Collection Items: View 441 Items
Collection Items: View 91 Items
CollectionWorld War I Centennial Web Archive The World War I Centennial Web Archive is a collection of websites presenting various projects and events commemorating the 100th anniversary of the United States involvement in the First World War. It...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Researcher and Reference Services Division - Library of Congress
- Date: 2014
Collection Items: View 50 Items
CollectionAmerican Leaders Speak: Recordings from World War I The Nation's Forum recordings were made between 1918 and 1920 in an effort to preserve the voices of prominent Americans; in most cases, they are the only surviving recordings of a speaker....
- Contributor: Wood, Leonard - Daniels, Josephus - Rockefeller, John D., (John Davison) - Hitchcock, Gilbert M. (Gilbert Monell) - Coolidge, Calvin - Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano) - Poindexter, Miles - Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison) - White, George - Baker, Newton Diehl ... Wood, Leonard - Daniels, Josephus - Rockefeller, John D., (John Davison) - Hitchcock, Gilbert M. (Gilbert Monell) - Coolidge, Calvin - Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano) - Poindexter, Miles - Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison) - White, George - Baker, Newton Diehl - Clark, Champ - Lane, Franklin K. - McAdoo, W. G. (William Gibbs) - Long, Breckinridge - Owen, Robert L. (Robert Latham) - De Valera, Éamon - Pershing, John J. (John Joseph) - Gerard, James W. (James Watson) - Palmer, A. Mitchell (Alexander Mitchell) - Cummings, Homer S. (Homer Stillé) - Purdy, Richard A. (Richard Augustus) - Lodge, Henry Cabot - Gompers, Samuel - Robinson, Corinne Roosevelt - Butler, Nicholas Murray - Colby, Bainbridge - Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel) - Wise, Stephen S. (Stephen Samuel) - Lewis, James - Vanderlip, Frank A. (Frank Arthur) - Cox, James M. (James Middleton)
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 97 Items
CollectionPosters: World War I Posters This collection makes available online approximately 1,900 posters created between 1914 and 1920. Most relate directly to the war, but some German posters date from the post-war period and illustrate events such...
- Date: 1914
Collection Items: View 1,870 Items
CollectionWilliam A. Gladstone Afro-American Military Collection The William A. Gladstone Afro-American Military Collection (ca. 500 items) spans the years 1773 to 1987, with the bulk of the material dating from the Civil War period, 1861-1865. The collection consists...
- Contributor: Gladstone, William A.
Collection Items: View 332 Items
CollectionJohn J. Pershing Papers The diaries, notebooks, and address books of John Joseph Pershing (1860-1948), U.S. army officer and commander-in-chief of the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I, are part of a larger collection of...
- Contributor: Pershing, John J. (John Joseph) - Pershing, Helen F. (Helen Frances)
Collection Items: View 91 Items
CollectionRobert Lansing Papers The private memoranda, desk diaries, and notes, 1915-1922, of diplomat and lawyer Robert Lansing (1864-1928) consist of 22 volumes (3,090 images) located in containers 63-67 of a larger collection of Lansing papers...
- Contributor: Lansing, Robert
Collection Items: View 24 Items
CollectionPosters: Spanish Civil War Posters The collection consists of approximately 120 posters created between 1936 and 1939 during the Spanish Civil War.
- Contributor: F.A.I. (Organization : Spain) - Spain. Ministerio De Instrucción Pública Y Sanidad - Puyol, Ramón - Hinsberger, Aleix - Fontseré, Carles - Catalonia (Spain). Comissariat De Propaganda - Falange Española. Jefatura Nacional De Prensa Y Propaganda. Seccion Mural - Bardasano, José - Unión General De Trabajadores De España - Confederación Nacional Del Trabajo (Spain)
- Date: 1936
Collection Items: View 126 Items
CollectionFenton Crimean War Photographs Roger Fenton's Crimean War photographs represent one of the earliest systematic attempts to document a war through the medium of photography. Fenton, who spent fewer than four months in the Crimea (March...
- Contributor: Fenton, Roger
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 268 Items
CollectionProsperity and Thrift: The Coolidge Era and the Consumer Economy, 1921-1929 Prosperity and Thrift: The Coolidge Era and the Consumer Economy, 1921-1929, assembles a broad array of Library of Congress source materials documenting the prosperity of the Coolidge years, the nation's transition to...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1999
CollectionAnsel Adams's Photographs of Japanese-American Internment at Manzanar In 1943, Ansel Adams (1902-1984), America's most well-known photographer, documented the Manzanar War Relocation Center in California and the Japanese-Americans interned there during World War II. For the first time, digital scans...
- Contributor: Adams, Ansel
- Date: 1943
Collection Items: View 258 Items
CollectionCalvin Coolidge Papers The papers of John Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933), thirtieth president of the United States, consist of approximately 179,000 documents (218,513 images), which have been digitized from 190 reels of previously reproduced microfilm. Held...
- Contributor: Coolidge, Calvin
Collection Items: View 198 Items
CollectionPolish Declarations of Admiration and Friendship for the United States, 1926 Digitization of this collection was made possible by the Polish Library in Washington, D.C.
- Contributor: American-Polish Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Poland - Polish-American Society
Collection Items: View 117 Items
CollectionJubal Anderson Early Papers The papers of United States and Confederate army officer, lawyer, and Virginia state legislator Jubal Anderson Early (1816-1894) consist of 5,000 items (5,368 images) in 18 containers. Spanning the years 1829-1930, the...
- Contributor: Early, Jubal Anderson
Collection Items: View 29 Items
CollectionHannah Arendt Papers The papers of author, educator, political philosopher, and public intellectual Hannah Arendt (1906-1975) constitute a large and diverse collection (25,000 items; 82,597 images) reflecting a complex career. The collection spans the years...
- Contributor: Arendt, Hannah - Blücher, Heinrich
Collection Items: View 1,552 Items
CollectionChester Alan Arthur Papers The papers of Chester Alan Arthur (1829-1886), who became the twenty-first president of the United States in 1881 after James A. Garfield’s assassination, consist of 4,400 items (7,667 images), most of which...
- Contributor: Arthur, Chester Alan
Collection Items: View 103 Items
CollectionGladstone Collection of African American Photographs The William A. Gladstone Collection of African American Photographs provides almost 350 images showing African Americans and related military and social history. The Civil War era is the primary time period covered,...
- Contributor: Gladstone, William A. - Kimball, M. H. - M'clees, Jas. E. (James E.) - Kellogg Brothers - Ball, James Presley - Paxson, Chas. (Charles) - Moore, Henry P. - McPherson & Oliver
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 330 Items
CollectionStereograph Cards Stereographs consist of two nearly identical photographs or photomechanical prints, paired to produce the illusion of a single three-dimensional image, usually when viewed through a stereoscope. The Prints & Photographs Division's holdings...
- Contributor: H.C. White Co - Keystone View Company - International Stereograph Co. - Underwood & Underwood - Rau, William Herman - Singley, L. (Benjamin Lloyd) - American Stereoscopic Company - Strohmeyer & Wyman
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 37,878 Items
CollectionAmerican Colony in Jerusalem, 1870-2006 This electronic presentation features selected materials from the physical American Colony in Jerusalem Collection. The full collection in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress represents well over 16,600 items stemming...
- Contributor: Spafford, Anna T. - Spafford, Horatio Gates - American Colony (Jerusalem) - Vester, Bertha Spafford
Collection Items: View 131 Items
CollectionEugene Meyer Papers The subject files, 1929-1959, of investment banker, financier, public official, and newspaperman Eugene Meyer (1875-1959) relating to his tenure as fifth chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, 1930-1933, consist of correspondence, memoranda,...
- Contributor: Meyer, Eugene
Collection Items: View 56 Items
CollectionTheodore Roosevelt Papers The papers of Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), public official, author, decorated veteran of the Spanish-American War, governor of New York, and president of the United States (1901-1909), consist of approximately 276,000 documents (roughly...
- Contributor: Roosevelt, Theodore - Roosevelt, Eleanor Butler
Collection Items: View 853 Items
CollectionSeptember 11, 2001, Documentary Project Flight Attendant. Photo by David A. Taylor, September 2001. September 11, 2001, Documentary Project Collection, American Folklife Center, Library of Congress The September 11, 2001 Documentary Project captures the reactions, eyewitness accounts,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 267 Items
CollectionDrawings (Master) Background and Scope: Joseph Pennell Drawings Some 4,700 drawings created by American artist, illustrator, printmaker, and writer Joseph Pennell (1857-1926) are preserved in the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. Such...
- Date: 1500
Collection Items: View 201 Items
CollectionAndre Kostelanetz Collection Andre Kostelanetz (1901-1980) was a Russian-born conductor, arranger, and pianist known for juxtaposing popular and classical repertoire in radio broadcasts during the 1930s and 1940s. He had a highly successful concert career...
- Contributor: Kostelanetz, Andre
- Date: 1922
Collection Items: View 185 Items
CollectionMatson (G. Eric and Edith) Photograph Collection This collection is a rich source of historical images of the Middle East. The majority of the images depict Palestine (present day Israel and the West Bank) from 1898 to 1946. Most...
- Contributor: Matson Photo Service - American Colony (Jerusalem). Photo Department
- Date: 1898
Collection Items: View 22,061 Items
CollectionPanoramic Photographs Contains approximately four thousand images featuring American cityscapes, landscapes, and group portraits. The images date from 1851 to 1991 and depict scenes in all fifty states and the District of Columbia. More...
- Contributor: Geo. R. Lawrence Co. - West Coast Art Co. - Bandholtz, F. J. (Frederick J.) - Haines Photo Co. (Conneaut, Ohio) - Pillsbury Picture Co.
- Date: 1851
Collection Items: View 4,317 Items
CollectionBain Collection The George Grantham Bain Collection represents the photographic files of one of America's earliest news picture agencies. The collection richly documents sports events, theater, celebrities, crime, strikes, disasters, political activities including the...
- Contributor: Bain, George Grantham - Bain News Service
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 41,478 Items
CollectionWoodrow Wilson Papers The papers of Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924), scholar, president of Princeton University, governor of New Jersey, and president of the United States (1913-1921), consist of approximately 280,000 documents, comprising approximately 620,000 images, most...
- Contributor: Wilson, Woodrow - Wilson, Edith Bolling Galt
Collection Items: View 1,040 Items
CollectionSouthern Mosaic: The John and Ruby Lomax 1939 Southern States Recording Trip This recording trip is an ethnographic field collection that includes nearly 700 sound recordings, as well as fieldnotes, dust jackets, and other manuscripts documenting a three-month, 6,502-mile trip through the southern United...
- Contributor: Archive of American Folk Song - Lomax, Alan - Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Lomax, Ruby T. (Ruby Terrill)
- Date: 1934
Collection Items: View 895 Items
CollectionWilliam H. Taft Papers The papers of William Howard Taft (1857-1930), twenty-seventh president of the United States and tenth chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, consist of approximately 676,000 documents (785,977 images), which have been...
- Contributor: Taft, William Howard
Collection Items: View 1,143 Items
CollectionGeorge Brinton McClellan Papers The papers of U.S. Army officer and governor of New Jersey George Brinton McClellan (1826-1885) consist of 33,000 items (59,477 images), most of which were digitized from 82 reels of previously produced...
- Contributor: McClellan, Mary Ellen Marcy - McClellan, George (George Brinton) - Minter, Joseph F.
Collection Items: View 343 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, British The Prints and Photographs Division holds one of the largest collections of British political and satirical prints in America. The approximately 9,000 prints (approximately 8,500 distinct images) in the collection highlight British...
- Date: 1650
Collection Items: View 963 Items
CollectionMary Church Terrell Papers The papers of educator, lecturer, suffragist, and civil rights activist Mary Church Terrell (1863-1954) consist of approximately 13,000 documents, comprising 25,323 images, all of which were digitized from 34 reels of previously...
- Contributor: Terrell, Mary Church
Collection Items: View 767 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings Offers more than 9,000 original drawings for editorial cartoons, caricatures, and comic strips spanning the late 1700s to the present, primarily from 1880 to 1980. The cartoons cover people and events throughout...
- Contributor: Bartholomew, Charles Lewis - Mauldin, Bill - Johnson, Herbert - Frueh, Alfred Joseph - Berryman, Clifford Kennedy - Cesare, Oscar Edward - Kirby, Rollin - Crockett, Gib - Covarrubias, Miguel - Mahony, Felix - Conacher, John C. - Muḥaṣṣiṣ, Ardashīr - Kelly, Walt - Harrington, Oliver W. (Oliver Wendell)
- Date: 1794
Collection Items: View 5,895 Items
CollectionLook Collection The Look Magazine Photograph Collection is a vast photographic archive created to illustrate Look Magazine and related publications produced by companies founded by Gardner Cowles. The cataloged portion of the collection totals...
- Contributor: Cowles Communications, Inc
- Date: 1937
Collection Items: View 6,824 Items