View the Irving Fine Collection Finding Aid (PDF, 114KB)
The Finding Aid for the Irving Fine Collection provides descriptions of all the materials found in the collection. These include music composed by Fine and others, musical sketchbooks, writings by Fine and others, general correspondence, photographs, programs, clippings, business correspondence, and scrapbooks. Audio materials in the collection are the property of the Library's Motion Pictures, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division and do not appear in the Finding Aid.
The online version of the Finding Aid uses the Encoded Archival Description (EAD). (For information see the EAD Finding Aids at the Library of Congress.)
The Finding Aid provides links to digital images of selected photographs and musical sketches.
Please use our Ask A Librarian page to send questions or corrections.
Related Web Sites at the Library of Congress
Articles by Fine
- Fine, Irving. "Boston Opens an Exciting Season." Modern Music 22, no. 1 (November-December 1944): 43-45.
- ___________. "Bartok's New Koussevitzky Number." Modern Music 22, no. 2 (January-February 1945): 115-17.
- __________ . "Boston Hears Villa-Lobos; Attends Theatre." Modern Music 22, no. 3 (March-April 1945): 188-90.
- ___________. "Young America: Bernstein and Foss." Modern Music 22, no. 4 (May-June 1945): 238-43.
- ___________. "Symphonic Works and Faure Anniversary." Modern Music 23, no. 1 (winter 1946): 55-57.
- ___________. "English in Boston; Stravinsky's Symphony." Modern Music 23, no.3 (summer 1946): 209-11.
- ___________. "Solo Songs." Notes 11 (December 1953): 159-60. Review of Copland's Dickinson songs.
Works about Fine (in order of publication)
- Thomson, Virgil. Review of Toccata. New York Herald Tribune, 16 January 1949.
- Berger, Arthur. Review of Toccata. Boston Herald Tribune, 19 February 1953.
- ____________. "Stravinsky and the Younger American Composers." The Score, no. 12 (1955): 38.
- Boykan, Martin. Review of Symphony. Musical Quarterly 48 (1962): 385.
- Copland, Aaron. "A Composer's Praise." The Justice (Brandeis University newspaper), 30 October 1962.
- Laney, M. "Thematic Material and Developmental Techniques in Selected Contemporary Compositions." Ph.D. diss., Indiana University, 1964.
- Epstein, David. "Irving Fine: Symphony (1962)." Perspectives of New Music 3, no. 2 (1965): 160-64.
- Rickert, L. "Selected American Song Cycles for Baritone Composed Since 1945." D.M.A. diss., University of Illinois, 1965.
- Wise, Ronald Eugene. "Scoring in the Neoclassic Woodwind Quintets of Hindemith, Fine, Etler, and Wilder." Ph. D. diss., University of Wisconsin, 1967.
- Weymouth, Richard Wayne. "A Study of Three American Song Cycles: A Recital and Research Document." M.A. thesis, Central Missouri State College, 1969.
- Coker, Stephen Ray. "The Choral Music of Irving Fine." D.M.A. diss., University of Southern California, 1986.
- Unruh, Eric W. "Three American Traditionalists of the Twentieth Century: David Amram, Robert Evett, and Irving Fine." D. Music diss., Northwestern University, 1989.
- Pollack, Howard. Harvard Composers: Walter Piston and His Students from Elliott Carter to Frederic Rzewski. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press, 1992.
- Graddy, Julia Harder. "The Twentieth-Century Tribute in Solo Vocal Works: A Study of the Genre." DMA diss., University of Missouri, 1995.
- Sacher, Abram L. A Host at Last. Rev. ed. Hanover, N.H.: University Press of New England/Brandeis University Press, 1995.