CollectionCivil War Glass Negatives and Related Prints Provides access to about 7,000 different views and portraits made during the American Civil War (1861-1865) and its immediate aftermath. The images represent the original glass plate negatives made under the supervision...
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 8,728 Items
CollectionCivil War Maps Brings together materials from three premier collections: the Library of Congress Geography and Map Division, the Virginia Historical Society, and the Library of Virginia. Among the reconnaissance, sketch, and theater-of-war maps are...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Geography and Map Division - Virginia Historical Society - Library of Virginia
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 2,338 Items
CollectionAmerican Civil War Sesquicentennial Web Archive The American Civil War Sesquicentennial Web Archive is a collection of websites presenting various projects and events in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War. This anniversary is historically...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Researcher and Reference Services Division - Library of Congress
- Date: 2011
Collection Items: View 193 Items
CollectionPosters: Spanish Civil War Posters The collection consists of approximately 120 posters created between 1936 and 1939 during the Spanish Civil War. In July of 1936, Francisco Franco led a military coup with the goal of overthrowing...
- Contributor: F.A.I. (Organization : Spain) - Spain. Ministerio De Instrucción Pública Y Sanidad - Puyol, Ramón - Hinsberger, Aleix - Fontseré, Carles - Catalonia (Spain). Comissariat De Propaganda - Falange Española. Jefatura Nacional De Prensa Y Propaganda. Seccion Mural - Bardasano, José - Unión General De Trabajadores De España - Confederación Nacional Del Trabajo (Spain)
- Date: 1936
Collection Items: View 126 Items
CollectionBand Music from the Civil War Era On September 27, 1974, the Music Division of the Library of Congress re-created a typical concert of brass band and vocal music from mid-nineteenth-century America. That concert has become the starting-point for...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Music Division
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 54 Items
CollectionCivil War Explore the faces, places and events of the U.S. Civil War through photographs, prints and drawings. The Prints & Photographs Division holds thousands of images relating to the Civil War, found in...
- Contributor: O'Sullivan, Timothy H. - Brady, Mathew - Barnard, George N. - Gibson, James F. - Gardner, Alexander - Smith, William Morris
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 15,902 Items
CollectionLiljenquist Family Collection of Civil War Photographs More than 2,500 special portrait photographs, called ambrotypes and tintypes, and small card photos called cartes de visite represent both Union and Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War (1861-1865). The portraits...
- Contributor: Liljenquist, Christian Blaine - Liljenquist, Jason George - Liljenquist, Thomas Richard - Liljenquist, Brandon Paul
- Date: 1851
Collection Items: View 3,104 Items
CollectionCivil War Soldier in the Wild Cat Regiment : Selections from the Tilton C. Reynolds Papers Comprising 164 items (359 digital images), this online presentation includes correspondence, photographs, and other materials dating between 1861 and 1865 documenting the Civil War experience of Captain Tilton C. Reynolds, a member...
- Contributor: Reynolds, Tilton C. - Reynolds, Juliana Smith
Collection Items: View 174 Items
CollectionWashington During the Civil War: The Diary of Horatio Nelson Taft, 1861-1865 This collection represents three manuscript volumes that document daily life in Washington, D.C., through the eyes of U.S. Patent Office examiner Horatio Nelson Taft (1806-1888), including Taft's connection with Abraham Lincoln and...
- Contributor: Taft, Horatio Nelson - Brady, Mathew
Collection Items: View 8 Items
CollectionMary Ann Bickerdyke Papers The papers of Mary Ann Ball Bickerdyke (1817-1901), a Civil War nurse and agent for the United States Sanitary Commission who was known as "Mother Bickerdyke" to Union soldiers, consist of 1,800...
- Contributor: Bickerdyke, Mary Ann
Collection Items: View 97 Items
CollectionWilliam A. Gladstone Afro-American Military Collection The William A. Gladstone Afro-American Military Collection (ca. 500 items) spans the years 1773 to 1987, with the bulk of the material dating from the Civil War period, 1861-1865. The collection consists...
- Contributor: Gladstone, William A.
Collection Items: View 332 Items
CollectionGladstone Collection of African American Photographs The William A. Gladstone Collection of African American Photographs provides almost 350 images showing African Americans and related military and social history. The Civil War era is the primary time period covered,...
- Contributor: Gladstone, William A. - Kimball, M. H. - M'clees, Jas. E. (James E.) - Kellogg Brothers - Ball, James Presley - Paxson, Chas. (Charles) - Moore, Henry P. - McPherson & Oliver
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 329 Items
CollectionCharles Wellington Reed Papers, 1776 to 1926 The papers of Civil War soldier and artist Charles Wellington Reed (1841-1926) span the years 1776-1926, with the bulk of the material concentrated in the period 1862-1865, when he served with the...
- Contributor: Reed, Charles Wellington
Collection Items: View 36 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Stephens Papers The papers of Alexander Hamilton Stephens (1812-1883), lawyer, journalist, governor of Georgia, member of both houses of the United States Congress, and vice president of the Confederate States of America, span the...
- Contributor: Stephens, Alexander H. (Alexander Hamilton)
Collection Items: View 124 Items
CollectionLewis H. Machen Family Papers The Gresham family material in the Lewis H. Machen Family Papers consists of seven diaries kept by Georgia teenager LeRoy Wiley Gresham (1847-1865) during the Civil War, and approximately 550 items of...
- Contributor: Machen, James P. - Machen, Arthur Webster - Machen, Lewis H. (Lewis Henry) - Machen, Minnie Gresham - Machen, Emmeline - Gresham, Leroy Wiley - Machen, Caroline Webster
Collection Items: View 41 Items
CollectionHotchkiss Map Collection The Hotchkiss Map Collection contains cartographic items made by Major Jedediah Hotchkiss (1828-1899), a topographic engineer in the Confederate Army. Hotchkiss made detailed battle maps primarily of the Shenandoah Valley, some of...
- Date: 1828
Collection Items: View 349 Items
CollectionBrady-Handy Collection In 1954 the Library of Congress purchased from Alice H. Cox and Mary H. Evans, the daughters of Levin C. Handy approximately 10,000 original, duplicate, and copy negatives. The L.C. Handy Studio...
- Contributor: Handy, Levin C. (Levin Corbin) - Brady, Mathew
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 5,005 Items
CollectionJubal Anderson Early Papers The papers of United States and Confederate army officer, lawyer, and Virginia state legislator Jubal Anderson Early (1816-1894) consist of 5,000 items (5,368 images) in 18 containers. Spanning the years 1829-1930, the...
- Contributor: Early, Jubal Anderson
Collection Items: View 29 Items
CollectionBetty Herndon Maury Maury Papers The papers of diarist Betty Herndon Maury Maury (1835-1903) consist of a diary kept by Maury from June 3, 1861, to February 18, 1863. The two-volume diary was scanned from one reel...
- Contributor: Maury, Betty Herndon Maury
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 7 Items
CollectionWilliam T. Sherman Papers The papers of General William Tecumseh Sherman (1820-1891) span the years 1810-1897, with the bulk of the material originating between 1848 and 1891. They consist of approximately 18,000 items, most digitally scanned...
- Contributor: Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh)
Collection Items: View 173 Items
CollectionNathan W. Daniels Diary and Scrapbook The papers of Union army officer and Freedmen’s Bureau advocate Nathan W. Daniels (1836-1867), spanning the years 1861-1867, consist of three volumes of a handwritten diary with photographs, illustrations, and newspaper clippings...
- Contributor: Daniels, Nathan W. - Richmond, Cora L. V. (Cora Linn Victoria)
Collection Items: View 11 Items
CollectionVariety Stage Sound Recordings and Motion Pictures The 61 motion pictures in the Variety Stage Sound Recordings and Motion Pictures include animal acts, burlesque, dance, comic sketches, dramatic excerpts, dramatic sketches, physical culture acts, and tableaus. The films represented...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1996
Collection Items: View 81 Items
CollectionThe March King: John Philip Sousa Painting of Sousa during US Marine Band era, [n.d.]. Performing Arts Reading Room. An online presentation of selected music manuscripts, photographs, printed music, historical recordings of the Sousa Band, copies of programs...
- Contributor: Sousa, John Philip
- Date: 1854
Collection Items: View 711 Items
CollectionThaddeus Stevens Papers The papers of lawyer and United States representative from Pennsylvania Thaddeus Stevens (1792-1868) consist of 4,750 items (7,769 images) in eight containers and one oversize folder. The material spans the years 1811-1927,...
- Contributor: Stevens, Thaddeus
Collection Items: View 107 Items
CollectionGeorge Brinton McClellan Papers The papers of U.S. Army officer and governor of New Jersey George Brinton McClellan (1826-1885) consist of 33,000 items (59,477 images), most of which were digitized from 82 reels of previously produced...
- Contributor: McClellan, Mary Ellen Marcy - McClellan, George (George Brinton) - Minter, Joseph F.
Collection Items: View 343 Items
CollectionPhilip Henry Sheridan Papers The papers of army officer Philip Henry Sheridan (1831-1888) span the years 1853-1896, with the bulk of the material originating between 1862 and 1887. They consist of approximately 18,000 items digitally reproduced...
- Contributor: Sheridan, Philip Henry
Collection Items: View 760 Items
CollectionJedediah Hotchkiss Papers The papers of educator, Confederate cartographer and topographical engineer Jedediah Hotchkiss (1828-1899) span the years 1835-1908, with the bulk of the material dating from 1875 to 1898. They consist of approximately 20,000...
- Contributor: Rogers, William Barton - Hotchkiss, Jedediah - Hotchkiss, Sara Anne Comfort
Collection Items: View 662 Items
CollectionGideon Welles Papers The papers of Gideon Welles (1802-1878), newspaper editor and U.S. secretary of the navy under Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson, consist of 15,070 items (26,302 images), most of which were digitized...
- Contributor: Welles, Gideon - Learned, Henry Barrett - Welles, Edgar Thaddeus
Collection Items: View 364 Items
CollectionConfederate States of America Records The records of the Confederate States of America span the years 1854-1889, with the bulk of the material concentrated in the period 1861-1865, during the Civil War in America. The collection relates...
- Contributor: Confederate States of America. Post-Office Department - Confederate States of America. War Department - Confederate States of America. Department of the Treasury - Confederate States of America. Department of Justice - Confederate States of America - Confederate States of America. Army of Tennessee - Confederate States of America. Department of State - Wadsworth, James Wolcott - Confederate States of America. Navy
Collection Items: View 73 Items
CollectionEdwin McMasters Stanton Papers, 1818-1921 The papers of lawyer and Secretary of War Edwin McMasters Stanton (1814-1869) span the years 1818-1921, with the bulk of the material originating between 1862 and 1870. They consist of approximately 7,650...
- Contributor: Stanton, Edwin M. (Edwin McMasters)
Collection Items: View 56 Items
CollectionBy Popular Demand: Jackie Robinson and Other Baseball Highlights, 1860s-1960s 2007 marks the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's rookie season for the Brooklyn Dodgers. When he stepped onto Ebbets field on April 15th, 1947, Robinson became the first African American in the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 71 Items
CollectionAnna Maria Brodeau Thornton Papers The seven volumes of diaries and notebooks, 1793-1861, of Anna Maria Brodeau Thornton (ca.1775-1865) document her position at the center of a Washington, D.C., social circle that included George and Martha Washington,...
- Contributor: Thornton, Anna Maria Brodeau
Collection Items: View 12 Items
CollectionMusic for the Nation: American Sheet Music, ca. 1820-1860 Consists of over 15,000 pieces of sheet music registered for copyright during the years 1820 to 1860. This collection complements an earlier American Memory project, Music for the Nation: American Sheet Music...
- Date: 1820
Collection Items: View 15,146 Items
CollectionAnna E. Dickinson Papers The papers of lecturer, reformer, actress, and author Anna Elizabeth Dickinson (1842-1932) span the period 1859-1951, but are chiefly concentrated in the years from 1859 to 1911. The collection consists of approximately...
- Contributor: Dickinson, Anna E. (Anna Elizabeth)
Collection Items: View 404 Items
CollectionThe Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana The collection contains more than 11,100 items. This online release presents over 1,300 items with a over 4,000 images and a date range of 1824-1931. It includes the complete collection of Stern's...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana (Library of Congress) - Stern, Alfred Whital
- Date: 1824
Collection Items: View 1,541 Items