Events & Resources
- Baseball Resources at the Library of Congress
Baseball Resources at the Library of Congress is a guide to baseball-related materials available on the Library's website and in its physical collections. The breadth and depth of materials highlighted will appeal to baseball researchers, while casual and diehard fans alike will find many digitized items documenting the history of baseball to fuel their passion for the game.
- Blog posts
Blog posts from across the Library of Congress on the topic of baseball.
Find archived recordings of past Library of Congress events related to baseball.
- Baseball's Greatest Hits: The Music of Our National Game Exhibition
This exhibition features baseball sheet music from the collections of the Music Division at the Library of Congress.
- Benjamin K. Edwards Baseball Card Collection
The Benjamin K. Edwards Collection includes 2,100 early baseball cards dating from 1887 to 1914. Distributed in cigarette packs, these cards were the forerunners of modern sports trading cards. They portray such legendary figures of the game as Ty Cobb stealing third base for Detroit, Tris Speaker batting for Boston, and pitcher Cy Young posing in his Cleveland uniform. Although many of the greatest players from the first decades of professional baseball are represented, the collection does not include individual cards for either Honus Wagner or Babe Ruth.
- Baseball, the Color Line, and Jackie Robinson
This presentation features collections from across the Library of Congress related to groundbreaking baseball player Jackie Robinson.
- Baseball Music Collection
This presentation features 147 items of sheet music that reference baseball from the late nineteenth century to the early twentieth century.
- Primary Source Set: Baseball Across a Changing Nation
Study cultural norms and society's values through the lens of baseball
Read More About It
- Block, David. Baseball Before We Knew It: A Search for the Roots of the Game. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2005.
- Dickson, Paul. The Dickson Baseball Dictionary. 3rd ed. New York: W.W. Norton & Co, 2009.
- Casway, Jerrold I. The Culture and Ethnicity of Nineteenth Century Baseball. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Co., 2017.
- Flood, Curt. The Way It Is. New York: Trident Press, 1971.
- Katz, Harry, et al. Baseball Americana: Treasures from the Library of Congress. New York: Smithsonian Books/HarperCollins, 2009, 2018.
- Lewis, Michael. Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game. New York: W.W. Norton & Co., 2003.
- Lowenfish, Lee. Branch Rickey: Baseball's Ferocious Gentleman. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2009.
- Luke, Bob. The Most Famous Woman in Baseball: Effa Manley and the Negro Leagues. Washington, D.C.: Potomac Books, 2011.
- Mucciarone, Monica. Alexander Cartwright: The Life Behind the Baseball Legend. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2009.
- Murphy, Cait. Crazy '08: How a Cast of Cranks, Rogues, Boneheads, and Magnates Created the Greatest Year in Baseball History. New York: Smithsonian/HarperCollins, 2007.
- Perelman, Josh, ed. Chasing Dreams: Baseball and Becoming American. Philadelpia: National Museum of American Jewish History, 2014.
- Ring, Jennifer. Stolen Bases: Why American Girls Don't Play Baseball. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2009.
- Robinson, Craig. Flip Flop Fly Ball: An Infographic Baseball Adventure. New York: Bloomsbury USA, 2011.
- Schwarz, Alan. The Numbers Game: Baseball's Lifelong Fascination with Statistics. New York: T. Dunne Books. 2004.
- Thorn, John. Baseball in the Garden of Eden: The Secret History of the Early Game. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2011.
- Tye, Larry. Satchel: The Life and Times of an American Legend. New York: Random House. 2009.
- Wendel, Tim and José Luis Villegas. Far From Home: Latino Baseball Players in America. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic, 2008.
For Young Readers
- Jeter, Derek and Paul Marshall. The Contract. New York: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers. 2014.
- Herman, Gail. Who Was Jackie Robinson? New York: Grosset & Dunlap, 2011.
- Herzog, Brad. H is for Home Run. Chelsea, Michigan: Sleeping Bear Press. 2004.
- Kelly, David A. The Capital Catch [Ballpark Mysteries Series]. New York: Random House, 2017.
- Macy, Sue. A Whole New Ball Game: The Story of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League. New York: H. Holt, 1993.
- Mochizuki, Ken. Baseball Saved Us. New York: Lee & Low, 1993.
- Simon, Coco. Katie, Batter Up [Cupcake Diaries Series]. New York: Simon Spotlight, 2011.
- Sports Illustrated Kids. Full Count: Top 10 Lists of Everything in Baseball. New York: Time Home Entertainment, Inc., 2012.