CollectionBorn in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 contains more than 2,300 first-person accounts of slavery and 500 black-and-white photographs of former slaves. These narratives were collected in the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Federal Writers' Project - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 603 Items
CollectionAfrican American Perspectives: Materials Selected from the Rare Book Collection "African American Perspectives" gives a panoramic and eclectic review of African American history and culture and is primarily comprised of two collections in the Rare Book and Special Collections Division: the African...
- Date: 1875
Collection Items: View 864 Items
CollectionVoices Remembering Slavery: Freed People Tell Their Stories The recordings of former slaves in Voices Remembering Slavery: Freed People Tell Their Stories took place between 1932 and 1975 in nine states. Twenty-three interviewees discuss how they felt about slavery, slaveholders,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2004
Collection Items: View 69 Items
CollectionFrederick Douglass Papers at the Library of Congress The Frederick Douglass Papers at the Library of Congress presents the papers of the nineteenth-century African American abolitionist who escaped from slavery and then risked his freedom by becoming an outspoken antislavery...
- Contributor: Douglass, Helen - Douglass, Frederick
Collection Items: View 1,013 Items
CollectionSlaves and the Courts, 1740-1860 This collection consists of 105 library books and manuscripts, totalling approximately 8,700 pages drawn principally from the Law Library and the Rare Book and Special Collections Division of the Library of Congress,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Law Library - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Rare Book and Special Collections Division
- Date: 2002
Collection Items: View 109 Items
CollectionWilliam A. Gladstone Afro-American Military Collection The William A. Gladstone Afro-American Military Collection (ca. 500 items) spans the years 1773 to 1987, with the bulk of the material dating from the Civil War period, 1861-1865. The collection consists...
- Contributor: Gladstone, William A.
Collection Items: View 332 Items
CollectionCivil War Soldier in the Wild Cat Regiment : Selections from the Tilton C. Reynolds Papers Comprising 164 items (359 digital images), this online presentation includes correspondence, photographs, and other materials dating between 1861 and 1865 documenting the Civil War experience of Captain Tilton C. Reynolds, a member...
- Contributor: Reynolds, Tilton C. - Reynolds, Juliana Smith
Collection Items: View 174 Items
CollectionMillard Fillmore Papers The papers of Millard Fillmore (1800-1874), educator, U.S. representative from New York, vice president, and thirteenth president of the United States, contain approximately thirty-five items spanning the years 1839-1925, with the bulk...
- Contributor: Fillmore, Millard
Collection Items: View 20 Items
CollectionLibrary of Congress Websites Web Archive The Library of Congress Websites Web Archive is a collection of websites representing the Library's online presence. Some archived URLs map to specific parts of the organization, for example the American Folklife...
- Contributor: Library of Congress
- Date: 2016
Collection Items: View 86 Items
CollectionThe Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana The collection contains more than 11,100 items. This online release presents more than 1,300 items with more than 4,000 images and a date range of 1824-1931. It includes the complete collection of...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana (Library of Congress) - Stern, Alfred Whital
- Date: 1824
Collection Items: View 1,661 Items
CollectionFrederick Law Olmsted Papers The papers of farmer, writer, reformer, landscape architect, urban and suburban planner, and conservationist Frederick Law Olmsted (1822-1903) consist of approximately 24,000 items (roughly 47,300 images), most of which were digitized from...
- Contributor: Olmsted, Gideon - Olmsted, John - Olmsted, Frederick Law
Collection Items: View 741 Items
CollectionGideon Welles Papers The papers of Gideon Welles (1802-1878), newspaper editor and U.S. secretary of the navy under Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson, consist of 15,070 items (26,302 images), most of which were digitized...
- Contributor: Welles, Gideon - Learned, Henry Barrett - Welles, Edgar Thaddeus
Collection Items: View 364 Items
CollectionElizabeth Cady Stanton Papers The papers of suffragist, reformer, and feminist theorist Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1815-1902) cover the years 1814 to 1946, with most of the material concentrated between 1840 and 1902. Consisting of approximately 1,000...
- Contributor: Stanton, Elizabeth Cady
Collection Items: View 169 Items
CollectionMaps of Liberia, 1830-1870 This collection of Liberia maps includes twenty examples from the American Colonization Society (ACS), organized in 1817 to resettle free black Americans in West Africa. These maps show early settlements in Liberia,...
- Contributor: American Colonization Society - Library of Congress. Geography and Map Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 30 Items
CollectionJames K. Polk Papers The papers of James K. Polk (1795-1849), governor of Tennessee, representative from Tennessee, Speaker of the House of Representatives, and eleventh president of the United States, contain approximately 20,500 items dating from...
- Contributor: Polk, Sarah Childress - Polk, James K. (James Knox)
Collection Items: View 231 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Stephens Papers The papers of Alexander Hamilton Stephens (1812-1883), lawyer, journalist, governor of Georgia, member of both houses of the United States Congress, and vice president of the Confederate States of America, span the...
- Contributor: Stephens, Alexander H. (Alexander Hamilton)
Collection Items: View 124 Items
CollectionSusan B. Anthony Papers The papers of reformer and suffragist Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906) span the period 1846-1934 with the bulk of the material dating from 1846 to 1906. The collection, consisting of approximately 500 items...
- Contributor: Anthony, Mary S. - Anthony, Susan B. (Susan Brownell)
Collection Items: View 56 Items
CollectionThaddeus Stevens Papers The papers of lawyer and United States representative from Pennsylvania Thaddeus Stevens (1792-1868) consist of 4,750 items (7,769 images) in eight containers and one oversize folder. The material spans the years 1811-1927,...
- Contributor: Stevens, Thaddeus
Collection Items: View 107 Items
CollectionWilliam Henry Harrison Papers The William Henry Harrison Papers, one of twenty-three presidential collections in the Library of Congress Manuscript Division, contains approximately 1,000 items dating from 1734 to 1939, with the bulk dated from 1812...
- Contributor: Cleaves, Freeman - Harrison, William Henry
Collection Items: View 25 Items
CollectionLewis H. Machen Family Papers The Gresham family material in the Lewis H. Machen Family Papers consists of seven diaries kept by Georgia teenager LeRoy Wiley Gresham (1847-1865) during the Civil War, and approximately 550 items of...
- Contributor: Machen, James P. - Machen, Arthur Webster - Machen, Lewis H. (Lewis Henry) - Machen, Minnie Gresham - Machen, Emmeline - Gresham, Leroy Wiley - Machen, Caroline Webster
Collection Items: View 41 Items
CollectionAmerican Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1940 This collection of life histories consists of approximately 2,900 documents, compiled and transcribed by more than 300 writers from 24 states, working on the Folklore Project of the Federal Writers’ Project, a...
- Contributor: Writers' Program (U.S.) - Federal Writers' Project - United States. Works Progress Administration - United States. Work Projects Administration
Collection Items: View 2,847 Items
CollectionOmar Ibn Said Collection The Omar Ibn Said Collection consists of 42 digitized documents in both English and Arabic, including an 1831 manuscript in Arabic on "The Life of Omar Ibn Said," a West African slave...
- Contributor: Cotheal, Alexander Isaac - Kebe, Lamine - American Bible Society - See, Sheikh Sana - Thomson, William Hanna - Bird, Isaac - American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions - Dukur, Muḥammad - Beard, Derrick Joshua - Library of Congress. African and Middle Eastern Division ... Cotheal, Alexander Isaac - Kebe, Lamine - American Bible Society - See, Sheikh Sana - Thomson, William Hanna - Bird, Isaac - American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions - Dukur, Muḥammad - Beard, Derrick Joshua - Library of Congress. African and Middle Eastern Division - American Ethnological Society - Said, Omar Ibn - Library of Congress. Rare Book and Special Collections Division - Dwight, Theodore - Omar Ibn Said Collection (Library of Congress) - Rothman, Adam
- Date: 1741
Collection Items: View 46 Items
CollectionPrinted Ephemera: Three Centuries of Broadsides and Other Printed Ephemera The collection contains, among other materials, posters, playbills, songsheets, notices, invitations, proclamations, petitions, timetables, leaflets, propaganda, manifestos, ballots, tickets, menus, and business cards. There are more than 28,000 items in the collection...
- Contributor: Printed Ephemera Collection (Library of Congress) - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Rare Book and Special Collections Division
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 17,985 Items
CollectionMartin Van Buren Papers, 1787 to 1910 The Martin Van Buren Papers, one of twenty-three presidential collections in the Library of Congress Manuscript Division, contains more than 6,000 items dating from 1787 to circa 1910. The bulk of the...
- Contributor: Van Buren, Martin - Van Buren, John
Collection Items: View 213 Items
CollectionBlair Family Papers The papers of the Blair family, a prominent nineteenth-century political family, consist of 19,100 items (33,263 images) most of which were digitized from 49 reels of previously produced microfilm. Spanning the years...
- Contributor: Blair, Montgomery - Blair, Gist - Blair, Francis Preston - Blair, Frank P., (Francis Preston) - Blair, Woodbury - Clapp, Charles Q. - Stevens, Samuel - Woodbury, Levi
Collection Items: View 477 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, American This assemblage of more than 500 prints made in America during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries encompasses several forms of political art. Most of the prints are from the division's PC/US series,...
- Contributor: Baillie, James S. - Maurer, Louis - Magee, John L. - Bucholzer, H. - Currier & Ives - Currier, Nathaniel - Childs, John - Clay, Edward Williams - Robinson, Henry R.
- Date: 1766
Collection Items: View 822 Items
CollectionAnna E. Dickinson Papers The papers of lecturer, reformer, actress, and author Anna Elizabeth Dickinson (1842-1932) span the period 1859-1951, but are chiefly concentrated in the years from 1859 to 1911. The collection consists of approximately...
- Contributor: Dickinson, Anna E. (Anna Elizabeth)
Collection Items: View 404 Items
CollectionWalt Whitman Papers in the Charles E. Feinberg Collection The papers of poet Walt Whitman (1819-1892) in the Charles E. Feinberg Collection consist of approximately 28,000 items spanning from 1763 to 1985. The bulk of the items date from the 1840s...
Collection Items: View 2,932 Items
CollectionJames Buchanan and Harriet Lane Johnston Papers The papers of James Buchanan (1791-1868), representative and senator of Pennsylvania, secretary of state, and fifteenth president of the United States, and those of his niece and White House hostess Harriet Lane...
- Contributor: Buchanan, James - Johnston, Harriet Lane
Collection Items: View 65 Items
CollectionSamuel F. B. Morse Papers at the Library of Congress, 1793-1919 Approximately 6,500 items from the Samuel F. B. Morse Papers in the Manuscript Division at the Library of Congress have been digitized, including correspondence, diaries, printed matter, maps, drawings and miscellany. These...
- Contributor: Clausing, Ludwig - Morse, Samuel Finley Breese - Magnetic Telegraph Company
Collection Items: View 142 Items
CollectionBlackwell Family Papers The Blackwell Family Papers span the years 1759-1960, with the bulk of the material dating from 1845 to 1890. Consisting of approximately 29,000 items (58,002 images), most of which were digitized from...
- Contributor: Blackwell, Henry Browne - Blackwell, Elizabeth - Blackwell, Kitty Barry - Stone, Lucy - Blackwell, Alice Stone - Blackwell, Antoinette Louisa Brown - Blackwell, Emily
Collection Items: View 2,313 Items
CollectionHerndon-Weik Collection of Lincolniana The Herndon-Weik Collection of Lincolniana consists of 4,600 items (9,729 images), most of which were digitized from 15 reels of previously produced microfilm. Spanning the years circa 1824-1933, the collection contains papers...
- Contributor: Weik, Jesse William - Herndon, William Henry - Lincoln, Abraham
Collection Items: View 72 Items