Microfilm Editions of Primary Documents and Indexes
- The Papers of Martin Van Buren Presidential Series microfilm. Library of Congress. 35 reels. [Library of Congress microfilm no. 12,210]. LC catalog record. Finding aid available in HTML and PDF.
- West, Lucy Fisher, Walter L. Ferree, and George W. Franz, eds. The Papers of Martin Van Buren [microform]. Alexandria, VA: Chadwyck-Healey, 1987. 55 reels. [Library of Congress microfilm no. 20,359] LC catalog record This edition includes items from the Martin Van Buren Papers at the Library of Congress (materials acquired up to 1980) as well as Van Buren materials from many other repositories and private collections.
- West, Lucy Fisher, ed. The Papers of Martin Van Buren: Guide and Index to General Correspondence and Miscellaneous Documents. Alexandria, VA: Chadwyck-Healey, c. 1989. LC catalog record
Selected Finding Aids for Manuscript Collections at the Library of Congress
- Martin Van Buren Papers, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress. LC catalog record. Finding aid available in HTML and PDF formats. LC catalog record.
- Andrew Jackson Papers, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress. LC catalog record. Finding aid available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Andrew Jackson Donelson Papers, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress. LC catalog record Finding aid available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Blair Family Papers, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress. LC catalog record. Finding aid available in HTML and PDF formats.
Books and Articles
- Adams, John Quincy. The Memoirs of John Quincy Adams: Comprising Portions of His Diary from 1795 to 1848. Charles Francis Adams, ed. 12 vols. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott, 1874-77. Available online through HathiTrust External.
- Brown, Richard H. “The Still Muffled Oars of Martin Van Buren.” Reviews in American History 12, no. 4 (December 1984): 490-494.
- Bruegel, Martin. Farm, Shop, Landing: The Rise of a Market Society in the Hudson Valley, 1780-1860. Durham: Duke University Press, 2002.
- Butler, William Allen. Martin Van Buren: Lawyer, Statesman and Man. New York: D. Appleton, 1862. Available online through Hathi Trust External.
- Cole, Donald B. Martin Van Buren and the American Political System. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1984.
- Crockett, David. The Life of Martin Van Buren. Philadelphia: R. Wright, 1835. Available online through Hathi Trust External.
- Donovan, Herbert D. A. The Barnburners: A Study of the Internal Movements in the Political History of New York State, 1830-1852. New York: New York University Press, 1925. Reprint ed. Philadelphia: Porcupine Press, 1974.
- Emmons, William. Biography of Martin Van Buren, Vice President of the United States. Washington, D.C.: J. Gideon, 1835. Available online through Hathi Trust External.
- Holt, Michael F. Political Parties and American Political Development from the Age of Jackson to the Age of Lincoln. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1992.
- Jones, Howard. Mutiny on the Amistad: The Saga of a Slave Revolt and Its Impact on American Abolition, Law, and Diplomacy. New York: Oxford University Press, 1987.
- Loizeau, Pierre-Marie. Martin Van Buren: The Little Magician. New York: Nova Science, 2008.
- McCormick, Richard P. The Second American Party System. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1966.
- Niven, John. Van Buren: The Romantic Age in American Politics and the Shaping of Republican Ideology. New York: Oxford University Press, 1983.
- Perdue, Theda, and Michael D. Green. The Cherokee Nation and the Trail of Tears. New York: Penguin, 2007.
- Remini, Robert V. “The Albany Regency.” New York History (October 1958): 341-355.
- Remini, Robert V. Martin Van Buren and the Making of the Democratic Party. New York: Columbia University Pressm 1959.
- Reynolds, David. Waking Giant: America in the Age of Jackson. New York: Harper Collins, 2008.
- Richardson, James D., ed. Messages and Papers of the Presidents, 1789-1897. Volume III. Washington, D.C., 1896.
- Satz, Ronald N. American Indian Policy in the Jacksonian Era. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1975.
- Shepard, Edward M. Martin Van Buren. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1888. Available online through Hathi Trust External.
- Sibley, Joel H. Martin Van Buren and the Emergence of American Popular Politics. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2002.
- Sloan, Irving, ed. Martin Van Buren, 1782-1862. Howard F. Bremer, series ed. Dobbs Ferry, NY: Oceana Publications, 1969.
- Van Buren, Martin. The Autobiography of Martin Van Buren. John C. Fitzpatrick, ed. Washington, D.C.,1920. Reprint New York: Da Capo Press, 1973.
- Van Buren, Martin [and sons]. An Inquiry into Origin and Course of Political Parties in the United States. New York, 1867. Reprint New York: A. M. Kelley, 1967.
- Widmer, Ted. Martin Van Buren. American President Series, Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., ed. New York: Times Books, Henry Holt & Company, 2005.
- Wilentz, Sean. The Rise of American Democracy: Jefferson to Lincoln. New York: W. W. Norton, 2005.
- Wilson, Major L. The Presidency of Martin Van Buren. Lawrence: University of Kansas Press, 1984.
- American President: Martin Van Buren. Miller Center of Public Affairs, University of Virginia External.
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress: Martin Van Buren External
- Cunningham, Lillian. “On Leadership: The Overlooked Victim of Donald Trump’s Presidential Campaign? Martin Van Buren.” External Washington Post Presidential Leadership podcast (first broadcast February 29, 2016).
- Martin Van Buren National Historic Site (Lindenwald), Kinderhook, New York (National Park Service) External
- The Papers of Martin Van Buren Project, Cumberland University, Lebanon, Tennessee External.