CollectionClara Barton Papers The papers of nurse, educator, philanthropist, and lecturer Clara Barton (1821-1912) consist of 62,000 items (81,608 images), most of which were digitized from 123 reels of previously produced microfilm. Spanning the years...
- Contributor: Barton, Clara
Collection Items: View 939 Items
CollectionCollege Women's Association of Japan Print Show Collection More than 180 artists living and working in Japan created the 212 fine art prints in the College Women's Association of Japan Print Show Collection. The prints, dating primarily from 2003 to...
- Contributor: College Women's Association of Japan
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 214 Items
CollectionConfederate States of America Records The records of the Confederate States of America span the years 1854-1889, with the bulk of the material concentrated in the period 1861-1865, during the Civil War in America. The collection relates...
- Contributor: Confederate States of America - Wadsworth, James Wolcott - Confederate States of America. Army of Tennessee - Confederate States of America. Department of Justice - Confederate States of America. Department of State - Confederate States of America. Department of the Treasury - Confederate States of America. Navy - Confederate States of America. Post-Office Department - Confederate States of America. War Department
Collection Items: View 73 Items
CollectionCoptic Orthodox Liturgical Chant and Hymnody With its roots in Ancient Egyptian music, Coptic Christian chant is one of the oldest liturgical genres still performed today. Drawing on the Ragheb Moftah Collection, this presentation explores some of the...
- Contributor: Moftah, Ragheb - Newlandsmith, Ernest - Tóth, Margit - Wilson, Marian Robertson
- Date: 1926
Collection Items: View 367 Items
CollectionCrisis in Darfur 2006 Web Archive Collection Period: February 20, 2006 to December 5, 2006. Described by the United Nations as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, the current conflict in Sudan’s western region of Darfur began in early...
- Contributor: Library of Congress
- Date: 2006
Collection Items: View 241 Items
CollectionCurtis (Edward S.) Collection The Curtis collection consists of more than 2,400 silver-gelatin, first generation photographic prints--some of which are sepia-toned--made from Curtis's original glass negatives. Most of the photographic prints are 5" x 7" although...
- Contributor: Curtis, Edward S.
- Date: 1899
Collection Items: View 1,074 Items
CollectionDaguerreotypes There are approximately 700 daguerreotypes in the Prints & Photographs Division. The majority of the images are portraits, but the collection does include a few early architectural views, outdoor scenes, and copies...
- Contributor: Anson, Rufus - Brady, Mathew - Cornelius, Robert - Washington, Augustus
- Date: 1839
Collection Items: View 861 Items
CollectionThe Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine Collection Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine in London American actor, singer and comedian Danny Kaye arrives with his wife, Sylvia Fine, for an appearance in London. November 1948. Following the professional lives of...
- Contributor: Kaye, Danny - Fine, Sylvia - Halsman, Philippe - McDowall, Roddy - Dena Pictures, Inc - Kaye (Danny)/Fine (Sylvia) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 2,054 Items
CollectionDayton C. Miller Collection The collection contains nearly 1,700 flutes and other wind instruments, statuary, iconography, books, music, trade catalogs, tutors, patents, and other materials mostly related to the flute. It includes both Western and nonwestern...
- Contributor: Miller, Dayton Clarence
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 1,973 Items
CollectionDepartment of Defense Annual Reports (1948-1996) and Military Branch Budget Justification Books (1980-1996) This collection consists of: Department of Defense Annual Reports (1948-1996) and military service branch Justification of Estimates Books, "J-Books" (1980-1996). The digital collection is based on a large physical reference collection held...
Collection Items: View 713 Items
CollectionDetroit Publishing Company Includes over 25,000 glass negatives and transparencies as well as about 300 color photolithograph prints, mostly of the eastern United States. Subjects strongly represented in the collection include city and town views,...
- Contributor: Detroit Publishing Co. - Jackson, William Henry - Glover. L. S. (Lycurgus S.) - Peabody, Henry G. (Henry Greenwood) - Hart, Edward H. - Johnston, J. S. (John S.) - Byron (Firm : New York, N.Y.)
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 25,172 Items
CollectionDocuments from the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention, 1774-1789 Contains 277 documents relating to the work of Congress and the drafting and ratification of the Constitution. Items include extracts of the journals of Congress, resolutions, proclamations, committee reports, treaties, and early...
- Contributor: United States. Continental Congress - Continental Congress Broadside Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1774
Collection Items: View 325 Items
CollectionDolly Parton and the Roots of Country Music This presentation explores the influences of country music on Dolly's life and career. Though sometimes overshadowed by the more glamorous aspects of Dolly Parton's popular image, traditional Appalachian folk, country, and bluegrass...
- Date: 1946
Collection Items: View 19 Items
CollectionDrawings (Master) Background and Scope: Joseph Pennell Drawings Some 4,700 drawings created by American artist, illustrator, printmaker, and writer Joseph Pennell (1857-1926) are preserved in the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. Such...
- Date: 1500
Collection Items: View 198 Items
CollectionE. B. Washburne Papers The papers of United States representative from Illinois, diplomat, lawyer, and historian E. B. (Elihu Benjamin) Washburne (1816-1887) consist of 37,000 items in 144 containers. The material spans the years 1829-1915, with...
- Contributor: Washburne, E. (Elihu Benjamin)
Collection Items: View 169 Items
CollectionEdwin McMasters Stanton Papers, 1818-1921 The papers of lawyer and Secretary of War Edwin McMasters Stanton (1814-1869) span the years 1818-1921, with the bulk of the material originating between 1862 and 1870. They consist of approximately 7,650...
- Contributor: Stanton, Edwin M. (Edwin McMasters)
Collection Items: View 56 Items
CollectionElizabeth Cady Stanton Papers The papers of suffragist, reformer, and feminist theorist Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1815-1902) cover the years 1814 to 1946, with most of the material concentrated between 1840 and 1902. Consisting of approximately 1,000...
- Contributor: Stanton, Elizabeth Cady
Collection Items: View 168 Items
CollectionEmile Berliner and the Birth of the Recording Industry This collection showcases the work of Emile Berliner, a prominent inventor at the end of the nineteenth and the beginning of the twentieth centuries. Overlooked by today's historians, Berliner's creative genius rivaled...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2002
Collection Items: View 531 Items
CollectionErnest Bloch Collection This site features nineteen early manuscript compositions by composer Ernest Bloch (1880-1959), spanning the period from 1896 to 1916, and comprising a portion of the Ernest Bloch Collection at the Library of...
- Contributor: Bloch, Ernest
- Date: 1888
Collection Items: View 26 Items
CollectionThe Evolution of the Conservation Movement The Evolution of the Conservation Movement, 1850-1920 documents the historical formation and cultural foundations of the movement to conserve and protect America's natural heritage, through books, pamphlets, government documents, manuscripts, prints, photographs,...
- Date: 1850
Collection Items: View 744 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black-and-White Negatives The photographs of the Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Photograph Collection form an extensive pictorial record of American life between 1935 and 1944. This U.S. government photography project was...
- Contributor: United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1935
Collection Items: View 170,901 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Color Photographs Photographers working for the U.S. government's Farm Security Administration (FSA) and later the Office of War Information (OWI) between 1939 and 1944 made approximately 1,600 color photographs that depict life in the...
- Contributor: Bransby, David - Collins, Marjory - Collier, John - Delano, Jack - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Feininger, Andreas - Hollem, Howard R. - Jacobs, Fenno - Lee, Russell ... Bransby, David - Collins, Marjory - Collier, John - Delano, Jack - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Feininger, Andreas - Hollem, Howard R. - Jacobs, Fenno - Lee, Russell - Liberman, Howard - Palmer, Alfred T. - Rittase, William M. - Rosskam, Louise - Rothstein, Arthur - Rous, John - Sherwood, Mark - Siegel, Arthur S. - Vachon, John - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1939
Collection Items: View 1,623 Items
CollectionFederal Theatre Project, 1935 to 1939 This online presentation includes items selected from the Federal Theatre Project Collection at the Library of Congress. Featured here are stage and costume designs, photographs, posters, playbills, programs, and playscripts, including productions...
- Contributor: Gottlieb, William P.
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 6,586 Items
CollectionFelix Mendelssohn at the Library of Congress Made available here are digital images of selected resources on this composer. This collection was created to mark the bicentennial of the birth of composer Felix Mendelssohn on February 3, 2009. The...
- Date: 1820
Collection Items: View 28 Items
CollectionFenton Crimean War Photographs Roger Fenton's Crimean War photographs represent one of the earliest systematic attempts to document a war through the medium of photography. Fenton, who spent fewer than four months in the Crimea (March...
- Contributor: Fenton, Roger
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 268 Items
CollectionFiddle Tunes of the Old Frontier: The Henry Reed Collection Fiddle Tunes of the Old Frontier: The Henry Reed Collection presents traditional fiddle tunes performed by Henry Reed of Glen Lyn, Virginia. Recorded by folklorist Alan Jabbour in 1966-67, when Reed was...
- Contributor: Glenroy, William - Reed, Henry - Reed, Gene - Reed, Watha - Jabbour, Alan - Ricci, Glenn - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 292 Items
CollectionFinding Our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond A thematic collection exploring changing models of the universe through time, ideas of life on other words and Carl Sagan’s place in the tradition of science. It features manuscripts, rare books, celestial...
- Contributor: Sagan, Carl - Druyan, Ann - Macfarlane, Seth
Collection Items: View 349 Items
CollectionFine Prints: Japanese, pre-1915 The Library's Prints and Photographs Division houses more than 2,500 woodblock prints and drawings by Japanese artists of the seventeenth through early twentieth centuries including Hiroshige, Kuniyoshi, Sadahide, and Yoshiiku. The Library...
- Contributor: Andō, Hiroshige - Utagawa, Hiroshige - Utagawa, Kuniteru - Utagawa, Yoshikazu - Utagawa, Yoshitoyo - Ikkei - Ochiai, Yoshiiku - Utagawa, Yoshitora - Utagawa, Sadahide
- Date: 1615
Collection Items: View 2,661 Items
CollectionFlorida Folklife from the WPA Collections, 1937-1942 Florida Folklife from the WPA Collections combines sound recordings and manuscript materials from four discrete archival collections made by Work Projects Administration (WPA) workers from the Joint Committee on Folk Arts, the...
- Contributor: Kennedy, Stetson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 494 Items
CollectionFranklin Pierce Papers The papers of Franklin Pierce (1804-1869), army officer, representative and senator from New Hampshire, and fourteenth president of the United States, contain approximately 2,350 items dating from 1820 to 1869. They include...
- Contributor: Pierce, Franklin
Collection Items: View 19 Items