CollectionHome Sweet Home: Life in Nineteenth-Century Ohio Before the age of radio, television, and other electronic diversions, families made their own entertainment in the home by playing games, reading aloud, performing plays, and, of course, by making music. Children...
- Date: 1800
Collection Items: View 42 Items
CollectionTraditional Music and Spoken Word The audio recordings represented in the catalog were recorded between 1897 and 1962. The majority of these are lacquer and aluminum-based instantaneous disc recordings made between 1933 and 1950. The handful of...
- Date: 1897
Collection Items: View 1 Items
CollectionHispano Music and Culture of the Northern Rio Grande: The Juan B. Rael Collection Hispano Music and Culture of the Northern Rio Grande: The Juan B. Rael Collection is an online presentation of an ethnographic field collection documenting religious and secular music of Spanish-speaking residents of...
- Contributor: Anaya, Ernestina - Anaya, Nieves - Archuleta, Ricardo - Arellano, Esequiel - Arellano, Narciso - Cantú, José Ignacio - Chávez, Adelaido - Chávez, Adolfo - Espinosa, Rosabel L. - García, Pedro ... Anaya, Ernestina - Anaya, Nieves - Archuleta, Ricardo - Arellano, Esequiel - Arellano, Narciso - Cantú, José Ignacio - Chávez, Adelaido - Chávez, Adolfo - Espinosa, Rosabel L. - García, Pedro - Lobato, Julián - Lobato, Salomé - Mares, Remigio - Martínez Y Lavadi, Samuel - Medina, Esteban - Montoya, Luis - Romero, Alfredo - Trujillo, Amado - Rael, Juan Bautista - Lamadrid, Enrique R. - Archive of Folk Song (U.S.) - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1940
Collection Items: View 226 Items
CollectionNow What a Time: Blues, Gospel, and the Fort Valley Music Festivals, 1938-1943 Consists of approximately one hundred sound recordings, primarily blues and gospel songs, and related documentation from the folk festival at Fort Valley State College (now Fort Valley State University), Fort Valley, Georgia....
- Contributor: Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Bond, Edward - Bond, James - Chastain, Will - Chestain, Sonny - Ellis, Charles - Ezell, Buster - Ford, Osa - Ford, T. J. - Gaines, Elwood ... Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Bond, Edward - Bond, James - Chastain, Will - Chestain, Sonny - Ellis, Charles - Ezell, Buster - Ford, Osa - Ford, T. J. - Gaines, Elwood - Gibson, Gus - Gregory, Richard - Jackson, Deacon Sam - Johnson, Warren G. - Mathis, Allison - Monch, Matthew - Parker, Cleve - Richardson, Zema - Stripling, Sidney - Thomas, John Lee - Turner, Alma - Turner, Monroe - Turner, Oscar - Winrow, Anthony - Holloway High School Quartet - Heavenly Gate Quartet - Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Peach County, Ga.). Choir - Smith Band (Musical Group) - Spiritual Four Quartet - Traveller Home Singers - Fisk University - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 182 Items
CollectionSouth Central Georgia Folklife Project Collection The South-Central Georgia Folklife Project collection resulted from an ethnographic field project conducted in the summer of 1977 by the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress and the Arts Experiment...
- Contributor: Adler, Thomas A. - Blackmarr, Syd - Coelho, Dennis - Fleischhauer, Carl - Jabbour, Alan - Lightfoot, William E. (William Edwin) - Marshall, Howard W. - Robinson, Beverly J. - Stanley, David - Hamrick, Raymond C. - McGraw, Hugh - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - American Folklife Center - Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
- Date: 1977
Collection Items: View 1,123 Items
CollectionMontana Folklife Survey Collection The Montana Folklife Survey was conducted in the summer of 1979 by the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress, in cooperation with the Montana Arts Council. The survey was a...
- Contributor: Crummett, Michael - Fleischhauer, Carl - Johnson, Paula J. - McBride, Tom - Stanton, Gary Ward - Toelken, Barre - Toelken, Miiko - Young, Kay - Wasson, George - Dockstader, Ray - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Montana Arts Council
- Date: 1979
Collection Items: View 607 Items
CollectionSouthern Mosaic: The John and Ruby Lomax 1939 Southern States Recording Trip This recording trip is an ethnographic field collection that includes nearly 700 sound recordings, as well as fieldnotes, dust jackets, and other manuscripts documenting a three-month, 6,502-mile trip through the southern United...
- Contributor: Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Lomax, Alan - Lomax, Ruby T. (Ruby Terrill) - Archive of American Folk Song
- Date: 1934
Collection Items: View 895 Items
CollectionRhode Island Folklife Project Collection The Rhode Island Folklife Project collection resulted from a field survey project of the American Folklife Center, Library of Congress, conducted in cooperation with the Rhode Island Heritage Commission, the Rhode Island...
- Contributor: Bartis, Peter - Bell, Michael Edward - Burns, Thomas A. - Fleischhauer, Carl - Goldstein, Kenneth S. - Horenstein, Henry - Johnson, Geraldine Niva - Harley, Nancy - Glawson, Francis - Rhode Island Folklife Project - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1979
Collection Items: View 979 Items
CollectionLeonard Bernstein About the Leonard Bernstein Collection The Leonard Bernstein Collection at the Library of Congress is as exceptional as its name would suggest. Bernstein, arguably the most prominent figure in American classical music...
- Contributor: Bernstein, Leonard - Coates, Helen - Gottlieb, Jack - Harmon, Charlie
- Date: 1900
Collection Items: View 3,829 Items
CollectionWilliam P. Gottlieb Collection In 1995 this collection was purchased with financial support from the Ira and Leonore S. Gershwin Fund. The collection consists of jazz photographs taken by writer-photographer William P. Gottlieb, from 1938 to...
- Contributor: Gottlieb, William P.
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 1,792 Items
CollectionFlorida Folklife from the WPA Collections, 1937-1942 Florida Folklife from the WPA Collections combines sound recordings and manuscript materials from four discrete archival collections made by Work Projects Administration (WPA) workers from the Joint Committee on Folk Arts, the...
- Contributor: Kennedy, Stetson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 494 Items
CollectionThe Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine Collection Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine in London American actor, singer and comedian Danny Kaye arrives with his wife, Sylvia Fine, for an appearance in London. November 1948. Following the professional lives of...
- Contributor: Kaye, Danny - Fine, Sylvia - Halsman, Philippe - McDowall, Roddy - Dena Pictures, Inc - Kaye (Danny)/Fine (Sylvia) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 2,054 Items
CollectionCaptain Pearl R. Nye: Life on the Ohio and Erie Canal Captain Pearl R. Nye: Life on the Ohio and Erie Canal captures the culture and music of the men, women, and children who worked and lived along the Ohio and Erie Canal....
- Contributor: Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Lomax, Alan - Nye, Pearl R. - Archive of American Folk Song - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1937
Collection Items: View 140 Items
CollectionAmerican Leaders Speak: Recordings from World War I The Nation's Forum recordings were made between 1918 and 1920 in an effort to preserve the voices of prominent Americans; in most cases, they are the only surviving recordings of a speaker....
- Contributor: Baker, Newton Diehl - Butler, Nicholas Murray - Clark, Champ - Colby, Bainbridge - Coolidge, Calvin - Cox, James M. (James Middleton) - Cummings, Homer S. (Homer Stillé) - Daniels, Josephus - De Valera, Éamon - Gerard, James W. (James Watson) ... Baker, Newton Diehl - Butler, Nicholas Murray - Clark, Champ - Colby, Bainbridge - Coolidge, Calvin - Cox, James M. (James Middleton) - Cummings, Homer S. (Homer Stillé) - Daniels, Josephus - De Valera, Éamon - Gerard, James W. (James Watson) - Gompers, Samuel - Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel) - Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison) - Hitchcock, Gilbert M. (Gilbert Monell) - Lane, Franklin K. - Lewis, James - Lodge, Henry Cabot - Long, Breckinridge - McAdoo, W. G. (William Gibbs) - Owen, Robert L. (Robert Latham) - Palmer, A. Mitchell (Alexander Mitchell) - Pershing, John J. (John Joseph) - Poindexter, Miles - Purdy, Richard A. (Richard Augustus) - Robinson, Corinne Roosevelt - Rockefeller, John D., (John Davison) - Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano) - Vanderlip, Frank A. (Frank Arthur) - White, George - Wise, Stephen S. (Stephen Samuel) - Wood, Leonard
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 97 Items
CollectionVoices Remembering Slavery: Freed People Tell Their Stories The recordings of former slaves in Voices Remembering Slavery: Freed People Tell Their Stories took place between 1932 and 1975 in nine states. Twenty-three interviewees discuss how they felt about slavery, slaveholders,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2004
Collection Items: View 69 Items
CollectionMusical Instruments at the Library of Congress Instrument collecting at the Library began in 1935 with the donation of five Stradivarius stringed instruments by Mrs. Gertrude Clarke Whittall. Since then other instruments have been acquired, including strings, flutes and...
Collection Items: View 2,098 Items
CollectionAlan Lomax Collection of Michigan and Wisconsin Recordings In 1938 the Library of Congress dispatched the pioneering folklorist and song collector Alan Lomax—already a seasoned field worker at age 23—to conduct a folk song survey of the Great Lakes region....
- Contributor: Aho, Lillian - Aho, Pekka - Allen, Perry - Bangac, Petar - Baratono, Art - Basrak, Stjepan - Bellaire, Exilia - Bellaire, Mose - Berky, Nandor - Bonner, Daniel ... Aho, Lillian - Aho, Pekka - Allen, Perry - Bangac, Petar - Baratono, Art - Basrak, Stjepan - Bellaire, Exilia - Bellaire, Mose - Berky, Nandor - Bonner, Daniel - Bonner, Patrick - Brideup, Louis - Cadeau, Ed - Cadeau, John - Cadeau, Mathilda - Carrière, Dolphis - Carrière, Fred - Cloud, Joe - Cloud, Clarence - Delmas, Adolphus - Dobričan, Lazar - Dragić, Todor - Erickson, Max - Floriani, Margaret - Floriani, Veko - Floriani, Vladimir - Forster, Yalmer Eino - Frazier, Belle - Frazier, Calvin - Frazier, Clara - Frazier, Lonnie - Frazier, Viola - Fredrickson, John - Fredrickson, Kaisa - Gallagher, Dominic - Gallagher, Andrew E. - Gallagher, Emerald - Gaza, V. Sipoo - Graham, Bert - Green, John W. - Grbić, Ludevit - Guzal, Frank - Halinen, Selma Elona - Happy Jack Woodward - Härkönen, Amanda - Hirvelä, Wäin - Hulan - Hyvönen, John - Jackson, Andrew - Juhani, Aapo - Kallio, Kalle - Kania, Felix - Ketvirtis, Charles - King, Edward - Korvenpaa, Charles - Krawezak - Kruczynski, Clara - Kubesh, John G. - Kubien, Rose - Larson, Nils - Larson, John - Larson, Steen - Lathrop, Carl - Leclaire, Leilia - Lewandowski, Edwina - Lewandowski, Stephan - Lewandowski, Stephanie - Lewandowski, Ted - Mahoski, Henry - Maki, Emil - Maki, Frank - Marczis, Joseph - Marinetti, Victor - Marinetti, John - Marttila - Maté - McBride, Bill - McCauley, Edward - McCarthy, Barney - McCormick, Ed - McDonough, Patrick - Meyers, Herman - Miron, Joe - Nemeth, Kalman - Niewiadomska, Frances - Norman, John - O'Donnell, Mike J. - Olah, Julius - Palmer, Mason - Pischner, Helen - Pittman, Sampson - Pohjala, Aina - Pol, Thomas - Pope, Allan C. - Preda, Emil Milan - Rajčević, Stepan - Rautanen, Vernon - Ricksgers, Joseph - Romel, Adolph - Romel, Leo - Romel, Sylvester - Romel, Ted - Romel - Rudzinski, Alex - Sainović, Ilija - Scheffer, Peter - Sielvankiewiez - Similä, Gusti - Strzelecki, Tony - Styes, Archie - Szilagyi, Dizso - Szabo, Andy - Thrasher, Ed - Tomić, Pajo - Trivanović, Stefan - Trueblood, Asel - Vasvary, Steve - Velin, Maria - Viita, Frank - Vizina, Adelore - Vujanović, Stjepan - Wallen, Mr. - Warslzyk, Tony - Wells, Lester - Lomax, Alan - Archive of American Folk Song
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 444 Items