We have listed below some sources that may be helpful to you as you research particular dates in history.
- Gross, Ernie. This Day in American History. 4th ed. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland & Co., 2012. E174.5 .G76 2012 https://lccn.loc.gov/2012014940
- Le Rouge, Mary, ed. The American Book of Days. 5th ed. Ipswich, Massachusetts: The H.W. Wilson Company, 2015. GT4803 .D6 2015 https://lccn.loc.gov/2015452477
- Linton, Calvin D., ed. The American Almanac: a Diary of America. Nashville: T. Nelson, 1977. E174.5 .B52 1977 https://lccn.loc.gov/77001895
- Trawicky, Bernard. Anniversaries and Holidays. 5th ed. Chicago: American Library Association, 2000. GT3930 .T73 2000 https://lccn.loc.gov/99056166
- History Channel: This Day in History External link
- History Net: Today in History External link
- The New York Times: On This Day External link
You may also find it helpful to go to your local library and ask for newspapers and magazines published around the date you are researching. Many libraries also offer access to subscription databases featuring historical newspaper/periodical content that users can search for events that occurred on a specific date.
For events that took place between 1789 and 1963 in the United States (and in some cases, other parts of the world) try doing some additional background research using the Library’s Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers database. The Advanced Search option enables more specific date searching.