CollectionCabinet of American illustration collection (Library of Congress) Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available 3,966 items : chiefly drawings. | Drawings and other graphic representations by American illustrators for magazines, novels, children's books, and advertisements. Includes literary and editorial cartoons and illustrations, and poster sketches. Images reflect political, social, and economic conditions, domestic and family life, popular culture, and contemporary and historical events. Includes illustrations relating to World War I and the Spanish-American War. The subject headings on...
- Contributor: Beard, Daniel Carter - Elliott, Elizabeth Shippen Green - Fogarty, Thomas - Frost, A. (Arthur Burdett) - Herford, Oliver - Rogers, W. A. (William Allen) - Smedley, W. T. (William Thomas) - Steele, Frederic Dorr - Wright, George Hand - Yohn, F. C. (Frederick Coffay)
- Date: 1830
CollectionFine print filing series (Library of Congress)
Cut in wood, the 5. chie masters, vol. VIII ca. 85,000 prints : most b&w, some color ; various sizes. | Collection includes prints created as art works. The bulk are by American printmakers and artists (e.g., Paul Revere, Mary Cassatt, Jim Dine, Joseph Pennell), but creators in many other countries are also represented (e.g., Albrecht Dürer and Marc Chagall). Subjects vary widely, for example, portraits, religious themes, historical events, and street scenes.
- Contributor: Andreani, Andrea - Beccafumi, Domenico - Carpi, Ugo Da - Coriolano, Bartolomeo - Parmigianino - Pembroke, Thomas Herbert - Pembroke, Henry Herbert
- Date: 1450
CollectionLamb Studios archive
Lamb collection Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available PR 13 CN 2003:109 ca. 2,871 drawings : most color ; 30 x 40 in. or smaller (check dimensions) | PR 13 CN 2004:061 ca. 2,921 items. | The Lamb Studios Archive features nearly 2,900 design sketches for stained glass windows, murals, mosaics, furnishings, metalwork, and interior architecture. The drawings are striking watercolors created from the 1860s to the 1990s, primarily for churches, synagogues,...
- Contributor: J. & R. Lamb Studios
- Date: 1869
CollectionLook magazine photograph collection (Library of Congress) contact sheets ca. 100,000 photographic prints (ca, 3,500,000 images) ; 8 x 10 in. or smaller. | slides 1,000,000 transparencies : chiefly color slides ; 8 x 10 in. or smaller. | negatives ca. 3,750,000 : chiefly b&w ; 8 x 10 in. or smaller. | miscellaneous prints 150,000 : various sizes. | The photographs depict mid-20th century American life, culture, and interests, as...
- Contributor: Cowles Communications, Inc
- Date: 1937
CollectionAmerican cartoon print filing series (Library of Congress)
Political cartoon prints, United States (Library of Congress) Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available 438 prints : predominately b&w, some color ; various sizes. | Political cartoons and caricatures that cover a wide range of topics from pre-revolutionary America through the presidency of Chester A. Arthur. The predominate theme is the growth and development of the political process and its role in the governance of the United States. These prints were used to advance political candidacies, attack individuals...
- Contributor: Baillie, James S., Active - Bucholzer, H. - Childs, John, Active - Clay, Edward Williams - Currier, Nathaniel - Magee, John L. - Maurer, Louis - Robinson, Henry R. - Currier & Ives
- Date: 1766
CollectionMagic poster collection (Library of Congress) Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available 144 prints (posters) : some b&w, most color ; various sizes. | Posters mainly depict magicians, performing and in portrait. Magicians featured include Herbert Flint, Hardeen, Harry Houdini, Harry Kellar, C.A. George Newmann, Howard Thurston, and others. Images depicted as part of magic acts include devils, skeletons, levitation, decapitations, telepathy, hypnotisms, and crystal balls. Featured magicians not always depicted in image. Some posters are...
- Contributor: Donaldson Lith. Co. - National Prtg. & Engr. Co. - Otis Lithograph Co. - Strobridge & Co. Lith
- Date: 1879
CollectionMinstrel poster collection (Library of Congress) Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available 177 prints (posters) : some b&w, most color ; various sizes. | Posters mainly depict minstrels and minstrel companies, performing and in portrait. Minstrels, usually, though not exclusively, performed programs of African-American music, broad comedy and jokes, and African-American impersonations, frequently in blackface. Featured minstrels include Lew Dockstader, Al G. Field, Carroll Johnson, Richard J. José, Ezra Kendall, Chas. H. Larkin, Tom Lewis, George...
- Contributor: Courier Co. Lith. Dpt - Courier Litho. Co. - Otis Lithograph Co. - Strobridge & Co. Lith - U.S. Printing Co.
- Date: 1847
CollectionSpanish Civil War poster collection (Library of Congress) Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available 123 prints (posters) : lithographs, chiefly color ; 213 x 161 cm. or smaller. | 1 print (poster) : silkscreen, color ; 43 x 28 cm. | Items from this poster collection are sponsored by all factions in the Spanish Civil War including Republican, anti-Republican groups (including the Falange, party of Francisco Franco), trade unions, Catalonian nationalists and various international factions. A large number...
- Contributor: Bardasano, José - Fontseré, Carles - Hinsberger, Aleix - Puyol, Ramón - Catalonia (Spain). Comissariat De Propaganda - Confederación Nacional Del Trabajo (Spain) - F.A.I. (Organization : Spain) - Falange Española. Jefatura Nacional De Prensa Y Propaganda. Seccion Mural - Unión General De Trabajadores De España - Spain. Ministerio De Instrucción Pública Y Sanidad
- Date: 1936
CollectionTheatrical poster collection (Library of Congress) Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available 1,784 prints (posters) : some b&w, most color; various sizes. | Collection includes posters advertising individual plays and operettas, burlesque, vaudeville, and specialty acts, dance companies, extravaganzas produced by the Kiralfy Brothers, portraits of entertainers, and stock posters. Featured performers include Julia Arthur, De Wolfe Hopper, Joseph Hart Vaudeville Co., Thomas W. Keene, Andrew Mack, Robert B. Mantell, Mathews & Bulger, Lewis Morrison, Phil...
- Contributor: A.S. Seer Print - Courier Litho. Co. - H.C. Miner Litho. Co. - Metropolitan Litho. Studio - Strobridge & Co. Lith - U.S. Lithograph Co. - U.S. Printing Co.
- Date: 1850
CollectionPresidential File filing series (Library of Congress) 15,000 photographs and prints. | Portraits and other pictures relating to the lives, careers, and families of U.S. presidents, including their homes and birthplaces, friends and associates in group portraits, political campaigns, inaugurations, and statues and cartoons. Most of the portraits depict presidents prior to Harry Truman, with extensive documentation for George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.
- Date: 1790
CollectionStereograph File filing series (Library of Congress)
Stereo Collection (Library of Congress) Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available ca. 36,000 photographic prints on stereo cards : stereographs ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. | The STEREO FOREIGN GEOG series has ca. 22,000 views of places, scenes, structures, and people outside of the United States and spanning the entire globe. Countries particularly well represented include Canada, China, Egypt, England, France, Germany, Greece, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Norway, Philippines, Russia, and Switzerland....
- Contributor: Rau, William Herman - Singley, L. (Benjamin Lloyd) - American Stereoscopic Company - H.C. White Co - International Stereograph Co. - Keystone View Company - Strohmeyer & Wyman - Underwood & Underwood
- Date: 1860
CollectionChadbourne collection of Japanese prints (Library of Congress) Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available 181 prints : woodcut, chiefly color. | Collection testifies to Japanese interest in Western dress, manners, and technology, emphasizing foreigners in Japan as well as imagined scenes in places outside Japan. Some depictions of foreign subject matter may be drawn from Western representations. Many portray national "types," including Americans, English, French, Dutch, Russians, and Chinese; their recreational, business, and military activities and their children...
- Contributor: Andō, Hiroshige - Utagawa, Hiroshige - Utagawa, Kuniteru - Utagawa, Yoshikazu, Active - Utagawa, Yoshitoyo - Ikkei - Ochiai, Yoshiiku - Utagawa, Yoshitora, Active - Utagawa, Sadahide - Chadbourne, E. Crane (Emily Crane)
- Date: 1801
CollectionHorydczak photograph collection (Library of Congress)
Theodor Horydczak photograph collection Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available ca. 9,200 negatives : safety film ; 8 x 10 in. (21 x 26 cm.) or smaller. | ca. 3,950 negatives : nitrate ; 8 x 10 in. (21 x 26 cm.) or smaller. | ca. 260 negatives : glass ; 8 x 10 in. (21 x 26 cm.) or smaller. | ca. 940 transparencies : film, glass, and slides, color ; 8 x...
- Contributor: Horydczak, Theodor, Approximately - Horydczak, Theodor
- Date: 1915
CollectionGottscho-Schleisner Collection (Library of Congress) Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available ca. 28,350 negatives : safety film, some nitrate ; 5 x 7 in. (13 x 18 cm.) or smaller. | ca. 300 transparencies : film, color ; 8 x 10 in. (21 x 26 cm.) or smaller. | 11 albums of photographic or photomechanical prints : gelatin silver, some cyanotype, some color ; 16.5 x 14 in. (42 x 35 cm.) or smaller. |...
- Contributor: Gottscho, Samuel H. (Samuel Herman) - Schleisner, William H. (William Herman) - Gottscho-Schleisner, Inc
- Date: 1896
CollectionFarm Security Administration - Office of War Information color slides and transparencies collection (Library of Congress) Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available 1,616 transparencies (film and slides) : color ; 4 x 5 in. or smaller. | Documentary images of life and culture in the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Farm Security Administration images focus on rural areas, depicting farming, mining, forestry, migrant labor, children, and fairs. Includes particularly extensive coverage of Afro-Americans, but also includes whites, Hispanic Americans, and islanders. Office...
- Contributor: Bransby, David - Collins, Marjory - Collier, John, Jr. - Delano, Jack - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Feininger, Andreas - Hollem, Howard R. - Jacobs, Fenno - Lee, Russell ... Bransby, David - Collins, Marjory - Collier, John, Jr. - Delano, Jack - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Feininger, Andreas - Hollem, Howard R. - Jacobs, Fenno - Lee, Russell - Liberman, Howard - Palmer, Alfred T. - Rittase, William M. - Rosskam, Louise - Rothstein, Arthur - Rous, John - Sherwood, Mark - Siegel, Arthur S. - Vachon, John - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information - Collier, John
- Date: 1939
CollectionWorld's Transportation Commission photograph collection (Library of Congress)
World Transportation Commission photograph collection (Library of Congress) Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available 584 slides : glass lantern, 358 hand-colored ; 3.25 x 4 in. | 297 photographic prints : gelatin silver ; 8 x 10 in. or smaller. | Collection features views of various types of transportation, such as elephants, horses, sledges, sedan chairs, jinrickishas, and railroads, in North Africa, much of southern and eastern Asia, Australia, Oceania, and Russia. Featured also are various types of...
- Contributor: Jackson, William Henry
- Date: 1894
CollectionDetroit Publishing Company photograph collection (Library of Congress)
Detroit Photographic Company collection (Library of Congress) Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available ca. 25,000 negatives : glass, b&w ; various sizes, most 8 x 10 in. | ca. 20,000 photographic and photomechanical prints : b&w and some color photochrom, cyanotype ; various sizes, most 8 x 10 in. | ca. 2,900 transparencies : glass and some film, b&w and some color ; various sizes, most 5 x 7 in. | 5 albums (241 photomechanical prints) :...
- Contributor: Detroit Publishing Co. - Jackson, William Henry - Glover. L. S. (Lycurgus S.) - Peabody, Henry G. (Henry Greenwood) - Hart, Edward H. - Johnston, J. S. (John S.) - Byron (Firm : New York, N.Y.)
- Date: 1880
Carol M. Highsmith archive | Carol M. Highsmith photograph archive Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available 276 photographic prints : gelatin silver ; 8 x 10 in. | 241 photographic prints : cibachrome, color ; 8 x 10 in. | 7278 transparencies : film, color ; chiefly 4 x 5 in. | 1213 negatives : safety film, b&w ; chiefly 4 x 5 in. | 2 photographs (digital prints) : color. | 24,121 photographs : digital files, TIFF, mostly color....
- Contributor: Highsmith, Carol M.
- Date: 1980
CollectionBrumfield photograph collection
William C. Brumfield photograph collection Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available 1,137 slides : color; 35mm. | The photographs document the architecture of pre-Soviet Russia. Most of the structures are churches, cathedrals, and monasteries, often shown in multiple views. Structures are located in both large cities and small towns from west of the Ural Mountains eastward through Siberia. Interior views include icon screens (iconostases) and fresco murals. Also represented are dwellings, commercial, and log buildings...
- Contributor: Brumfield, William Craft
- Date: 1987
CollectionCollection of unattributed photographs of the September 11th terrorist attack on the World Trade Center, New York City 250 slides : color ; 35 mm. | Slides showing the disastrous aftermath of two airplanes crashing into the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in lower Manhattan after being highjacked by terrorists on September 11, 2001. Includes the burning towers seen from uptown; the photographer's trip to the ground zero area; and the conditions north of the World Trade Center, near West...
- Date: 2001
View 251 Images
CollectionNoyes Collection of Japanese graphic art
Crosby Stuart Noyes Collection Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available ca. 500 prints : woodcut, chiefly color ; various sizes. | ca. 150 drawings : ink, some color ; various sizes. | The more than 100 cataloged prints and drawings represent the Ukiyo-e and also the later Edo style. The 1906 Annual Report of the Library of Congress included a collection catalog and states the original gift consisted of 12 water-colors, 145 original drawings,...
- Contributor: Noyes, Crosby Stuart
- Date: 1750
CollectionKandell Collection of Sikkim Photographs
Dr. Alice S. Kandell Collection of Sikkim Photographs Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available ca. 5,145 transparencies : color slides ; 35mm. | 537 photographic prints : gelatin silver and dye coupler ; 36 x 28 cm or smaller. | ca. 6,000 photographs on ca. 154 contact sheets : b&w prints ; sheets 30 x 26 cm and 28 x 23.5 cm or smaller. | ca. 6,000 negatives : safety film ; chiefly 35 mm. | ca. 50...
- Contributor: Kandell, Alice S. - Tse Ten Tashi - Sikkim (India). Publicity Department
- Date: 1965
CollectionPhotochrom print collection Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available 6,395 photomechanical prints : photochrom, color, some b&w ; 18 x 23 cm. (7 x 9 in.) or smaller. | 13 photomechanical prints (panoramas) : photochrom, color ; 20 x 61 cm. (8 x 24 in.) or smaller. | Photochrom prints show late 19th and early 20th century travel views of Europe and the Middle East, primarily of Eastern and Central European destinations (including...
- Contributor: Photoglob Co. - Detroit Publishing Co.
- Date: 1890
Collection[Burk Uzzle photojournalism archive, selections from 1959-1982] 246, 887 items (chiefly 35mm negatives and contact sheets) | Selections from Burk Uzzle's archive represent over 300 photo assignments for print media and corporate clients as well as some personal work. Subject coverage depicted in his professional work is broad with emphasis on places, people and events in the United States. Topics include business and industry, segregation, social protests, urban and suburban life...
- Contributor: Uzzle, Burk - Magnum Photos - New York (N.Y.). City Planning Commission - Time, Inc - United States Information Agency
- Date: 1959
CollectionFrissell photograph collection
Toni Frissell collection Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available ca. 340,000 photographs ; various sizes. | The photographs document a wide range of subjects captured for publication, clients, and personal use. Examples include: children, fashion, families, leisure activities such as eating and drinking, members of American and British upper classes, well-known personalities, sports, and World War II. Frissell's own selection of about 1,800 of her best and most representative photographs have been processed...
- Contributor: Frissell, Toni
- Date: 1930