Chosen from among the thousands of collections of women’s experiences in the Veterans History Project, this modest selection spans four wars. While many of the collections are nurses’ tales, there is also the story of a code breaker (Ann Caracristi), a welder (Meda Brendall), and a flight surgeon (Rhonda Cornum), plus two women who rose through the ranks to secure places in the military history books. Jeanne Holm served her country for 33 years, in 1971 becoming the first woman general in the Air Force. And in December 1990, Darlene Iskra became the first woman to command a U.S. Navy ship.
personal narrativeMeda Montana Brendall Collection Civilian, World War, 1939-1945 - Baltimore, Maryland.
- Contributor: Bishop, Linda - Brendall, Meda Montana Hallyburton - Gill, Harmett - American Legion Post 22, Towson, Maryland
- Date: 1941
personal narrativeAnn Caracristi Collection Civilian, World War, 1939-1945 - Washington, DC.
- Contributor: Caracristi, Ann - Sewell, Leslie - The History Project-Documentary Production
personal narrativeRhonda Cornum Collection Colonel, Army, Persian Gulf War, 1991 - Kuwait.
- Contributor: Winchester, Brad - Department of Veterans Affairs, Public & Intergovernmental Affairs - Cornum, Rhonda Scott - McDowell, Ivonne
- Date: 1978
personal narrativeJennifer Grace Dutton-Cantrell Collection Petty Officer First Class, Navy, Persian Gulf War, 1991 - Orlando, Florida; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Little Creek, Virginia; Norfolk, Virginia.
- Contributor: Ricki Fideldy - Henderson, Patrick - Bret Harte Union High School - Truman, Jennifer - Dutton-Cantrell, Jennifer Grace Dutton - Marcus Porrovechio
- Date: 1982
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Audio - 00:20:40.0
personal narrativeViolet Hill Gordon Collection Captain, WAC (Women's Army Corps), World War, 1939-1945 - Fort Des Moines, Iowa; Fort Huachuca, Arizona; England; France; European Theater.
- Contributor: Kent, Judith - Gordon, Violet Hill Askins - National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) - Barbara W. Hightcap - Flagler County Public Library
- Date: 1942
personal narrativeJeanne M. Holm Collection WAC (Women's Army Corps), World War, 1939-1945 - Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia; West Virginia; Washington, DC; Germany; Italy. Major General, Air Force, Cold War - United States; Germany; Italy.
- Contributor: Alison Spack - Binker, Mary-Jo - Holm, Jeanne M. - National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) - Library of Congress
- Date: 1942
personal narrativeDarlene M. Iskra Collection Commander, Navy, Persian Gulf War, 1991 - Alameda, California; San Diego, California; Norfolk, Virginia; Washington, DC; Port Said, Egypt; Guam (Mariana Islands).
- Contributor: Iskra, Darlene M. - Mears, Rachel - Alison R. Spack - National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) - Library of Congress
- Date: 1979
personal narrativeFrances M. Liberty Collection Army Nurse Corps, World War, 1939-1945 - Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia; Texas; New York; Fort Dix, New Jersey; Fort Campbell, Kentucky; Africa; Italy. Army Nurse Corps, Korean War, 1950-1953 - Fort Sam...
- Contributor: Venezio, Thomas - Landry, Robert - Liberty, Frances M. - Shaker High School/United States Coast Guard Auxiliary
- Date: 1943
personal narrativeJeanne A. Markle Collection First Lieutenant, Army Nurse Corps, Vietnam War, 1961-1975 - Fort Sam Houston, Texas; Fort Carson, Colorado; Vietnam.
- Contributor: U.S. Senate/Richard Lugar - Doud, Mark - Lugar, Richard - Ann Ford - National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) - Markle, Jeanne A. Urbin
- Date: 1964
personal narrativeRhona Marie Knox Prescott Collection Captain, Army Nurse Corps, Vietnam War, 1961-1975 - Texas; Virginia; Georgia; Oklahoma; South Korea; Saigon, An Khe, and Qui Nhon, South Vietnam.
- Contributor: Kent, Judith - Prescott, Rhona Marie Knox - Flagler County Public Library
- Date: 1961
personal narrativeRegina H. Schiffman Collection Lieutenant Colonel, Army Nurse Corps, Korean War, 1950-1953 - Fort Sam Houston, Texas; San Francisco, California; Pennsylvania; Korea; Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland; Washington, DC; Landstuhl, Germany; Frankfurt, Germany; Japan; Fort Benning, Georgia....
- Contributor: Susan Cackler - Schiffman, Regina H. - National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) - Stewart, Ruth - Women's Overseas Service League, San Antonio Unit
- Date: 1949
personal narrativeWendy Marie Taines Collection Corporal, Army, Persian Gulf War, 1991 - Fort Dix, New Jersey; San Antonio, Texas; Fort Polk, Louisiana; Saudi Arabia.
- Contributor: Taines, Wendy Marie Wamsley - Va Medical Center, Los Angeles, California - Donahue, Mary Ann - National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) - Annamarie Jones
- Date: 1990
personal narrativeCarolyn Hisako Tanaka Collection Captain, Army Nurse Corps, Vietnam War, 1961-1975 - Fort Sam Houston, Texas; Fort Ord, California; Long Binh, Vietnam.
- Contributor: Tanaka, Carolyn Hisako - Tanaka, Carolyn
- Date: 1966
- Resource: Memoir, Road Runner" by Caroline Hisako Tanaka - 148 pages