They may be dramatically visible: a missing limb, a facial scar. They may also lurk beneath the skin’s surface: mental trauma that persists long after the events that provoked it. For disabled veterans, their wounds of war are daily facts of life. They are obstacles or impediments, but for the men and woman in these stories, they are not roadblocks. All say they don’t want special consideration for their disabilities, only fair and humane treatment—from the government they served and from the communities in which they live.
personal narrativeEric Wayne Cagle Collection Staff Sergeant, Army, Iraq War, 2003-2011 - Fort Campbell, Kentucky; Schofield Barracks, Hawaii; Iraq. Army, Operation Joint Guardian, 1999- - Kosovo.
- Contributor: Cagle, Eric Wayne - Va Medical Center - Miller, Harold
- Date: 1998
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 00:59:53.9
personal narrativeArthur Eck Collection Private, Army, World War, 1939-1945 - United States; France; Germany.
- Contributor: Eck, Arthur
- Date: 1943
- Resource: The Cost of Freedom: Invoice Number XIIA097689. - 21 pages
personal narrativeArthur Lee Guerrero Collection E-5, Army, Vietnam War, 1961-1975 - Fort Polk, Louisiana; An Khe, Vietnam; Happy Valley, Vietnam; Bon Son, Vietnam.
- Contributor: Guerrero, Arthur Lee - Dingmann, Daniel - Zicko, Margaret - Community College of Aurora
- Date: 1966
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 01:30:06.0
personal narrativeRaymond A. Kasten Collection Sergeant First Class, Army, Korean War, 1950-1953 - Korea.
- Contributor: Kasten, Raymond A. - Gartside, Jeanne - Disabled American Veterans (Dav), Missouri
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 00:52:33.3
personal narrativeJames M. Mayer Collection Specialist, Army, Vietnam War, 1961-1975 - Vietnam.
- Contributor: Mayer, James M. - Winchester, Brad - Department of Veterans Affairs, Public & Intergovernmental Affairs - McDowell, Ivonne
- Date: 1968
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 01:23:50.5
personal narrativeFranklin Nicholson Collection Major, Army, World War, 1939-1945 - Pacific Theater; Okinawa Island (Ryukyu Islands).
- Contributor: McClain, Patricia - U.S. Senate/Richard Lugar - Gertrude Stephenson - Lugar, Richard - Melinda Cantrell - National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) - Nicholson, Franklin
- Date: 1941
personal narrativeLawrence Saenz, Jr. Collection Sergeant, Army, Vietnam War, 1961-1975 - Camp Eagle, South Vietnam.
- Contributor: Saenz Jr., Lawrence - Sterling Heights Public Library - Ferro, Jennifer - Lingeman, Carol
- Date: 1966
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 00:39:08.3
personal narrativeConnie Rose Spinks Collection Sergeant, Army, Iraq War, 2003-2011 - North Carolina; Korea; Iraq.
- Contributor: Spinks, Connie Rose - Women in Military Service for America Memorial Foundation, Inc. (Wimsa) - Scott, Kathleen - Reborchuk, Margaret
- Date: 2000