CollectionJazz on the Screen Filmography Jazz on the Screen is a reference work of filmographic information and does not point to digitized versions of the items described.
Collection Items: View 6 Items
CollectionWilliam P. Gottlieb Collection In 1995 this collection was purchased with financial support from the Ira and Leonore S. Gershwin Fund. The collection consists of jazz photographs taken by writer-photographer William P. Gottlieb, from 1938 to...
- Contributor: Gottlieb, William P.
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 1,496 Items
CollectionThe Gerry Mulligan Collection [Portrait of Gerry Mulligan, ca. 1980s] by William P. Gottlieb. Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress. As a saxophonist, composer, arranger and band leader, Gerry Mulligan (1927-1996) is a jazz legend....
- Contributor: Grusin, Dave - Mandel, Johnny - Cohn, AL - Dankworth, John - Boras, Tom - Handy, George - Forman, Mitchel - McFarland, Gary - Mulligan, Gerry - Holman, Bill - Lee, Julian - Brookmeyer, Bob
- Date: 1940
Collection Items: View 151 Items
CollectionAmerican Music Creators Web Archive The American Music Creators Web Archive is a collection of websites of musicians, performers, and composers contributing to the American music scene. The collection strives to be representative of all genres of...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
- Date: 2018
Collection Items: View 69 Items
CollectionWorld War I Sheet Music From 1914 through 1920 the Library of Congress acquired over 14,000 pieces of sheet music relating to what ultimately became known as the First World War, with the greatest number coming from...
- Date: 1914
Collection Items: View 13,986 Items
CollectionRagtime Ragtime, a uniquely American, syncopated musical phenomenon, has been a strong presence in musical composition, entertainment, and scholarship for over a century. See, hear, explore and learn!
- Date: 1890
Collection Items: View 189 Items
CollectionSelections from the Katherine Dunham Collection [Katherine Dunham, dancer, three-quarter length portrait] (top to bottom) Katherine Dunham as Woman with a Cigar from Tropics, by Alfredo Valenti; Katherine Dunham in the 1940 Broadway hit production of Cabin in...
- Contributor: Dunham, Katherine
- Date: 1920
Collection Items: View 125 Items
CollectionNow What a Time: Blues, Gospel, and the Fort Valley Music Festivals, 1938-1943 Consists of approximately one hundred sound recordings, primarily blues and gospel songs, and related documentation from the folk festival at Fort Valley State College (now Fort Valley State University), Fort Valley, Georgia....
- Contributor: Bond, James - Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Peach County, Ga.). Choir - Richardson, Zema - Thomas, John Lee - Holloway High School Quartet - Winrow, Anthony - Parker, Cleve - Fisk University - Ezell, Buster - Smith Band (Musical Group) ... Bond, James - Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Peach County, Ga.). Choir - Richardson, Zema - Thomas, John Lee - Holloway High School Quartet - Winrow, Anthony - Parker, Cleve - Fisk University - Ezell, Buster - Smith Band (Musical Group) - Gibson, Gus - Ellis, Charles - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Stripling, Sidney - Mathis, Allison - Turner, Oscar - Monch, Matthew - Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Turner, Alma - Turner, Monroe - Chastain, Will - Bond, Edward - Chestain, Sonny - Ford, T. J. - Jackson, Deacon Sam - Heavenly Gate Quartet - Gaines, Elwood - Gregory, Richard - Johnson, Warren G. - Traveller Home Singers - Spiritual Four Quartet - Ford, Osa
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 181 Items
CollectionFederal Theatre Project, 1935 to 1939 This online presentation includes items selected from the Federal Theatre Project Collection at the Library of Congress. Featured here are stage and costume designs, photographs, posters, playbills, programs, and playscripts, including productions...
- Contributor: Gottlieb, William P.
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 9,812 Items
CollectionBlue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project The Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project was conducted by the American Folklife Center in cooperation with the National Park Service. Ten folklorists from the American Folklife Center conducted fieldwork in August and...
- Contributor: Mullen, Patrick B. - Richardson, Larry - Bryan, Mamie - Jarrell, Tommy - Severt, Carrie - Wolfe, Charles K. - Owen, Blanton - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - United States. National Park Service - Todd, Zenna ... Mullen, Patrick B. - Richardson, Larry - Bryan, Mamie - Jarrell, Tommy - Severt, Carrie - Wolfe, Charles K. - Owen, Blanton - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - United States. National Park Service - Todd, Zenna - Marshall, Howard W. - Owen, Margaret Counts - Wilson, Joe - Shockley, Maggie - Jabbour, Alan - Choate, Donna - Eiler, Terry - Fleischhauer, Carl - American Folklife Center - Johnson, Geraldine Niva - Adler, Thomas A. - Patton, Ila - Ray, Roxie - Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project - Eiler, Lyntha Scott - Cruise, Crystal - Stanley, Lura
- Date: 1977
Collection Items: View 2,103 Items
CollectionAmazing Grace This collection highlights the history of the hymn “Amazing Grace” from the earliest printing of the song to selected performances of it on published and field recordings. These items have been collected...
- Date: 1930
Collection Items: View 51 Items
CollectionLibrary of Congress Concerts The Library of Congress Music Division has presented one of the world's most distinguished concert series for nearly ninety years. The concert webcasts featured on this site provide an introduction to the...
Collection Items: View 49 Items
CollectionAssociated Press News Dispatches, 1915-1930 The collection of news dispatches of the Washington, D.C., Bureau of the Associated Press spans the period 1915-1930 and consists of 375 volumes (387,082 images), housed in 254 boxes, the contents of...
- Contributor: Associated Press. Washington Bureau
Collection Items: View 380 Items
CollectionJoe Smith Joe Smith with Richard Perry photo: Sandy Gibson More than 25 years ago, retired music executive Joe Smith accomplished a Herculean feat—he got more than 200 celebrated singers, musicians and industry icons...
- Date: 1985
Collection Items: View 199 Items
CollectionLomax Collection The collection includes 400 snapshot photographs made in the course of sound recording expeditions carried out by John Avery Lomax, Alan Lomax, and Ruby Terrill Lomax, between 1934 and ca. 1950 for...
- Contributor: Archive of American Folk Song - Lomax, Alan - Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Lomax, Ruby T. (Ruby Terrill)
- Date: 1934
Collection Items: View 451 Items