CollectionBorn in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 contains more than 2,300 first-person accounts of slavery and 500 black-and-white photographs of former slaves. These narratives were collected in the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Federal Writers' Project - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 603 Items
CollectionAmerican Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1940 This collection of life histories consists of approximately 2,900 documents, compiled and transcribed by more than 300 writers from 24 states, working on the Folklore Project of the Federal Writers’ Project, a...
- Contributor: Writers' Program (U.S.) - Federal Writers' Project - United States. Works Progress Administration - United States. Work Projects Administration
Collection Items: View 2,847 Items
CollectionVoices Remembering Slavery: Freed People Tell Their Stories The recordings of former slaves in Voices Remembering Slavery: Freed People Tell Their Stories took place between 1932 and 1975 in nine states. Twenty-three interviewees discuss how they felt about slavery, slaveholders,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2004
Collection Items: View 69 Items
CollectionLomax Collection The collection includes 400 snapshot photographs made in the course of sound recording expeditions carried out by John Avery Lomax, Alan Lomax, and Ruby Terrill Lomax, between 1934 and ca. 1950 for...
- Contributor: Archive of American Folk Song - Lomax, Alan - Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Lomax, Ruby T. (Ruby Terrill)
- Date: 1934
Collection Items: View 451 Items
CollectionCarnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South Noted architectural photographer Frances Benjamin Johnston (1864-1952) created a systematic record of early American buildings and gardens called the Carnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South (CSAS). This collection, created primarily...
- Contributor: Carnegie Corporation of New York - Johnston, Frances Benjamin
- Date: 1864
Collection Items: View 6,965 Items