CollectionMontgomery C. Meigs Papers The papers of army officer, engineer, architect, and scientist Montgomery C. Meigs (1816-1892) consist of 11,000 items (39,635 images), most of which were digitized from 51 reels of previously produced microfilm. Spanning...
- Contributor: Meigs, Montgomery C. (Montgomery Cunningham) - Meigs, Montgomery
Collection Items: View 317 Items
CollectionMatthew Fontaine Maury Papers The papers of naval officer and oceanographer Matthew Fontaine Maury (1806-1873) consist of 14,650 items (22,151 images) scanned from original materials. Spanning the years 1825-1960, with the bulk concentrated in the period...
- Contributor: Coblentz, Catherine Cate - Smith, C. Alphonso (Charles Alphonso) - Maury, Matthew Fontaine
Collection Items: View 119 Items
CollectionScience Blogs Web Archive The Science Blogs Web Archive provides resources for scholars and others conducting research on science writing, research, teaching and communication, as well as scientific discourse in the United States. Science blogs are...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Library of Congress. Science, Technology, and Business Division
- Date: 2013
Collection Items: View 85 Items
CollectionMargaret Bayard Smith Papers The papers of Margaret Bayard Smith (1778-1844), author and leader in Washington, D.C., social and political circles during the first decades of the nineteenth century, span the years 1789-1874, with the bulk...
- Contributor: Smith, Margaret Bayard
Collection Items: View 96 Items
CollectionClara Barton Papers The papers of nurse, educator, philanthropist, and lecturer Clara Barton (1821-1912) consist of 62,000 items (81,608 images), most of which were digitized from 123 reels of previously produced microfilm. Spanning the years...
- Contributor: Hubbell, Julian B. (Julian Bertine) - Barton, Clara
- Date: 1805
Collection Items: View 975 Items
CollectionLewis H. Machen Family Papers The Gresham family material in the Lewis H. Machen Family Papers consists of seven diaries kept by Georgia teenager LeRoy Wiley Gresham (1847-1865) during the Civil War, and approximately 550 items of...
- Contributor: Machen, James P. - Machen, Arthur Webster - Machen, Lewis H. (Lewis Henry) - Machen, Minnie Gresham - Machen, Emmeline - Gresham, Leroy Wiley - Machen, Caroline Webster
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 41 Items
CollectionAndrew Johnson Papers The papers of vice president, senator, and representative Andrew Johnson (1808-1875), who became the seventeenth president of the Unites States in 1865 after Abraham Lincoln’s assassination, consist of 40,000 items (63,710 images),...
- Contributor: Johnson, Andrew - Moore, William G. (William George)
Collection Items: View 98 Items
CollectionBlackwell Family Papers The Blackwell Family Papers span the years 1759-1960, with the bulk of the material dating from 1845 to 1890. Consisting of approximately 29,000 items (58,002 images), most of which were digitized from...
- Contributor: Blackwell, Elizabeth - Blackwell, Kitty Barry - Stone, Lucy - Blackwell, Alice Stone - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division - Blackwell, Antoinette Louisa Brown - Blackwell, H. B. (Henry Browne) - Blackwell, Emily
Collection Items: View 2,313 Items
CollectionMary Church Terrell Papers The papers of educator, lecturer, suffragist, and civil rights activist Mary Church Terrell (1863-1954) consist of approximately 13,000 documents, comprising 25,323 images, all of which were digitized from 34 reels of previously...
- Contributor: Terrell, Mary Church
Collection Items: View 767 Items
CollectionAnna Maria Brodeau Thornton Papers The seven volumes of diaries and notebooks, 1793-1861, of Anna Maria Brodeau Thornton (ca.1775-1865) document her position at the center of a Washington, D.C., social circle that included George and Martha Washington,...
- Contributor: Thornton, Anna Maria Brodeau
Collection Items: View 12 Items
CollectionBlair Family Papers The papers of the Blair family, a prominent nineteenth-century political family, consist of 19,100 items (33,263 images) most of which were digitized from 49 reels of previously produced microfilm. Spanning the years...
- Contributor: Blair, Montgomery - Blair, Gist - Blair, Francis Preston - Blair, Frank P., (Francis Preston) - Blair, Woodbury - Clapp, Charles Q. - Stevens, Samuel - Woodbury, Levi
Collection Items: View 477 Items
CollectionTheodore Roosevelt Papers The papers of Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), public official, author, decorated veteran of the Spanish-American War, governor of New York, and president of the United States (1901-1909), consist of approximately 276,000 documents (roughly...
- Contributor: Roosevelt, Theodore - Roosevelt, Eleanor Butler
Collection Items: View 853 Items
CollectionGideon Welles Papers The papers of Gideon Welles (1802-1878), newspaper editor and U.S. secretary of the navy under Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson, consist of 15,070 items (26,302 images), most of which were digitized...
- Contributor: Welles, Gideon - Learned, Henry Barrett - Welles, Edgar Thaddeus
Collection Items: View 364 Items
CollectionJames A. Garfield Papers The papers of U.S. president, army officer, lawyer, and educator James A. Garfield (1831-1881) consist of approximately 80,000 items (200,083 images), most of which were digitized from 177 reels of previously produced...
- Contributor: Garfield, James A. (James Abram) - Stanley-Brown, Mary Garfield
Collection Items: View 488 Items
CollectionJames K. Polk Papers The papers of James K. Polk (1795-1849), governor of Tennessee, representative from Tennessee, Speaker of the House of Representatives, and eleventh president of the United States, contain approximately 20,500 items dating from...
- Contributor: Polk, Sarah Childress - Polk, James K. (James Knox)
Collection Items: View 231 Items
CollectionRobert Lansing Papers The private memoranda, desk diaries, and notes, 1915-1922, of diplomat and lawyer Robert Lansing (1864-1928) consist of 22 volumes (3,090 images) located in containers 63-67 of a larger collection of Lansing papers...
- Contributor: Lansing, Robert
Collection Items: View 24 Items
CollectionGeorge Washington Papers The papers of army officer and first U.S. president George Washington (1732-1799) held in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress constitute the largest collection of original Washington papers in the...
- Contributor: Washington, George
- Date: 1592
Collection Items: View 35,444 Items
CollectionAlexander Graham Bell Family Papers at the Library of Congress The collection contains over 145,000 items. The online version contains 4,695 items (equaling about 51,500 images), consists of correspondence, scientific notebooks, journals, blueprints, articles, and photographs documenting Bell's invention of the telephone...
- Contributor: Fairchild, Marian - Bell, Mabel Gardiner Hubbard - Bell, Alexander Graham - Hubbard, Gardiner G. (Gardiner Greene) - Bell, Alexander Melville
- Date: 1862
Collection Items: View 4,715 Items
CollectionAaron Copland Collection The first release of the online collection contains approximately 1,000 items that yield a total of about 5,000 images. These items date from 1899 to 1981, with most from the 1920s through...
- Contributor: Kraft, Victor - Copland, Aaron
- Date: 1841
Collection Items: View 982 Items
CollectionJedediah Hotchkiss Papers The papers of educator, Confederate cartographer and topographical engineer Jedediah Hotchkiss (1828-1899) span the years 1835-1908, with the bulk of the material dating from 1875 to 1898. They consist of approximately 20,000...
- Contributor: Rogers, William Barton - Hotchkiss, Jedediah - Hotchkiss, Sara Anne Comfort
Collection Items: View 662 Items
CollectionShippen Family Papers The papers of the Shippen family, a wealthy and powerful group of Philadelphians connected by blood and marriage who reached the height of their influence in the mid-eighteenth century, span the years...
- Contributor: Shippen, Edward - Shippen, Thomas Lee - Shippen, Alice Lee - Nicholson, Rebecca Lloyd - Nicholson, Joseph - Livingston, Anne Home Shippen - Nicholson, Joseph Hopper - Shippen, William
Collection Items: View 105 Items
CollectionNelson W. Aldrich Papers The files, 1908-1912, of the National Monetary Commission (2,362 items; 4,724 images) from the papers of U.S. representative and senator from Rhode Island Nelson W. Aldrich (1841-1915) are part of a larger...
- Contributor: Nichols, Jeannette Paddock - Aldrich, Nelson W. (Nelson Wilmarth) - United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on Finance - Stephenson, Nathaniel W. (Nathaniel Wright) - Aldrich, Abby Pearce Chapman
Collection Items: View 64 Items
CollectionFrederick Law Olmsted Papers The papers of farmer, writer, reformer, landscape architect, urban and suburban planner, and conservationist Frederick Law Olmsted (1822-1903) consist of approximately 24,000 items (roughly 47,300 images), most of which were digitized from...
- Contributor: Olmsted, Gideon - Olmsted, John - Olmsted, Frederick Law
Collection Items: View 741 Items
CollectionWilliam H. Taft Papers The papers of William Howard Taft (1857-1930), twenty-seventh president of the United States and tenth chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, consist of approximately 676,000 documents (785,977 images), which have been...
- Contributor: Taft, William Howard
Collection Items: View 1,143 Items
CollectionAmerican Colony in Jerusalem, 1870-2006 The papers of the American Colony in Jerusalem, a non-denominational utopian Christian community, consist of approximately 16,600 items, spanning the years 1786-2007, of which about three-fourths of the materials (50,288 images) have...
- Contributor: Spafford, Anna T. - Spafford, Horatio Gates - American Colony (Jerusalem) - Vester, Bertha Spafford
- Date: 1870
Collection Items: View 536 Items
CollectionBenjamin Harrison Papers The papers of U.S. senator from Indiana and U.S. Army officer Benjamin Harrison (1833-1901), who became the twenty-third president of the United States, consist of 69,600 items (178,479 images), most of which...
- Contributor: Harrison, Benjamin
Collection Items: View 189 Items