Though the term “veteran” is often uttered in the same breath as “war,” many of America’s veterans served during times of peace. This includes thousands of veterans in the Veterans History Project archive who served during the period known as the Cold War era. While the Cold War may not have involved a formal declaration of war or clearly delineated front lines, it was anything but peaceful. Stretching from the immediate post-World War II years until the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, the Cold War was marked by escalating struggles between the United States and its allies and the Soviet bloc. During this time period, the United States drew on the talents of a willing cadre of men and women who chose to join the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard. Motivated not only by love of country and family tradition by also by the opportunities for education and travel offered by the military, these individuals served in a wide variety of non-combat roles. Here, we present stories of the Cold War, told by veterans in their own words.
personal narrativeHarold Douglas Barker Collection Commander, Navy, Cold War - Long Beach and Monterey, California; Washington, DC; Groton, Connecticut; Naples, Italy; Norfolk, Virginia; Dunoon, Scotland.
- Contributor: Barker, Harold Douglas - Douglas County Libraries Archives and Local History - Gray, Annette - Belt, Barbara
- Date: 1953
personal narrativeLogan D. Fitch Collection Major, Army, Cold War - Fort Carson, Colorado; Fort Ord, California; Hanau, Germany; Fort Irwin, California; Fort Benning, Georgia; Berlin, Germany; Fort Bragg, North Carolina; Tuscaloosa, Alabama; Mainz, Germany; Bad Tolz, Germany;...
- Contributor: Fitch, Logan D. - National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) - Shorak, B.J. - David R. Roy - Ellis, AL
- Date: 1961
personal narrativeWilliam Archer Glenn Collection Officer Special Agent, Army, Cold War - Fort Holabird, Maryland; Austria; Germany. Commander, Navy, Vietnam War, 1961-1975 - Atsugi, Japan; Patuxent River, Maryland; Pacific; Korea; Chicago, Illinois; Washington, DC; Vietnam; California.
- Contributor: Jennifer Cormican - Glenn, William Archer - National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) - Tanner, Robin - Regional Technical Institute/Daughters of the American Revolution, Reno
- Date: 1954
personal narrativeRoland Liles Massey Collection Major, Marine Corps, Cold War - United States; Mediterranean; West Pacific; Beirut; Lebanon.
- Contributor: Fessenden, Alan - National Veterans History Archival Institute (Nvhai) - Massey, Roland Liles - Milidonis, Dave
- Date: 1978
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 02:24:29.0
personal narrativeEdward H. Mortimer Collection Captain, Navy, Cold War - Annapolis, Maryland; Pacific; Pearl Harbor, and Ford Island, Hawaii; New London, Connecticut; Charleston, South Carolina; United Kingdom; North Sea; Atlantic; Pacific; Guam (Mariana Islands).
- Contributor: Aarp, Georgia - Brown, William - Roseman, Malcolm - Mortimer, Edward H.
- Date: 1954
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 01:30:06.3
personal narrativeAgnes Helen Patterson Collection Airman First Class, Air Force, Cold War - Lackland Air Force Base, Texas; Warren Air Force Base, Wyoming; Donaldson Air Force Base, South Carolina; Larson Air Force Base, Washington.
- Contributor: Patricia Henshaw - Patterson, Agnes Helen Gomez - Farrar, Mike - American Red Cross, Greater Long Beach Chapter
- Date: 1950
personal narrativeVincent William Patton, III Collection Master Chief Petty Officer, Coast Guard, Cold War - Cape May, New Jersey; Petaluma, California; New York City, New York; Detroit, Michigan; Chicago, Illinois; Cleveland, Ohio; Washington, DC; Portsmouth, Virginia; Port au...
- Contributor: American Veterans for Equal Rights (Aver) - Estes, Steve - Patton III, Vincent William - Ballard, Lara
- Date: 1972
personal narrativeHector Rafael Ponton Collection Colonel, Army, Cold War - Germany; Washington; Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia; Fort Polk, Louisiana; Nicaragua; Denver, Colorado; Far East; Korea; South America; Middle East. Corporal, Vietnam War, 1961-1975 - Vietnam.
- Contributor: Ponton, Hector Rafael - Beckenbaugh, Terry - Albert Landry, Jr. - McNeese State University - Beckenbaugh, Lisa - Alan Dickerson
- Date: 1952
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 00:40:11.1
personal narrativeJerry Lynn Ross Collection Colonel, Air Force, Cold War - Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio; Edwards Air Force Base, California; Texas.
- Contributor: Smith, Anne - Ross, Jerry Lynn - Braud-Jones, Alice - Daughters of the American Revolution, Sam Houston Chapter
- Date: 1972
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 01:19:49.0
personal narrativeAndree Monique Sutton Collection Chief Master Sergeant, Air Force, Cold War - Lowry Air Force Base and Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado; Vandenberg Air Force Base, George Air Force Base, March Air Reserve Base, and Norton...
- Contributor: Tollefsen, Kjell - Central Connecticut State University - McGuckin, Briana - Sutton, Andree Monique Hampton
- Date: 1979
personal narrativeTecumseh Nathaniel Underwood Collection Private First Class, Army, Cold War - West Berlin, Germany.
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Underwood, Tecumseh Nathaniel - Nault, Jeanine
- Date: 1963