CollectionAbraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress Correspondence and other papers relating primarily to Abraham Lincoln's presidency and the Civil War. Includes two drafts of the Gettysburg address, material preserved by John G. Nicolay in his capacities as Lincoln's...
- Contributor: Lincoln, Abraham
Collection Items: View 20,206 Items
CollectionAfter the Day of Infamy: "Man-on-the-Street" Interviews Following the Attack on Pearl Harbor
- Date: 1941
Collection Items: View 139 Items
CollectionThe Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana Works by and about Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) and his era; includes published and unpublished material on contemporary figures, slavery, the Civil War, and Reconstruction; the bronze casts of Lincoln's head and hands...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana (Library of Congress) - Stern, Alfred Whital
- Date: 1824
Collection Items: View 1,542 Items
CollectionAmerican Civil War Sesquicentennial Web Archive The American Civil War Sesquicentennial Web Archive is a collection of websites presenting various projects and events in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War. This anniversary is historically...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Researcher and Reference Services Division - Library of Congress
- Date: 2011
Collection Items: View 198 Items
CollectionAmerican Leaders Speak: Recordings from World War I The Nation's Forum Collection at the Library of Congress consists of 59 acoustic recordings of speeches, delivered without a public audience solely for the purposes of preserving the speakers' voices. With two...
- Contributor: Wood, Leonard - Daniels, Josephus - Rockefeller, John D., (John Davison) - Hitchcock, Gilbert M. (Gilbert Monell) - Coolidge, Calvin - Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano) - Poindexter, Miles - Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison) - White, George - Baker, Newton Diehl ... Wood, Leonard - Daniels, Josephus - Rockefeller, John D., (John Davison) - Hitchcock, Gilbert M. (Gilbert Monell) - Coolidge, Calvin - Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano) - Poindexter, Miles - Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison) - White, George - Baker, Newton Diehl - Clark, Champ - Lane, Franklin K. - McAdoo, W. G. (William Gibbs) - Long, Breckinridge - Owen, Robert L. (Robert Latham) - De Valera, Éamon - Pershing, John J. (John Joseph) - Gerard, James W. (James Watson) - Palmer, A. Mitchell (Alexander Mitchell) - Cummings, Homer S. (Homer Stillé) - Purdy, Richard A. (Richard Augustus) - Lodge, Henry Cabot - Gompers, Samuel - Robinson, Corinne Roosevelt - Butler, Nicholas Murray - Colby, Bainbridge - Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel) - Wise, Stephen S. (Stephen Samuel) - Lewis, James - Vanderlip, Frank A. (Frank Arthur) - Cox, James M. (James Middleton)
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 97 Items
CollectionAmerican Revolution and Its Era: Maps and Charts of North America and the West Indies, 1750-1789 American Revolution and Its Era, Maps and Charts of North America and the West Indies, 1750-1789 represents an important historical record of the mapping of North America and the Caribbean. Most of...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Geography and Map Division
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 1,432 Items
CollectionAndrew Jackson Papers Correspondence, memoranda, journals, speeches, military papers, land deeds, scrapbook, printed matter, and other papers reflecting most phases of Jackson's military and political career. Subjects include his law practice in Tennessee, his service...
- Contributor: Jackson, Andrew
Collection Items: View 17,171 Items
CollectionAndrew Johnson Papers Correspondence, memoranda, diaries, messages and speeches, courts-martial and amnesty records, financial records, lists, newspaper clippings, printed matter, scrapbooks, photographs, and other papers relating chiefly to Johnson's presidency. Subjects include the Civil War,...
- Contributor: Johnson, Andrew - Moore, William G. (William George)
Collection Items: View 98 Items
CollectionAnna Maria Brodeau Thornton Papers Seven bound volumes containing diaries, journals, essays, log of household visitors, daily log of activities, household accounts, silhouettes of unidentified people, and other papers primarily describing social life in Washington, D.C., with...
- Contributor: Thornton, Anna Maria Brodeau
Collection Items: View 12 Items
CollectionAnsel Adams's Photographs of Japanese-American Internment at Manzanar Photographs document the lives of Japanese Americans interned during World War II at the Manzanar Relocation Center, in Inyo County, California. There are numerous close-up and occupational portraits of individuals, including Roy...
- Contributor: Adams, Ansel
- Date: 1943
Collection Items: View 258 Items
CollectionBand Music from the Civil War Era Makes available examples of a brilliant style of brass band music that flourished in the 1850s in the United States and remained popular through the nineteenth century. Bands of this kind served...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Music Division
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 54 Items
CollectionBetty Herndon Maury Maury Papers Diary (1861 June 3-1863 February 18) written chiefly at Fredericksburg, Va., containing detailed comments on the progress of the Civil War, especially in the local area, hardships suffered by Confederate soldiers, and...
- Contributor: Maury, Betty Herndon Maury
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 7 Items
CollectionBrady-Handy Collection The majority of the Brady-Handy negatives are Civil War and post-Civil War portraits, with a small collection of Washington views. Included are Presidents of the United States, their wives, members of Congress,...
- Contributor: Handy, Levin C. (Levin Corbin) - Brady, Mathew
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 5,005 Items
CollectionCharles Wellington Reed Papers, 1776 to 1926 Correspondence, diary (1864), ink and pencil sketches, watercolors, prints, lithographs, books illustrated by Reed, citations, military papers, printed material, maps, medals, photographs, and memorabilia relating to Reed's service in the 9th Massachusetts...
- Contributor: Reed, Charles Wellington
Collection Items: View 36 Items
CollectionCivil War Images depict military personnel and facilities, primarily from a Union perspective. Includes the main Eastern theater, the federal navy and seaborne expeditions against the Atlantic Coast of the Confederacy, the war in...
- Contributor: O'Sullivan, Timothy H. - Brady, Mathew - Barnard, George N. - Gibson, James F. - Gardner, Alexander - Smith, William Morris
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 16,084 Items
CollectionCivil War Maps Civil War Maps brings together materials from three premier collections: the Library of Congress Geography and Map Division, the Virginia Historical Society, and the Library of Virginia. Among the reconnaissance, sketch, and...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Geography and Map Division - Virginia Historical Society - Library of Virginia
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 2,338 Items
CollectionCivil War Soldier in the Wild Cat Regiment : Selections from the Tilton C. Reynolds Papers Chiefly letters written by Reynolds to his mother, Juliana Smith Reynolds, during his service with the 105th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment that describe Civil War skirmishes in Virginia, military life, and morale of...
- Contributor: Reynolds, Tilton C. - Reynolds, Juliana Smith
Collection Items: View 174 Items
CollectionClara Barton Papers Correspondence, diaries and journals, reports, addresses, legal and financial papers, organizational records, lectures, writings, scrapbooks, biographical material, printed matter, memorabilia, and other papers relating to Barton's work to provide relief services during...
- Contributor: Barton, Clara
Collection Items: View 939 Items
CollectionConfederate States of America Records Correspondence, proclamations, messages of the president, court cases, minute books, docket books, customs records, financial papers, letterbooks, orders, reports, accounts, receipts, and other records relating to the formulation of the government of...
- Contributor: Confederate States of America. Post-Office Department - Confederate States of America. War Department - Confederate States of America. Department of the Treasury - Confederate States of America. Department of Justice - Confederate States of America - Confederate States of America. Army of Tennessee - Confederate States of America. Department of State - Wadsworth, James Wolcott - Confederate States of America. Navy
Collection Items: View 73 Items
CollectionCrisis in Darfur 2006 Web Archive Selective collection of 216 Web sites, archived from March 20, 2006 to Nov. 20, 2006, relating to the humanitarian crisis in Darfur, Sudan. The archived sites are international in scope, and include...
- Contributor: Library of Congress
- Date: 2006
Collection Items: View 220 Items
CollectionDonald Benham Civil War Collection Correspondence, speeches, military orders and records, financial and legal records, and other papers of Union Army officers and soldiers concerning recruitment, enlistment, camp life, battle engagements, military strategy, and distribution of military...
- Contributor: Benham, Donald
Collection Items: View 15 Items
CollectionE. B. Washburne Papers Chiefly correspondence documenting Washburne's service as a member of Congress in the Civil War era, 1853-1869, and as minister to France, 1869-1877. Subjects include Whig politics nationally and in Illinois; Washburne's congressional...
- Contributor: Washburne, E. (Elihu Benjamin)
Collection Items: View 169 Items
CollectionEdwin McMasters Stanton Papers, 1818-1921 Correspondence, letterbooks, reports, printed matter, memorabilia, maps, and other papers relating chiefly to Stanton's role as U.S. secretary of war under Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson and to his role in the...
- Contributor: Stanton, Edwin M. (Edwin McMasters)
Collection Items: View 56 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black-and-White Negatives A visual encyclopedia of rural and urban conditions and lifestyles in the U.S. and its territories, with some images of Canada and international events. The photographs in this government-sponsored project initially documented...
- Contributor: United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1935
Collection Items: View 170,906 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Color Photographs Documentary images of life and culture in the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Farm Security Administration images focus on rural areas, depicting farming, mining, forestry, migrant labor, children,...
- Contributor: Collins, Marjory - United States. Office of War Information - Jacobs, Fenno - Collier, John - Rosskam, Louise - Feininger, Andreas - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration ... Collins, Marjory - United States. Office of War Information - Jacobs, Fenno - Collier, John - Rosskam, Louise - Feininger, Andreas - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration - Lee, Russell - Vachon, John - Rous, John - Bransby, David - Siegel, Arthur S. - Rothstein, Arthur - Liberman, Howard - Delano, Jack - Hollem, Howard R. - Sherwood, Mark - Palmer, Alfred T. - Rittase, William M.
- Date: 1939
Collection Items: View 1,623 Items
CollectionFenton Crimean War Photographs These photographs present a substantial documentary record of the participants and the landscape of the Crimean War, although there are no actual combat scenes. Comprised mainly of portrait photographs of British military...
- Contributor: Fenton, Roger
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 268 Items
CollectionFiddle Tunes of the Old Frontier: The Henry Reed Collection Presents a multi-format collection of traditional fiddle tunes performed by Henry Reed of Glen Lyn, Virginia. Recorded by folklorist Alan Jabbour in 1966-1967, when Reed was over 80 years old, the tunes...
- Contributor: Jabbour, Alan - Reed, Henry - Glenroy, William - Ricci, Glenn - Reed, Watha - Reed, Gene - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 292 Items
CollectionFrederick Law Olmsted Papers Correspondence, letterbooks, journals, drafts of articles and books, speeches and lectures, biographical and genealogical data, business papers, legal and financial papers, scrapbooks, printed material, maps, drawings, and other papers encompassing Olmsted's career...
- Contributor: Olmsted, Gideon - Olmsted, John - Olmsted, Frederick Law
Collection Items: View 741 Items
CollectionGeorge Brinton McClellan Papers Correspondence; telegrams; memoranda; diaries; writings; notes; military papers; printed copies of speeches, articles, and books; McClellan family papers; scrapbooks; and other papers relating primarily to McClellan's Civil War service particularly in the...
- Contributor: McClellan, Mary Ellen Marcy - McClellan, George (George Brinton) - Minter, Joseph F.
Collection Items: View 343 Items
CollectionGideon Welles Papers Correspondence, diaries, writings, naval records, scrapbooks, and other papers relating to Welles's work as editor of the Hartford Times; his activities as a member of the Democratic Party and, later, the Republican...
- Contributor: Welles, Gideon - Learned, Henry Barrett - Welles, Edgar Thaddeus
Collection Items: View 364 Items
CollectionGladstone Collection of African American Photographs The Gladstone Collection features photographs of African Americans and related military and social history. The Civil War era is the primary time period, with scattered examples depicting African Americans in the military...
- Contributor: Gladstone, William A. - Kimball, M. H. - M'clees, Jas. E. (James E.) - Kellogg Brothers - Ball, James Presley - Paxson, Chas. (Charles) - Moore, Henry P. - McPherson & Oliver
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 330 Items
CollectionHerndon-Weik Collection of Lincolniana Collection composed of the papers of Abraham Lincoln, William Henry Herndon, and Jesse William Weik; records (1933) of The Weik Manuscript Corporation; and miscellaneous material collected chiefly by Herndon and Weik for...
- Contributor: Weik, Jesse William - Herndon, William Henry - Lincoln, Abraham
Collection Items: View 72 Items
CollectionIraq War 2003 Web Archive On March 20, 2003, the United States began military action against Iraq for the stated purpose of deposing Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein and preventing his use of suspected nuclear weapons (weapons of...
- Contributor: Library of Congress
- Date: 2008
Collection Items: View 312 Items
Collection Items: View 4,682 Items
CollectionJedediah Hotchkiss Papers Correspondence, diaries, writings, notebooks, subject files, financial records, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, and printed matter relating principally to Hotchkiss's service with the Confederate Army as a topographical engineer in Virginia and to his...
- Contributor: Rogers, William Barton - Hotchkiss, Jedediah - Hotchkiss, Sara Anne Comfort
Collection Items: View 662 Items