin
- Date: 1864
Collection Items: View 6,965 Items
CollectionChicago Ethnic Arts Project Collection The collection consists of sound recordings, photographs, manuscript materials, videorecordings, publications, ephemera, administrative files, and field notes produced and collected during the 1977 Chicago Ethnic Arts Project field survey from 1976-1981; but...
- Contributor: Swenson, Greta E. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Mathias, Elizabeth - George, Philip - Epstein, Shifra - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - González, José Gamaliel - Kalčik, Susan J. - Kubose, Minnie Somi ... Swenson, Greta E. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Mathias, Elizabeth - George, Philip - Epstein, Shifra - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - González, José Gamaliel - Kalčik, Susan J. - Kubose, Minnie Somi - Fleischhauer, Carl - Dovydenas, Jonas - Brzovich, Mato - Trbuhovic-Grasa, Gordana - Choi, Chungmoo - Bradunas, Elena - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - Bartis, Peter - Hellenberg, Antony - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan - March, Richard - American Folklife Center - Chicago Ethnic Arts Project - Libonati, Roland V. (Roland Victor) - Metcalfe, Ralph H. - Klymasz, Shirley - Lund, Jens - Illinois Arts Council
- Date: 1976
Collection Items: View 1,138 Items
CollectionColorado Folklife Project Collection Collection of field recordings, photographs, drawings, and field notes from a limited field survey or consultancy demonstrating folkloristic methodology and the particulars of research on local history, material culture, and vernacular architecture,...
- Contributor: Natanson, Barbara Orbach - American Folklife Center - Emrich, Ron - Dettmer, Elke - Marshall, Howard W. - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1980
Collection Items: View 130 Items
CollectionCurtis (Edward S.) Collection The collection includes a large number of individual or group portraits, as well as traditional and ceremonial dress, dwellings and other structures, agriculture, arts and crafts, rites and ceremonies, dances, games, food...
- Contributor: Curtis, Edward S.
- Date: 1899
Collection Items: View 1,074 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black-and-White Negatives A visual encyclopedia of rural and urban conditions and lifestyles in the U.S. and its territories, with some images of Canada and international events. The photographs in this government-sponsored project initially documented...
- Contributor: United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1935
Collection Items: View 170,905 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Color Photographs Documentary images of life and culture in the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Farm Security Administration images focus on rural areas, depicting farming, mining, forestry, migrant labor, children,...
- Contributor: Collins, Marjory - United States. Office of War Information - Jacobs, Fenno - Collier, John - Rosskam, Louise - Feininger, Andreas - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration ... Collins, Marjory - United States. Office of War Information - Jacobs, Fenno - Collier, John - Rosskam, Louise - Feininger, Andreas - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration - Lee, Russell - Vachon, John - Rous, John - Bransby, David - Siegel, Arthur S. - Rothstein, Arthur - Liberman, Howard - Delano, Jack - Hollem, Howard R. - Sherwood, Mark - Palmer, Alfred T. - Rittase, William M.
- Date: 1939
Collection Items: View 1,623 Items
CollectionFlorida Folklife from the WPA Collections, 1937-1942 Florida Folklife from the WPA Collections is a multiformat ethnographic field collection documenting African-American, Arabic, Bahamian, British-American, Cuban, Greek, Italian, Minorcan, Seminole, and Slavic cultures throughout Florida. Features folksongs and folktales in...
- Contributor: Kennedy, Stetson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 494 Items
CollectionFood and Foodways Web Archive The scope of the Food and Foodways collection of archived websites is broad, reflecting the interdisciplinary nature of food studies. The collection provides an inclusive space for food-related sites proposed by nominators...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Library of Congress. Science, Technology, and Business Division
- Date: 2018
Collection Items: View 35 Items
CollectionGrabill Collection 3076-1: Ox teams in the Black Hills of South Dakota; 3076-2: Portraits of Oglala, Lakota, Miniconjou, and Brulé Indians, Pine Ridge and Cheyenne River, South Dakota; 3076-3: Railroads, including construction and railroad...
- Contributor: Grabill, John C. H.
- Date: 1887
Collection Items: View 193 Items
CollectionHispano Music and Culture of the Northern Rio Grande: The Juan B. Rael Collection This ethnographic field collection documents the musical heritage and Catholic religious and cultural traditions of the Hispano residents of the portion of the northern Rio Grande region spanning northern New Mexico and...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Rael, Juan Bautista - Lobato, Salomé - Martínez Y Lavadi, Samuel - Archuleta, Ricardo - American Folklife Center - Chávez, Adelaido - Romero, Alfredo - Lamadrid, Enrique R. - Lobato, Julián ... Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Rael, Juan Bautista - Lobato, Salomé - Martínez Y Lavadi, Samuel - Archuleta, Ricardo - American Folklife Center - Chávez, Adelaido - Romero, Alfredo - Lamadrid, Enrique R. - Lobato, Julián - Cantú, José Ignacio - Mares, Remigio - García, Pedro - Medina, Esteban - Espinosa, Rosabel L. - Montoya, Luis - Arellano, Narciso - Arellano, Esequiel - Archive of Folk Song (U.S.) - Trujillo, Amado - Chávez, Adolfo - Anaya, Nieves - Anaya, Ernestina
- Date: 1940
Collection Items: View 226 Items
CollectionHorydczak Collection Images documenting the architecture and social life of Washington, D.C., primarily from ca. 1920 to ca. 1950. Exteriors and interiors of commercial, residential, and government buildings, including the U.S. Capitol, Library of...
- Contributor: Horydczak, Theodor
- Date: 1915
Collection Items: View 14,324 Items
CollectionLawrence & Houseworth Collection Half-stereograph prints show sites in Northern California with emphasis on San Francisco and areas of the Sierra Nevada. Also views of Carson City and Virginia City in Western Nevada. Subjects include placer...
- Contributor: Lawrence & Houseworth
- Date: 1862
Collection Items: View 910 Items
CollectionThe Life of a City: Early Films of New York, 1898-1906 Collection of early motion pictures derived primarily from the Paper Print Collection of the Library of Congress to form part of the American Memory's digitized historical collections for the National Digital Library...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division - Kleine (George) Collection (Library of Congress) - Afi/Post (George) Collection (Library of Congress) - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Afi/Staples (Robert) & Charles (Barbara) Collection (Library of Congress) - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1897
Collection Items: View 54 Items
CollectionLomax Collection Snapshots primarily documenting sound recording expeditions carried out by John Avery Lomax, Alan Lomax, and Ruby Terrill Lomax for the Archive of American Folk Song from 1934 to ca. 1950. Photographs depict...
- Contributor: Archive of American Folk Song - Lomax, Alan - Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Lomax, Ruby T. (Ruby Terrill)
- Date: 1934
Collection Items: View 451 Items
CollectionLowell Folklife Project Collection This year-long study conducted by the American Folklife Center yielded an ethnographic collection consisting of 196 hours of sound recordings covering a wide range of subjects and activities, including oral history interviews,...
- Contributor: Rankin, Tom - Taylor, David Alan - Lowell Historic Preservation Commission (U.S.) - Wachs, Eleanor F. - Lueders-Booth, John - Bell, Michael Edward - University of Lowell - American Folklife Center - Bartis, Peter - United States. National Park Service ... Rankin, Tom - Taylor, David Alan - Lowell Historic Preservation Commission (U.S.) - Wachs, Eleanor F. - Lueders-Booth, John - Bell, Michael Edward - University of Lowell - American Folklife Center - Bartis, Peter - United States. National Park Service - Norkunas, Martha K. - Fleischhauer, Carl - Lowell National Historical Park (Lowell, Mass.) - Fertig, Barbara C. - Refugee Arts Group - Montaño, Mario - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - DeNatale, Douglas - Massachusetts Council on the Arts and Humanities
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 1,140 Items
CollectionManuscript Division Web Archive The Manuscript Division Archive of Organizational Web Sites includes principally Web sites of organizations with whom the division has an existing relationship. Although diverse in content, they fall into several broad categories....
- Contributor: National Council of Jewish Women - American Studies Association - Sigmund Freud Copyrights (Firm) - Society of Woman Geographers - Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund - Sigmund Freud Archives - Library of Congress - Ameen Rihani Organization - Sigmund Freud Museum (Vienna, Austria) - National Consumers' League ... National Council of Jewish Women - American Studies Association - Sigmund Freud Copyrights (Firm) - Society of Woman Geographers - Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund - Sigmund Freud Archives - Library of Congress - Ameen Rihani Organization - Sigmund Freud Museum (Vienna, Austria) - National Consumers' League - Phi Beta Kappa - Center for International Private Enterprise - Dr. Frederick A. Cook Society - National Democratic Institute for International Affairs - Macdowell Colony (Peterborough, N.H.) - League of Women Voters (U.S.) - American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics - Historical Society of the District of Columbia Circuit - Navy League of the United States - American Council of Learned Societies - Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training - National Coalition for History - Solidarity Center (Afl-Cio) - National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (U.S.) - National Endowment for Democracy (U.S.) - Civil Rights Coalition for the 21st Century - American Historical Association - American Society of Landscape Architects - National Urban League - Freud Museum (London, England) - Streit Council for a Union of Democracies
- Date: 2008
Collection Items: View 38 Items
CollectionMontana Folklife Survey Collection Collection of field recordings of interviews with Montanans in various occupations including ranching, sheep herding, blacksmithing, stone cutting, saddle making, and mining; various folk and traditional music occasions including fiddle and mandolin...
- Contributor: McBride, Tom - Johnson, Paula J. - Young, Kay - Stanton, Gary Ward - Toelken, Miiko - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Dockstader, Ray - Toelken, Barre - Crummett, Michael - Wasson, George - Fleischhauer, Carl - American Folklife Center - Montana Arts Council
- Date: 1979
Collection Items: View 613 Items
CollectionNew Mexico Folklife Project Collection Documentation from New Mexico fieldwork conducted by Carl Fleischhauer, consultant, of the American Folklife Center, in the summers of 1984 and 1985, with folklorist Laurie Beth Kalb, for the Museum of International...
- Contributor: Kalb, Laurie Beth - New Mexico. Historic Preservation Division - Museum of International Folk Art (N.M.) - Fleischhauer, Carl - Pratt, Boyd C. - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1984
Collection Items: View 112 Items
CollectionNow What a Time: Blues, Gospel, and the Fort Valley Music Festivals, 1938-1943 Collection of disc copies of field recordings of gospel quartets; Negro sacred harp singers recorded in Ozark, Alabama in September 1938; blues, instrumentals on guitar, banjo, harmonica, bass fiddle, and piano, recorded...
- Contributor: Bond, James - Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Peach County, Ga.). Choir - Richardson, Zema - Thomas, John Lee - Holloway High School Quartet - Winrow, Anthony - Parker, Cleve - Fisk University - Ezell, Buster - Smith Band (Musical Group) ... Bond, James - Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Peach County, Ga.). Choir - Richardson, Zema - Thomas, John Lee - Holloway High School Quartet - Winrow, Anthony - Parker, Cleve - Fisk University - Ezell, Buster - Smith Band (Musical Group) - Gibson, Gus - Ellis, Charles - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Stripling, Sidney - Mathis, Allison - Turner, Oscar - Monch, Matthew - Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Turner, Alma - Turner, Monroe - Chastain, Will - Bond, Edward - Chestain, Sonny - Ford, T. J. - Jackson, Deacon Sam - Heavenly Gate Quartet - Gaines, Elwood - Gregory, Richard - Johnson, Warren G. - Traveller Home Singers - Spiritual Four Quartet - Ford, Osa
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 182 Items
CollectionOccupational Folklife Project Collection of audio oral history interviews documenting the diverse culture of workers associated with the Port of Houston, Texas, and the Houston Ship Channel. Interviews were conducted from July 2010 to October...
- Contributor: Aalund, Niels Anders - Thibodeaux, Terry James - Quesada, José Angel - Braun, Leo J. - Diehl, William J. - Holland, Benny - Larrimer, George - Seeba, Patrick - Morrell, David C. - Patton, William Benjamin ... Aalund, Niels Anders - Thibodeaux, Terry James - Quesada, José Angel - Braun, Leo J. - Diehl, William J. - Holland, Benny - Larrimer, George - Seeba, Patrick - Morrell, David C. - Patton, William Benjamin - Dickens, Michael W. - Hilliard, Townsend W. - Olsen, Eric Carl - Glass, Matthew H. - Dodd, Harold L. - Potoczniak, Anthony - Gage, Charles H. - Hensley, James J. - Corgey, Dean - Kersey, Bobby C. - Blume, Dana - Henry, Mark - Usher, Michael Gene - King, Charles H. - Fitzgerald, Clyde - Thompson, Robert L. - Vest, Lou C. - Mayville, Donnie D. - Peterson, Betsy - American Folklife Center - Montgomery, Charles R. - Mims, Doug - Martinez, Gilbert - Harris, Timothy C. - Burkett, Joe L. - Bennett, Steven R. - Halbert, David Maurice - Occupational Folklife Project - Shaffer, Harold L. - Lindahl, Carl - Jasper, Pat - Hausinger, William - Keenan, Gordie - Hennessey, William S. - Cooney, James Patrick - Lightsey, Thomas N. - Glass, Leonard - Robb, Alan A. - Paysse, Charlie Lou - Lebert, Lindberg A. - Hilliard, Henry - Ramirez, Gilda - Bludworth, Richard W. - Harris, Eugene - Patout, Rivers - Rousser, C. A. - Tray, James Thomas - Laws, Andrew L. - Houston Arts Alliance - Tellepsen, Tom - Postel, Adolph C.
- Date: 2010
Collection Items: View 303 Items
CollectionOmaha Indian Music Ethnographic field collection of traditional Omaha music from the 1890s through the 1980s. Contains recordings from wax cylinders, songs, speeches, interviews, photographs, field notes, and tape logs. Features material from the 1983...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 873 Items
CollectionPanoramic Maps Collection contains about 1,700 idealized schematic views of towns and cities; a wealth of detail in setting, streets, and buildings. The majority of items presented here are documented in "Panoramic maps of...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Geography and Map Division - Dempsey, Patrick E. (Patrick Eugene) - Hébert, John R.
- Date: 1997
Collection Items: View 1,517 Items