Sumpter Prison, Andersonville, Georgia, June 1864
Shows the prison with wooden fence, 18 guard towers, the famous "deadline," the north and south gates, Sweetwater Creek, "Valley of Death," fortification, batteries, and cook house. He depicts overcrowding by a blizzard of tiny dots everywhere, writing the dots stand for "Union soldiers." Date written on map: June 1863 with penciled 4 over the 3. Pen-and-ink on blue tinted note paper. Purchase, James...
Prison at Andersonville, Ga.
Scale not given. LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 134 From Sanitary Commission bulletin, v. 1, no. 21, Sept. 1, 1864. opp. p. 647. Plan of camp showing the prison, the "dead line," "Rebel camp," batteries, "Gen. Winder's headquarters," Capt. Wirtz's house, depot, cook house, dispensary, hospital, road, and drainage. Description derived from published bibliography. Available also through the Library of Congress web site...
Plan of Andersonville Prison or "Camp Sumter," April, 1864.
Illustrates the layout of Andersonville Camp, as Sneden refers to the prison, and the surrounding area where Confederate guard troops of the 1st Florida Battery were stationed including the headquarters of Captain Henry Wirz, roads in and out, topographical features such as swampland, a graveyard presumed to be connected with the prison, and "Anderson Village." Sneden revised this map and it is available as...
Sneden, Robert Knox
Shows railroad lines emanating south and east of Atlanta going toward Macon and Columbus, Ga., with a notation "125 miles from Atlanta to Andersonville [Prison]."
Andersonville Prison, Georgia in July 1864.
Illustrates a detailed outline of the actual prison yard with acreage and stockade dimensions given. Also, shows the surrounding area where the following sites were located: "death house," graveyard, rifle trenches, forts, including the one where Captain Henry Wirz had his headquarters and loghouse, Union hospital, cook house, and soup house.
Sneden, Robert Knox
Plan of the prison. March 1, 1864.
Map shows the plan of Andersonville Prison Camp including the stockade, the town of Anderson Station on the Macon and Americus Rail Road, the locations of Confederate units serving as guards, and the headquarters of camp commandant Maj. Henry Wirz.