Working and living in a confined space beneath the ocean (and sometimes the Arctic polar cap) demands a special kind of person. The Navy's submariners are all volunteers, carefully tested and screened and able to perform any job aboard, including steering the massive boat. During World War II, U.S. submarines sank more Japanese ships than did U.S. surface vessels and planes, but at a high cost: a twenty percent casualty rate. In the Cold War, nuclear submarines prowled the oceans, gathering intelligence or poised to launch a missile on command.
Submarines: The Silent Service
personal narrativeDonald L. Campbell Collection Torpedoman's Mate Second Class, Navy, Korean War, 1950-1953.
- Contributor: Campbell, Donald L. - Tanner, Robin - Gross, Susan - Lura Sexton - Regional Technical Institute/Daughters of the American Revolution, Reno
- Date: 1948
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 00:44:40.2
personal narrativeJohn W. Close Collection Torpedoman's Mate Third Class, Navy, World War, 1939-1945 - Great Lakes, Illinois; Newport, Rhode Island; San Diego, California; Pearl Harbor, Hawaii; Warrensburg, Missouri; Iowa.
- Contributor: Close, John W. - Babcock, Robert - Americans Remembered, Inc - Swanson, Gary
- Date: 1942
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 00:46:31.7
personal narrativeRobert L. Devore, Sr. Collection Chief Petty Officer, Navy, World War, 1939-1945 - Pacific Theater; Atlantic Ocean; Mediterranean Sea. Navy, Korean War, 1950-1953 - Korea.
- Contributor: White, Bud - Matlow, Randy - Bullitt County Public Libraries - Devore Sr., Robert L. - Charlie Bard
- Date: 1943
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 00:58:43.0
personal narrativeDavid W. Dickens Collection Navy, Korean War, 1950-1953 - Key West, Florida; San Diego, California; Charleston; New London; Rota, Spain. Chief Petty Officer, Navy, Vietnam War, 1961-1975.
- Contributor: Missouri State University - Cathy A. Wood - Dickens, David W. - Mullen, Brittany - Sean Sutton - National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) - Johnson, Julie
- Date: 1954
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 00:37:21.2
personal narrativeRobert Russell Hunt Collection Chief, Navy, World War, 1939-1945 - Pacific Theater; Hunter Point, California; Wake Island; Midway.
- Contributor: Hunt, Robert Russell - Schultz, Robert - Roanoke College, Virginia
- Date: 1939
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 00:50:39.3
personal narrativeWarren H. Link Collection Chief Motor Machinist's Mate, Navy, World War, 1939-1945 - Norfolk, Virginia; Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
- Contributor: Norlander, Denis - Albuquerque Older Adult Enrichment Program (Oasis) - Link, Warren H. - Courtnage, Lee
- Date: 1938
personal narrativeGerald McCarthy Collection Captain, Navy, Cold War - New London, Connecticut; Pearl Harbor; Charleston, South Carolina; United States Naval Academy, Maryland; Naval War College, Rhode Island; Washington, DC; Indiana. Cold War.
- Contributor: Lugar, Richard - U.S. Senate/Richard Lugar - McCarthy, Gerald - Brouillette, Susan
- Date: 1949
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Audio - 00:54:06.0
personal narrativeEdward H. Mortimer Collection Captain, Navy, Cold War - Annapolis, Maryland; Pacific; Pearl Harbor, and Ford Island, Hawaii; New London, Connecticut; Charleston, South Carolina; United Kingdom; North Sea; Atlantic; Pacific; Guam (Mariana Islands).
- Contributor: Aarp, Georgia - Brown, William - Roseman, Malcolm - Mortimer, Edward H.
- Date: 1954
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 01:30:06.3
personal narrativeArthur L. Rehme Collection Captain, Navy, Vietnam War, 1961-1975 - New London, Connecticut; Norfolk, Virginia; Portland, Oregon; Richland, Washington; Camp Mercury, Nevada; Sandia Base and Los Alamos, New Mexico; Arco, Idaho; Portsmouth, New Hampshire; Pearl Harbor,...
- Contributor: Kent, Judith - Rehme, Arthur L. - Flagler County Public Library - William S. Kent
- Date: 1957
personal narrativeJohn Perry Richardson Collection Fire Controlman, Navy, World War, 1939-1945 - Great Lakes, Illinois; New London, Connecticut; New York; Manitowoc, Wisconsin; Boston, Massachusetts; Pacific; Australia; New Guinea; Hunters Point, California; South China Sea. Fire Controlman, Navy,...
- Contributor: Bissett, Alexandria - The History Show / Chelmsford Telemedia - Richardson, John Perry - Tari, Villu
- Date: 1942
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 01:47:32.2
personal narrativeMarion L. Shinn Collection Radar Technician Second Class, Navy, World War, 1939-1945 - Boise, Idaho; Bremerton, Washington; New London, Connecticut; Mare Island, California; Marshall Islands; Palau; Saipan (Northern Mariana Islands); Australia; Philippines; South China Sea; Pacific...
- Contributor: Shinn, Marion L. - Powell, Margaret
- Date: 1942
personal narrativeRonald P.C. Waller Collection Petty Officer First Class, Navy, Cold War - San Diego, and Treasure Island, California; New London, Connecticut; South Carolina; Idaho; Scotland; Spain; Atlantic.
- Contributor: Walker Nelson - Wagner, Dakota - Northland Pines High School - Geitner, Charles - Waller, Ronald P.C.
- Date: 1960
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Audio - 01:28:31.0