Established by Congress in 2000, two years before the start of the current conflicts in the Middle East, the Veterans History Project has endeavored to include the personal accounts of all veterans, past and contemporary. In this online presentation, we turn our eye to America's most recent veterans: those who served in Afghanistan and Iraq as part of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom. In their interviews, these veterans discuss a vast array of experiences and topics, many of them unique to the war on terror: multiple and often unexpected overseas deployments, new technology and means of engagement, and the impact of the September 11 terrorist attacks. While these 21st century veterans have navigated unforeseen challenges, their stories also illustrate the constants of the universal military experience, and give voice to today’s human experience of war.
21st Century Conflicts: Afghanistan and Iraq
personal narrativeStephen Clay Baxter Collection Major, Air Force, Iraq War, 2003-2011 - Iraq; United States.
- Contributor: Baxter, Stephen Clay - Durham Western Heritage Museum - Vasquez, Luis - Lothrop, Ashley
- Date: 1989
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 00:39:21.3
personal narrativeKevin Wayne Collier Collection Sergeant First Class, Army, Afghan War, 2001- - Fort Campbell, Kentucky; Camp Pelham, Korea; Anderson, Missouri; Joplin, Missouri; Monett, Missouri; Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri; Alaska; Camp Virginia, Kuwait; Bangor, Maine. Army, Iraq...
- Contributor: Missouri State University - Susie Brown - Bledsoe, Gabriel - Johnson, Julie - Collier, Kevin Wayne
- Date: 1991
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 01:49:13.8
personal narrativeStephen M. Collins, Jr. Collection Staff Sergeant, Marine Corps, Iraq War, 2003-2011 - San Diego, California; Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Fort Knox, Kentucky; Nasiriyah, Iraq; Camp Shoup, Kuwait. Staff Sergeant, Marine Corps, Afghan War, 2001- - Fort Knox,...
- Contributor: Lugar, Richard - U.S. Senate/Richard Lugar - Huffman, Emmy - Collins Jr., Stephen M.
- Date: 1993
personal narrativeJaden J. Kim Collection Captain, Marine Corps, Afghan War, 2001-. Marine Corps, Iraq War, 2003-2011.
- Contributor: Wilson, Eleanor - Women in Military Service for America Memorial Foundation, Inc. (Wimsa) - Kim, Jaden J. - Reborchuk, Margaret
- Date: 1997
personal narrativeJoelpatrick Victor Leger Collection Specialist, Army, Iraq War, 2003-2011 - Bahamas; Korea; Egypt; Kuwait; Iraq; Fort Campbell, Kentucky; Hunter Field, Georgia.
- Contributor: Leger, Joelpatrick Victor - Central Connecticut State University - McGuckin, Briana - Hurst, Eileen
- Date: 1997
personal narrativeBrock Robert McIntosh Collection Specialist, Army, Afghan War, 2001- - Firebase Waza Khwa, Afghanistan; Forward Operating Base Salerno, Khost City, Afghanistan; Freeport, Illinois; Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Washington, DC.
- Contributor: Library of Congress - McIntosh, Brock Robert - Quick, David
- Date: 2006
personal narrativePaul Franklin Mercer Collection Sergeant, Army, Iraq War, 2003-2011 - Fort Hood, Texas; Camp Liberty, Iraq.
- Contributor: Mercer, Paul Franklin - Russo, Tanner - Cheatwood, John - Fauquier Historical Society
- Date: 2005
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Audio - 01:38:35.0
personal narrativeMarissa L. Pelke Collection Captain, Army, Afghan War, 2001- - Fort Drum, New York; Camp Phoenix, Kabul, Afghanistan.
- Contributor: Lugar, Richard - Cox, Dane - Pelke, Marissa L. - U.S. Senate/Richard Lugar
- Date: 2001
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Audio - 00:39:15.0
personal narrativeAnthony Mario Roberti Collection Chief Petty Officer, Navy, Afghan War, 2001- - Nuristan, Afghanistan; Forward Operating Base (FOB) Kalagush, Afghanistan.
- Contributor: Roberti, Anthony Mario - Gier, Eric - Rick Gier
- Date: 2009
personal narrativeDebra Lee Roesler Collection Lieutenant Colonel, Army, Afghan War, 2001- - Hawaii; Berkeley, California; Fort Leavenworth, Kansas; Atlanta, Georgia; Kuwait; Fort Drum, New York; West Point, New York. Army, Iraq War, 2003-2011.
- Contributor: Roesler, Debra Lee - Taylor, Lisa - Library of Congress
- Date: 1986
- Resource: Interview / Recording - Video - 00:58:56.4
personal narrativeJared Daniel Taylor Collection Staff Sergeant, Marine Corps, Iraq War, 2003-2011 - Soto Cano Air Base, Honduras; Bahrain; Kuwait; Fallujah, Iraq.
- Contributor: Taylor, Jared Daniel - Central Connecticut State University - Cerosky, Gregg - McGuckin, Briana
- Date: 1999