CollectionThe Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America See and Hear American History Through Song "Know the songs of a country and you will know its history for the true feeling of a people speaks through what they sing."
- Date: 1581
Collection Items: View 51,456 Items
CollectionMusic for the Nation: American Sheet Music, ca. 1870-1885 Consists of over 47,000 pieces of sheet music registered for copyright during the years 1870 to 1885. Included are popular songs, piano music, sacred and secular choral music, solo instrumental music, method...
- Date: 1870
Collection Items: View 47,574 Items
CollectionMusic for the Nation: American Sheet Music, ca. 1820-1860 Consists of over 15,000 pieces of sheet music registered for copyright during the years 1820 to 1860. This collection complements an earlier American Memory project, Music for the Nation: American Sheet Music...
- Date: 1820
Collection Items: View 15,479 Items
CollectionHistoric Sheet Music Collection, 1800-1922 Pictured above, Cover art for for "Alice's reverie, op. 18," by J.P. Melmoth, published by Chas. W. Held, New York, 1890. This sheet music collection consists of approximately 9,000 items published from...
- Date: 1800
Collection Items: View 7,820 Items
CollectionAmerica Singing: Nineteenth-Century Song Sheets Contains 4291 song sheets. Included among these American songs are ninety-seven British song sheets from Dublin and London. The collection spans the period from the turn of the nineteenth century to the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Rare Book and Special Collections Division
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 4,293 Items
CollectionBand Music from the Civil War Era On September 27, 1974, the Music Division of the Library of Congress re-created a typical concert of brass band and vocal music from mid-nineteenth-century America. That concert has become the starting-point for...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Music Division
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 54 Items
CollectionHome Sweet Home: Life in Nineteenth-Century Ohio Before the age of radio, television, and other electronic diversions, families made their own entertainment in the home by playing games, reading aloud, performing plays, and, of course, by making music. Children...
- Date: 1800
Collection Items: View 41 Items
CollectionFinding Our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond A thematic collection exploring changing models of the universe through time, ideas of life on other words and Carl Sagan’s place in the tradition of science. It features manuscripts, rare books, celestial...
- Contributor: Druyan, Ann - Sagan, Carl - Macfarlane, Seth
- Date: 1495
Collection Items: View 351 Items
CollectionIrving Fine Collection, ca. 1914-1962 The career of Irving Fine (1914-1962), composer, conductor, writer, and academic, is documented in the Library of Congress Music Division by approximately 4,350 items from the Irving Fine Collection. Comprising manuscript and...
- Contributor: Fine, Irving
- Date: 1930
Collection Items: View 80 Items
CollectionThe Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana The collection contains more than 11,100 items. This online release presents more than 1,300 items with more than 4,000 images and a date range of 1824-1931. It includes the complete collection of...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana (Library of Congress) - Stern, Alfred Whital
- Date: 1824
Collection Items: View 1,535 Items
CollectionThe Gerry Mulligan Collection [Portrait of Gerry Mulligan, ca. 1980s] by William P. Gottlieb. Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress. As a saxophonist, composer, arranger and band leader, Gerry Mulligan (1927-1996) is a jazz legend....
- Contributor: Grusin, Dave - Mandel, Johnny - Cohn, AL - Dankworth, John - Boras, Tom - Handy, George - Forman, Mitchel - McFarland, Gary - Mulligan, Gerry - Holman, Bill - Lee, Julian - Brookmeyer, Bob
- Date: 1940
Collection Items: View 151 Items
CollectionDayton C. Miller Collection The collection contains nearly 1,700 flutes and other wind instruments, statuary, iconography, books, music, trade catalogs, tutors, patents, and other materials mostly related to the flute. It includes both Western and nonwestern...
- Contributor: Miller, Dayton Clarence
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 2,635 Items
CollectionAaron Copland Collection The first release of the online collection contains approximately 1,000 items that yield a total of about 5,000 images. These items date from 1899 to 1981, with most from the 1920s through...
- Contributor: Kraft, Victor - Copland, Aaron
- Date: 1841
Collection Items: View 982 Items
CollectionThe Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine Collection Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine in London American actor, singer and comedian Danny Kaye arrives with his wife, Sylvia Fine, for an appearance in London. November 1948. Following the professional lives of...
- Contributor: Dena Pictures, Inc - McDowall, Roddy - Fine, Sylvia - Halsman, Philippe - Kaye, Danny - Kaye (Danny)/FINE (Sylvia) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 2,054 Items
CollectionJohn A. Lomax and Alan Lomax Papers John A. Lomax, Sr., and his son Alan Lomax became stewards of a nascent Archive of American Folk-Song in September 1933. Their tenure lasted until Alan separated from the Library of Congress...
- Contributor: Archive of American Folk Song - Lomax, Alan - Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Library of Congress. Music Division
- Date: 1907
Collection Items: View 415 Items
CollectionNew Mexico Folklife Project Collection The New Mexico Folklife Project was conducted by Carl Fleischhauer of the American Folklife Center, in the summers of 1984 and 1985. In 1984, the effort supported the work of the folklorist...
- Contributor: Kalb, Laurie Beth - New Mexico. Historic Preservation Division - Museum of International Folk Art (N.M.) - Fleischhauer, Carl - Pratt, Boyd C. - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1984
Collection Items: View 112 Items
CollectionBlue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project The Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project was conducted by the American Folklife Center in cooperation with the National Park Service. Ten folklorists from the American Folklife Center conducted fieldwork in August and...
- Contributor: Mullen, Patrick B. - Richardson, Larry - Bryan, Mamie - Jarrell, Tommy - Severt, Carrie - Wolfe, Charles K. - Owen, Blanton - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - United States. National Park Service - Todd, Zenna ... Mullen, Patrick B. - Richardson, Larry - Bryan, Mamie - Jarrell, Tommy - Severt, Carrie - Wolfe, Charles K. - Owen, Blanton - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - United States. National Park Service - Todd, Zenna - Marshall, Howard W. - Owen, Margaret Counts - Wilson, Joe - Shockley, Maggie - Jabbour, Alan - Choate, Donna - Eiler, Terry - Fleischhauer, Carl - American Folklife Center - Johnson, Geraldine Niva - Adler, Thomas A. - Patton, Ila - Ray, Roxie - Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project - Eiler, Lyntha Scott - Cruise, Crystal - Stanley, Lura
- Date: 1977
Collection Items: View 2,103 Items
CollectionFederal Theatre Project, 1935 to 1939 This online presentation includes items selected from the Federal Theatre Project Collection at the Library of Congress. Featured here are stage and costume designs, photographs, posters, playbills, programs, and playscripts, including productions...
- Contributor: Gottlieb, William P.
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 9,812 Items
CollectionPinelands Folklife Project The Pinelands Folklife Project collection represents the culmination of a three-year effort to identify and record the cultural traditions in and around the Pinelands National Reserve in the Pine Barrens region of...
- Contributor: Thatcher, Elaine - Morgan, Elizabeth M. - Orr, Jay - Sinton, John W. - Parsons, Gerald E. - Pinelands Folklife Project (N.J.) - Ridgway, Arlene Martin - Tweed, Stewart M. - Ridgway, Merce - Little, Silas ... Thatcher, Elaine - Morgan, Elizabeth M. - Orr, Jay - Sinton, John W. - Parsons, Gerald E. - Pinelands Folklife Project (N.J.) - Ridgway, Arlene Martin - Tweed, Stewart M. - Ridgway, Merce - Little, Silas - Pinelands Cultural Society - Cervetto, Jack - Moonsammy, Rita Zorn - Cartwright, Christine A. - Fleischhauer, Carl - American Folklife Center - Cohen, David Steven - Rubinstein, Nora J. (Nora Jane) - Vivian, V. Eugene - McDonald, Dennis - Samuelson, Sue - Carroll, Thomas Deblasio - Czarnecki, Joseph P. - Glassie, Henry - O'Connor, Bonnie Blair - Shourds, Harry V. - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - O'Connor, Malachi - Hunn, Eugene S. - Lund, Jens - Pinehawkers (Musical Group) - Hufford, Mary - New Jersey. Pinelands Commission
- Date: 1983
Collection Items: View 1,325 Items
CollectionLowell Folklife Project Collection The Lowell Folklife Project was conducted in 1987-1988 as a cooperative project of the American Folklife Center and the Lowell Historic Preservation Commission, with support from the Massachusetts Council on the Arts...
- Contributor: Rankin, Tom - Taylor, David Alan - Lowell Historic Preservation Commission (U.S.) - Wachs, Eleanor F. - Lueders-Booth, John - Bell, Michael Edward - University of Lowell - American Folklife Center - Bartis, Peter - United States. National Park Service ... Rankin, Tom - Taylor, David Alan - Lowell Historic Preservation Commission (U.S.) - Wachs, Eleanor F. - Lueders-Booth, John - Bell, Michael Edward - University of Lowell - American Folklife Center - Bartis, Peter - United States. National Park Service - Norkunas, Martha K. - Fleischhauer, Carl - Lowell National Historical Park (Lowell, Mass.) - Fertig, Barbara C. - Refugee Arts Group - Montaño, Mario - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - DeNatale, Douglas - Massachusetts Council on the Arts and Humanities
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 1,140 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, American This assemblage of more than 800 prints made in America during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries encompasses several forms of political art. Most of the prints are from the division's PC/US series,...
- Contributor: Baillie, James S. - Maurer, Louis - Magee, John L. - Bucholzer, H. - Currier & Ives - Currier, Nathaniel - Childs, John - Clay, Edward Williams - Robinson, Henry R.
- Date: 1766
Collection Items: View 806 Items
CollectionGladstone Collection of African American Photographs The William A. Gladstone Collection of African American Photographs provides almost 350 images showing African Americans and related military and social history. The Civil War era is the primary time period covered,...
- Contributor: Gladstone, William A. - Kimball, M. H. - M'clees, Jas. E. (James E.) - Kellogg Brothers - Ball, James Presley - Paxson, Chas. (Charles) - Moore, Henry P. - McPherson & Oliver
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 333 Items
CollectionAlexander Graham Bell Family Papers at the Library of Congress The collection contains over 145,000 items. The online version contains 4,695 items (equaling about 51,500 images), consists of correspondence, scientific notebooks, journals, blueprints, articles, and photographs documenting Bell's invention of the telephone...
- Contributor: Fairchild, Marian - Bell, Mabel Gardiner Hubbard - Bell, Alexander Graham - Hubbard, Gardiner G. (Gardiner Greene) - Bell, Alexander Melville
- Date: 1862
Collection Items: View 4,715 Items
CollectionAmerican Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1940 This collection of life histories consists of approximately 2,900 documents, compiled and transcribed by more than 300 writers from 24 states, working on the Folklore Project of the Federal Writers’ Project, a...
- Contributor: Writers' Program (U.S.) - Federal Writers' Project - United States. Works Progress Administration - United States. Work Projects Administration
- Date: 1936
Collection Items: View 2,838 Items
CollectionWilliam McKinley Papers The papers of army officer, U.S. representative, and governor of Ohio William McKinley (1843-1901), who became the twenty-fifth president of the United States, consist of 131,000 items (121,435 images) most of which...
- Contributor: McKinley, William
Collection Items: View 250 Items